Snowblower Forum banner

I think I threw the impeller belt on Toro 824OE??

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  orangputeh 
#1 ·
I thought I had worked things out with my Toro 824OE and it's insatiable appetite for destroying auger shear bolts , but after about 4 hours today of blowing 8-10" thick heavy wet snow that fell last night, my machine locked up and stopped right as I was finishing the very last of the snow I needed to clear today. I thought maybe I hit a rock or stump, but dug through the snow and no sign of anything, just heavy fresh snow. It started and I lightly tried to engage the auger and it resisted with a tiny bit of a squealing noise, so I drove it back to the shop where I could safely clear out all the ice and snow and once again confirmed it would not engage the auger and again heard the squealing noise that I assume is the sound of a belt that jumped the pulley and is wedged into something.

I parked it for the day and figured I had a big enough day and would deal with it later after doing some research. Guessing I need to put it into "service mode" and remove the plates which I have not done before and hope I can do that by myself. Probably my fault for not inspecting and adjusting the belts and checking things out sooner, but hoping nothing major.

I will do some searching, but feel free to point me in the right direction. There is a local Toro dealer that should have new belts if I am lucky. But tomorrow I am going XC skiing as we have epic snow now and time to take a breather and have some fun! Hey, at least I got everything cleared I wanted to do, so the snow gods threw me a bone this time around! Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
My google search found this very disturbing issue with the housing length not being consistent with this model 37798 resulting in pressure on the impeller bearing and overheating the bearing. Other people are reporting they are having the same problem in the comments. **** poor engineering and hoping this is not my problem as it looks way too expensive to try and replace all the parts including entire housing unit. Hopefully mine is simple belt replacement and adjustment, but very disturbing video these Toro service guys made to document this issue with this particular model.

#5 ·
I found this video on belt replacement for a similar Toro. Looks pretty straightforward and you can do the whole job from the top. But betting I need to figure out if the belt is wrapped around something below and or if I have a bad bearing and will have to access the bottom.

#6 ·
Problem solved! I had a little time today before going xc skiing and inspected the belts under the plastic cover. They looked like new with good tension. I took another look at the impeller area and saw a very tiny rock, like 1/2" sized with a sharp beveled edge had wedged itself under the impeller blade and chocked the impeller against the housing where it could not move. My squeal noise was the sound of the belts trying to spin the impeller that was not moving. Easy peazy! Good thing, just got about 8" today on top of the 10" yesterday and more on the way tonight.

#7 ·
I thought I had worked things out with my Toro 824OE and it's insatiable appetite for destroying auger shear bolts , but after about 4 hours today of blowing 8-10" thick heavy wet snow that fell last night, my machine locked up and stopped right as I was finishing the very last of the snow I needed to clear today. I thought maybe I hit a rock or stump, but dug through the snow and no sign of anything, just heavy fresh snow. It started and I lightly tried to engage the auger and it resisted with a tiny bit of a squealing noise, so I drove it back to the shop where I could safely clear out all the ice and snow and once again confirmed it would not engage the auger and again heard the squealing noise that I assume is the sound of a belt that jumped the pulley and is wedged into something.

I parked it for the day and figured I had a big enough day and would deal with it later after doing some research. Guessing I need to put it into "service mode" and remove the plates which I have not done before and hope I can do that by myself. Probably my fault for not inspecting and adjusting the belts and checking things out sooner, but hoping nothing major.

I will do some searching, but feel free to point me in the right direction. There is a local Toro dealer that should have new belts if I am lucky. But tomorrow I am going XC skiing as we have epic snow now and time to take a breather and have some fun! Hey, at least I got everything cleared I wanted to do, so the snow gods threw me a bone this time around! Thanks
The obvious thing to me is to remove belt cover and look at your belts.....

thaw out the machine and inspect belts, cables, possible obstructions in augers and impeller. ( pull boot off plug )

snowblower diagnostics 101

I am not reading the other posts.
2023 resolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.