Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was at a garage sale today and they had a 5-HP 21 inch Craftsman electric start snow blower. When I asked about it they said they got it from a family member and they don’t want much because it smokes when you start it.

I started it with the electric start and yup the 5 HP Tecumseh 2 stroke motor smoked a bit, and it ran great. I tried to explain about 2 stroke engines but I don’t think I got through. I shut it down and started it again with the pull rope. Still ran great and looked pretty good too.

I asked what they wanted for it and they said $15.00

I said well.............. OK.

I am feeling a little bit guilty, but I did try to explain.

·
Super Moderator
2,688 Posts
Blower

You tried to tell them and they didn't listen. Sounds like you did all the right things and got a snowblower for a great price - well done.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Tell me you had to spend a day cleaning it up to get it to look like that. What a deal!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell me you had to spend a day cleaning it up to get it to look like that.
Just a once over with a damp rag. :D

I did try and tell them how a 2 stroke works. They seemed more interested in just getting rid of it. When I got it home I took it apart and gave it the once over. It needed nothing and even the inside of the carb was good. Ran it again for a longer time and did some shutdowns and restarts. Thing runs great with no issues. I really don’t need it as I have the MTD version of this same blower for small jobs and the big Ariens for lager jobs.

If this turns out as these things usually do someone in the family, or a close friend will want it. In that case I will be lucky to get the 15 bucks back. Perhaps I can sell it before they find out. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Those retailed for $499.00!!

I have one of those I bought new for $499.00. I have run the **** out of it and can't wear it out. It replaced the 3hp I had which my brother-in-law is still using. The 5hp doesn't bog down and parts are available. I had to replace augur housing that a rock cracked.

The electric start on both my Sears single stage blowers crapped out early. The 5hp unit show in pic is built entirely in China.... Didn't realize until later.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I set it out at the end of the drive with a sigh on it for $150. It lasted 2 days and the guy took it at the asking price.:eek:

I need to find more like this.:D

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Now that's a nice return on investment!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts