·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like an older MTD to me. Difficult to tell with the poor picture angle.
If it is...anything to look or specifically? Problem areas? I will try to get model info. I was pricing new blowers today. We are getting pounded in Pittsburgh and it's crazy what the prices are for new ones. I am not entirely convinced they are built well-despite the price.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You will find many fans of old machines here. Most of us are running machines from the 60s and 70s. There are a few from the 80s. I am really like my old 77 Ariens. I don't have much experience with other blowers though. I would stay away from newer MTD stuff unless you get a good deal. (MTD, Yard Man, Yard Machines, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, most Craftsman)

Ariens, Toro and Honda are the top 3 recommended brands here. The other brands are mostly a mix of quality and you have to know exactly what you are looking at to know if it is good quality or just cheap junk.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/13962-tips-buying-used.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will find many fans of old machines here. Most of us are running machines from the 60s and 70s. There are a few from the 80s. I am really like my old 77 Ariens. I don't have much experience with other blowers though. I would stay away from newer MTD stuff unless you get a good deal. (MTD, Yard Man, Yard Machines, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, most Craftsman)

Ariens, Toro and Honda are the top 3 recommended brands here. The other brands are mostly a mix of quality and you have to know exactly what you are looking at to know if it is good quality or just cheap junk.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/13962-tips-buying-used.html
Ah..great link. Thank you Sir!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
well you will have to call the guy and find out about the red one

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well you will have to call the guy and find out about the red one
I am having poor results thus far. Email sellers (they want to sell right?) no response. Call leave message. No response. I ...Craigslist.......:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Looks like an older MTD to me. Difficult to tell with the poor picture angle.
If it is...anything to look for specifically?
Yes..look the other way! ;)
With an abundance of used snowblowers to choose from, there is no reason to buy an older MTD, when you can do better..(and I dont mean "an abundance" from that one seller specifically..I just mean an abundance in general..)

For used, I would recommend sticking with Ariens, Toro, Honda, or Simplicity...even though older MTD's can be fine, (and with MTD "the older the better") I still wouldnt recommend one, when the alternatives are better..

Scot

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes..look the other way! ;)
With an abundance of used snowblowers to choose from, there is no reason to buy an older MTD, when you can do better..(and I dont mean "an abundance" from that one seller specifically..I just mean an abundance in general..)

For used, I would recommend sticking with Ariens, Toro, Honda, or Simplicity...even though older MTD's can be fine, (and with MTD "the older the better") I still wouldnt recommend one, when the alternatives are better..

Scot
Thanks Scott I am going to pick up a minty Toro 8/24 Saturday I can't wait.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts