Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to source used Auger bucket for a 2003 Yard-Man 10.5hp/30"
What other snowblowers could I possibly source a used one from?

Yardworks? YardMachine? Craftsman? Etc. Any feedback on parts interchangeability is appreciated

Are all 6 bolt buckets the same?

Thx
Font Gas Nameplate Rectangle Signage

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
MTD, Troy-Bilt, possibly Cub Cadet.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Also, if you're in a bind, consider a smaller bucket if it has a good gearbox.

I picked up an MTD Gold 8.5 hp 26" snowblower last season that had a bad gearbox. A nearly identical MTD Gold 5hp 24" that had a seized engine became available less than 2 weeks later.

I transferred the dual auger pulley setup from the 26" bucket and installed it on the 24" bucket, so the end-result was an 8.5 hp 24" bucket machine with big wheels and dual auger belts. That thing threw pretty good!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Yes, do a Search, easy to find.

Reactions: Canadian Guy

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
If you go on their web site it will tell you. However you want a 2003 design so that throws a bit of a curve ball. Not sure if MTD branded White, Bolens or Troy bilt were made to the 2003 design. There are plenty of Yard-man and Craftsman out there. If you are willing to go down a bit to a 29 or 28 you may find lots more options. Is your engine a two shaft engine? that is something to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Also, if you're in a bind, consider a smaller bucket if it has a good gearbox.

I picked up an MTD Gold 8.5 hp 26" snowblower last season that had a bad gearbox. A nearly identical MTD Gold 5hp 24" that had a seized engine became available less than 2 weeks later.

I transferred the dual auger pulley setup from the 26" bucket and installed it on the 24" bucket, so the end-result was an 8.5 hp 24" bucket machine with big wheels and dual auger belts. That thing threw pretty good!
I was thinking of doing the same thing becasue I prefer more power but do not want more width. I have to get between parked cars and through gates so a 26" wide bucket does not work for me. A 24 just makes it. A 22 is perfect. Idealy I would like a 10 HP on a 22". May be impossible. But in the ideal world. My question is this, you have to bring the wheels in a bit so they are not sitting any wider than the 24" bucket?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My question is this, you have to bring the wheels in a bit so they are not sitting any wider than the 24" bucket?
As I recall, even with the big wheels, the wheels were sitting flush with the 24" bucket, if not a bit tucked in. With the skid shoes adding another ~1/2" to the width of the bucket per side, the track width of the wheels were definitely narrower than the bucket.

Otherwise, it would have been clumsy to use, for sure.

Snow Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
if you can find a bucket that looks like it with the same mounting type than get it. there is the ones that use 6 nut or the other style that uses 4 bolts. the one with 6 nuts are usually found on machines with dual shaft engine and have dual auger belts. the ones with 4 bolts is usually single shaft single belt.
this is what i think you likely have. it might likely be cheaper to find another complete machine than another bucket if this is the type you have

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you can find a bucket that looks like it with the same mounting type than get it. there is the ones that use 6 nut or the other style that uses 4 bolts. the one with 6 nuts are usually found on machines with dual shaft engine and have dual auger belts. the ones with 4 bolts is usually single shaft single belt.
this is what i think you likely have. it might likely be cheaper to find another complete machine than another bucket if this is the type you have
Thanks Crazzy, Yeah it has double shaft and dual belts. It also has steering assist and heated grips, which is why I'm trying to salvage it, but you're right, I may end up totally replacing it. We'll see
Automotive tire Rim Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Combat vehicle Helmet Army

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
you can always try and look for another bucket but generally a good bucket will be attached to a good machine and you pay decent money for something with a clean bucket. you might be able to transfer the heated handle bars to another machine depending on the engine. started installing heated handle bars on a machine for my nephew. got them off a machine just like yours. how bad is the bucket on yours?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I can tell, the following MAY have 6 bolt buckets that are interchangeable:

Yard-Man
Yard Machines
Yard Works (older machines only)
MTD (genuine/Gold)
Craftsman (most)
Cub Cadet
Troy Bilt

Thanks for the replies fellas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
you can always try and look for another bucket but generally a good bucket will be attached to a good machine and you pay decent money for something with a clean bucket. you might be able to transfer the heated handle bars to another machine depending on the engine. started installing heated handle bars on a machine for my nephew. got them off a machine just like yours. how bad is the bucket on yours?
I have a line on a few Craftsman buckets that a friend has (free), so I was glad to find out that they are actually MTD and may fit. Will be looking at them tmrw. My 30" bucket is rusted out at 3 bolt holes. 2 of the bolts actually came through the bucket with the tractor portion when splitting (can probably tell from pic above?), and was really loose causing auger belt failures.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
i have likely seen worse still in operation lol. ya i saw the bolts still attached to the tractor but that is repairable is the bucket was not too bad.

like i already said. mtd have to mounting styles the one that you have and then they got the style with 4 bolts. hopefully your friend has one that will work. there is still lots out there but they are just not as common as the 4 bolt type since the 4 bolt ones are still being sold to this day.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
As I recall, even with the big wheels, the wheels were sitting flush with the 24" bucket, if not a bit tucked in. With the skid shoes adding another ~1/2" to the width of the bucket per side, the track width of the wheels were definitely narrower than the bucket.

Otherwise, it would have been clumsy to use, for sure.

View attachment 186213
Nice work. I have never seen an MTD Gold in person. Gold implies top of the line. Do they offer anything beyond the other MTD offerings. I.E. more features, more robust, etc. Or is it just another MTD with a different name and color. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I had a MTD Gold, 24" with 250CC Briggs.
No difference in construction quality from a standard MTD. Flimsy bucket and easily bent augers, poor chute mechanism and chute cables would often freeze up..
It did have trigger steering, drift cutters and heated hand grips.
Impeller kit improved it's performance quite a bit.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Rolling

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Nice work. I have never seen an MTD Gold in person. Gold implies top of the line. Do they offer anything beyond the other MTD offerings. I.E. more features, more robust, etc. Or is it just another MTD with a different name and color. Just curious.
It looked just like regular MTD, but I will say that the condition of the paint on the 26" bucket as well as the 24" replacement was shockingly good. Usually, I find the paint peeling badly on old MTDs.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Many older MTD had a serious paint production problem ... faulty process for sure, as many peeled right off, either faulty powder coat adhesion, bad prep, no primer, whatever ...

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
It looked just like regular MTD, but I will say that the condition of the paint on the 26" bucket as well as the 24" replacement was shockingly good. Usually, I find the paint peeling badly on old MTDs.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Seems like an average MTD plus remote chute angle control and trigger steering. In the past most did not have those features. Most MTD's seem to rust easier. I am always cleaning up rust and painting mine.

Ziggy: I see you installed better skid shoes. How do you like that Briggs Engine?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
When we bought our current house, the MTD came with it and it already had those skid shoes on it.

I sold the machine 3 years ago, midway through the first winter, needed a bigger and better machine for our 250' gravel driveway and big snow falls.

The Briggs engine always ran well and the impeller mod really improved the performance of the machine.

What I really didn't like was that the machine felt flimsy especially when tackling a large EOD pile, bent augers could be straightened by hand. The joy stick chute control and plastic mechanism was terrible, it and the chute control cables were always freezing up.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Machine
Product Gadget Font Material property Technology

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.