Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a problem that I haven't had to deal with with any other snowblowers I've owned or used in the past. I have a JD 522 that is new to me this season. I used it this past weekend and it ran great, but tonight when I went out to clear the couple of inches we got the impeller was iced up and frozen solid. There is about a 1/8" gap behind the impeller that snow from last weekend got packed behind and froze tight. After I figured out what was going on I used a propane torch and melted the ice and all was fine. Has anyone run into this in the past, and what did you do to help prevent it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, I do clear the snow out from the auger, front side of the impeller, auger housing and discharge chute. I don't get it perfectly clean but I try to get it pretty close.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forgot to mention, I do clear the snow out from the auger, front side of the impeller, auger housing and discharge chute. I don't get it perfectly clean but I try to get it pretty close.
I do this as well, and then as indypower said, I run the machine for a little while after the cleaning. Then before I grab the shovel for stairs and touch-ups, I leave the blower out and turn it towards the sun. Sitting out for a half hour or so, (unless it's really cold out), usually prevents freeze ups.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
The blowers I have seen have a little drain hole in the bottom/back of the impeller area. Maybe yours got clogged up or you could try drilling a small hole back behind the impeller?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts