Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace a 16 year old 8HP 24 inch Yardman. Live in South East PA so we get a few 6 to 8 inch storms with the occasional 12+ inches. Have a 2 car wide driveway which is about 60 feet long and about 350 feet of sidewalk. Slight slope on driveway, but nothing to worry about. On my corner, we have the school bus stop so I am responsible for cutting a path from the sidewalk to the road. What makes this difficult is the plow always piles up the snow in this exact area. My son has also made a few dollars by knocking on doors in our neighborhood and clearing their driveways and sidewalks.

Here are my goals:
1. No regrets in the future. I would rather overbuy features and power than not have them
2. I am a sucker for features. Heated grips, electric controls for chutes, etc. Even though they many not be practical, I love them!
3. Ability for my wife to use the snowblower when I'm traveling. She likes clearing snow but did not enjoy having to throw around the Yardman to get it to turn. Also it was very hard to start without the electric start.
4. I want to never worry if we get 20 inches of snow!

Where I live, we have a lot of equipment dealers. There are 3 dealers within 15 minutes of my house so I have access to Ariens, Honda, Cub Cadet, Toro, and Simplicity. Went to one dealer yesterday and described what I was looking for. He told me that:

1. The Honda's were great, but were more than I needed
2. Toro's were a good choice, but not his first choice based on his service calls and reliability
3. Was not a huge fan of the Cub Cadet line based on value (opinion was you could spend $100 more and get a better machine from Ariens or Toro)
4. Huge fan of the Ariens line and thought that the Deluxe 24 was the right product for me

I kept asking him about the added features on the Platinum line (heated grips, auto chute, bigger engine, EFI, and SHO) and he said that I can sell you one with all the bells and whistles, but you will never really get the benefit based on the size of my property. He strongly felt that the Deluxe 24 (No SHO) was the perfect model for me. He had all the models in stock so this was not a case of him pushing a certain unit because he did not have inventory on the others. I actually had a salesperson trying to sell me down to a lower level machine.

Here are my questions.
1. Do you think I'm "crazy" by trying to get these added features?
2. Thoughts on EFI? Is it worth the $300?
3. Should I include the Honda's in my consideration set? If so, any reco on which model?
4. Has anyone ever overbought features and regret it?
5. 24 inch model seems perfect for me. Is there any real reason to go up to 28 or 30?

Appreciate all the help. I'm 52 and hoping this is my last snowblower purchase I will ever need to make. Willing to spend more to get quality and features.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Let me guess. The dealer was primarily an Ariens dealer. I would suggest that having a good relationship with the service dealer most honest in your area should rank right up there with what machine you should get.

Based on my reading here, there are no brands that can absolutely deliver "no regret" 100% of the time. They all can give problems. I've come across many Ariens problem posts just as you will find for others.

So with that said other than the cheapest off brand names, I would think any 8 hp 24 or 26 inch with some kind of steering assist will do the job you need done.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Looking to replace a 16 year old 8HP 24 inch Yardman. Live in South East PA so we get a few 6 to 8 inch storms with the occasional 12+ inches. Have a 2 car wide driveway which is about 60 feet long and about 350 feet of sidewalk. Slight slope on driveway, but nothing to worry about. On my corner, we have the school bus stop so I am responsible for cutting a path from the sidewalk to the road. What makes this difficult is the plow always piles up the snow in this exact area. My son has also made a few dollars by knocking on doors in our neighborhood and clearing their driveways and sidewalks.

Here are my goals:
1. No regrets in the future. I would rather overbuy features and power than not have them
2. I am a sucker for features. Heated grips, electric controls for chutes, etc. Even though they many not be practical, I love them!
3. Ability for my wife to use the snowblower when I'm traveling. She likes clearing snow but did not enjoy having to throw around the Yardman to get it to turn. Also it was very hard to start without the electric start.
4. I want to never worry if we get 20 inches of snow!

1 yr used 28 pro
new 28 pro

Where I live, we have a lot of equipment dealers. There are 3 dealers within 15 minutes of my house so I have access to Ariens, Honda, Cub Cadet, Toro, and Simplicity. Went to one dealer yesterday and described what I was looking for. He told me that:

1. The Honda's were great, but were more than I needed
2. Toro's were a good choice, but not his first choice based on his service calls and reliability
3. Was not a huge fan of the Cub Cadet line based on value (opinion was you could spend $100 more and get a better machine from Ariens or Toro)
4. Huge fan of the Ariens line and thought that the Deluxe 24 was the right product for me

I kept asking him about the added features on the Platinum line (heated grips, auto chute, bigger engine, EFI, and SHO) and he said that I can sell you one with all the bells and whistles, but you will never really get the benefit based on the size of my property. He strongly felt that the Deluxe 24 (No SHO) was the perfect model for me. He had all the models in stock so this was not a case of him pushing a certain unit because he did not have inventory on the others. I actually had a salesperson trying to sell me down to a lower level machine.

Here are my questions.
1. Do you think I'm "crazy" by trying to get these added features?
2. Thoughts on EFI? Is it worth the $300?
3. Should I include the Honda's in my consideration set? If so, any reco on which model?
4. Has anyone ever overbought features and regret it?
5. 24 inch model seems perfect for me. Is there any real reason to go up to 28 or 30?

Appreciate all the help. I'm 52 and hoping this is my last snowblower purchase I will ever need to make. Willing to spend more to get quality and features.
1 yr old used 28 pro 1500
new 28 pro 2200

·
Registered
178 Posts
I feel like everyone loves their Honda blower but they're pricey. If it were me and I didn't want to pay for a Honda I would personally get an ariens.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Another Honda or Ariens thead...just sayin.

Hey OP, let me ask you something... did your yardman ever let you down? Did it do everything you need it to do? Are you doing more than just your property?

What's the reason you're looking for a new machine? What is it that you use for criteria for your purchase? Are you looking for validation or information?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
IMO the 24 deluxe is useless unless you buy it for 200 or 300 bucks
i still woudnt buy it
id rather have the a 358cc tec flatty
or a 318cc ohv on anything

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The Simplicity P1728E (28") 420cc Signature Pro has everything the OP has asked for in his opening post. I'm shocked that he has not looked at one or at the very least, bought one and posted the pics for us to see.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Let me guess. The dealer was primarily an Ariens dealer. I would suggest that having a good relationship with the service dealer most honest in your area should rank right up there with what machine you should get.

Based on my reading here, there are no brands that can absolutely deliver "no regret" 100% of the time. They all can give problems. I've come across many Ariens problem posts just as you will find for others.

So with that said other than the cheapest off brand names, I would think any 8 hp 24 or 26 inch with some kind of steering assist will do the job you need done.
just about all dealers lie
its why they called stealerships
they prey on those that are uniformed or dont know any better
If i went into a dealer with the wants the op listed and he said a 24 deluxe i would walk out
as he must not know blowers very well or more likely he has 150 of them and he is trying get rid of it
thats a for sure regret machine imo

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The Simplicity P1728E (28") 420cc Signature Pro has everything the OP has asked for in his opening post. I'm shocked that he has not looked at one or at the very least, bought one and posted the pics for us to see.
That's why I asked if he was looking for information or validation. I bought the Simplicity Signature 1524, which would be plenty for him. Not pushing it or anything else, don't know his needs, desires, or requirements, but when I buy a car I check every box and keep it till the wheels fall off... Toyota Sequoia going on 225K miles.

If someone wants no regrets, the Simplicity has everything PLUS electric chute controls. (which I think kick ass) Why it was ruled out, seems to be, like I said, a search for validation.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Well, the Hondas have a 3 year commercial warranty as well as a 3 year residential one. The Honda HSS1332 has a load sensor which stops the augers so you do not need shear bolts. There is also an hour meter, and a hydrostatic drive. I am waiting for Honda to add EFI, hopefully soon. At 62, I should have gotten the track drive, it does not ride up on the end of driveway pile. This is more important when you get into your older age and don't want to manhandle a machine. The Honda does not have heated grips.

For the Ariens, I would buy the EFI model for sure unless you are going to use non-ethanol fuel and drain the tank each year. I think the EFI will not get gummed up in the off season without a lot of fuss. I like their Platinum series with the 369cc engine, and that 24 inch model SHO EFI has an impressive power/size ratio. Their professional model, the Ariens Hydro Pro 28" ST28DLET 420cc Track Drive Snow Blower must be a fine machine, though not EFI yet and it is close to the price of the top of the line Honda 1332.

No regrets is tough though! Each brand has its strengths and its faults. If Honda ever makes an EFI, load sensor, track drive, hydrostatic transmission and electric start, I think it will be close to a "no regrets" machine. I have the Honda HSS 928AWD with the wheels, shear bolts and a carb that has to be "managed" at the end of the season. It does bog down at the end of the driveway pile. It also rides up at the end of driveway pile and takes some strength to keep it level. It will break shear bolts if it hits something. So, even with a premium brand, there is some imperfection.
Buy the best you can afford and remember that over 17 years, a $1000 difference is about 59 bucks a year.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That's why I asked if he was looking for information or validation. I bought the Simplicity Signature 1524, which would be plenty for him. Not pushing it or anything else, don't know his needs, desires, or requirements, but when I buy a car I check every box and keep it till the wheels fall off... Toyota Sequoia going on 225K miles.

If someone wants no regrets, the Simplicity has everything PLUS electric chute controls. (which I think kick ass) Why it was ruled out, seems to be, like I said, a search for validation.
If he needs a push ok....Get the Simplicity!!:grin:

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
of the machines the op asked about I think I would go with the ariens platinum sho24 cause his wife would be using it also
and hello smiller, welcome to SBF

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
One of the dealers I use. Sells both ariens and toro . The owner and all the employees own Toro's. But they sell more Ariens. For me I love my toro . But if I were to go to the dark side it would be a either an Ariens sho or maybe a simplicity pro or even a Honda if they ever fix the clogging issue. But never any thing made by MTD

·
Registered
772 Posts
just about all dealers lie
its why they called stealerships
they prey on those that are uniformed or dont know any better
If i went into a dealer with the wants the op listed and he said a 24 deluxe i would walk out
as he must not know blowers very well or more likely he has 150 of them and he is trying get rid of it
thats a for sure regret machine imo
He is in pa unless he gets major lake effect a deluxe is probably more than what he needs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
He is in pa unless he gets major lake effect a deluxe is probably more than what he needs.

thats a down grade from his current machine he cleary stated he wanted more power and no regrets and would rather have more power
it also has no heated grips as he said he wante
no remote chute control

·
Registered
772 Posts
thats a down grade from his current machine he cleary stated he wanted more power and no regrets and would rather have more power
it also has no heated grips as he said he wante
no remote chute control
I'm sure a deluxe can handle a fiew 6-8" storms if my single stage can

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I was to purchase a new blower, It would be without a doubt, the Simplicity P1728E.
My neighbor has one. It's a well made beast of a machine with the 420CC. He just blows through the snow, especially the end of driveway.
For the price, I don't think anything else comes close.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If I was to purchase a new blower, It would be without a doubt, the Simplicity P1728E.
My neighbor has one. It's a well made beast of a machine with the 420CC. He just blows through the snow, especially the end of driveway.
For the price, I don't think anything else comes close.
I think the fit and finish, outside of some loose wires I cleaned up, is as good as anything out there, maybe better. It is really a well crafted and assembled product. Comes with the B&S "professional" series engine, which has beefier internals, has a little more HP, and cast iron cylinder.

I don't now much about this stuff, but what I do know is in commercial applications around here, all I see is Simplicity.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the fit and finish, outside of some loose wires I cleaned up, is as good as anything out there, maybe better. It is really a well crafted and assembled product. Comes with the B&S "professional" series engine, which has beefier internals, has a little more HP, and cast iron cylinder.
I don't now much about this stuff, but what I do know is in commercial applications around here, all I see is Simplicity.

I wish you many years with yours.
He cleaned up the wiring as well. That's all he needed to do. I was amazed when I got the opportunity to get behind his and use it for a few passes. I didn't want to give it back. That machine actually made removing snow enjoyable again. I was having so much fun, I felt like a teenager. I was really impressed with the power of the Brigg's, and the ease of use for such a heavy machine.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts