Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread is still inside and it is tight for now. But I think as soon as I use it it will not hold tight? Just the head came off, thread still inside.

Shoot

any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can try to drill it out and retap the hole. Or weld on a nut and try backing it out (the heat from the welder will help loosen it). Or get one of those doodads that drills it self in and allows you to back it out. But put a LOT of PB blaster or Kroil or whatever on that bolt first.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Prob will end up having to drill and retap as stated. If the head broke off, odds are the little bit still sticking out is not going to be enough for you to grab and twist out with vice grips. Drilling and retapping is not that bad as long as you take your time. Start with a small bit and work your way up until you get it out.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Depending on how the gearbox is set up, you might have a lot of bolt sticking out once you take the gearbox apart.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you have to drill to use the easy out get a drill bit that is twisted "backwards", a twist to the left as opposed to standard bits that twist to the right. To drill the drill motor runs in "reverse" and generally the bolt will come out without the need of the easy out. They work wonders. I keep an index of them for just such occasions.
Remember to use plenty of penetrating oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just the head is off, the rest of the threads are holding it together.

Can I make it through at least one snow storm before fixing it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just the head is off, the rest of the threads are holding it together.

Can I make it through at least one snow storm before fixing it?

Impossible to say.
One thing you could try is to take a center punch and expand what is remaining of the threads. That may provide enough metal to hold for awhile.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If it's not the only bolt holding things together may not be an issue. But again, if you have a little MIG you could weld a nut on to it, welding in the hole of the nut.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Done this many times it's a few easy Steps- first soak with PB blaster or liquid wrench, then ctr-punch a few times dead center then drill with appropriate size bit for that easy-out you will be using ,then easy out use a little PB blaster at the end and tap the easy out in straight and then back remaining threads out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I will find out if it holds and then try fixing this after 6 to 9 inch storm. I think I'm gonna do just like you said. I have the tap. But I don't have a mig. If I can get the last screw end out then I can go buy a bolt.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Depending on how the gearbox is set up, you might have a lot of bolt sticking out once you take the gearbox apart.
My exact thoughts, if the broken bolt is flat with the surface now. Take out the rest of the bolts, carefully. remove the rest of the side cover
You should end up with a bolt about 1/8",,,,,hit it with rust buster.......good stuff....NOT WD40, get a good grip with vice grips...NOT PLIERS Carefully remove the broken bolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts