Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after having great luck with my other two Ariens snow blowers I put word out to friends I was looking for an older Ariens blower. I purchased for a reasonable some a 1960's model. I am looking for other help in nailing down the model and year. I believe it may have been repowered at some point.

It does have the teardrop bowl on it.

It has two levers up front.

It has chrome handlebars.

It has a push bottom primer you depress while pulling over.

It has two small metal sliding knobs on the carb shield. One for throttle and one for choke. I found that odd as I see most from this era have throttle on the handle bars?

The engine is a reddish orange color...?? not typical white but it is a Tecomse (sp) engine. The engine recoil has a square shrowd but its square to the ground not like the ones I see pictured.

It has the under drive gear to rotate the chute. It is not the worm gear side drive.

The engine (I believe its been repowered)
Model number H70 - 130032
Serial number 8240 16011

I cannot find the Ariens sticker on the back of the housing and the model stamp was cut off for some reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photos

Its dark, n without lights or power in garage lol. Ill post some pics sunday. Thanks for the response so far!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The 8 in the (8)240 serial number seems to indicate a 1968 model, especially if it has the push and hold primer button.

·
Registered
864 Posts
what they said....looks like a 7HP and 1968 or 1978 without seeing the pics. nice little machine BTW

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after having great luck with my other two Ariens snow blowers I put word out to friends I was looking for an older Ariens blower. I purchased for a reasonable some a 1960's model. I am looking for other help in nailing down the model and year. I believe it may have been repowered at some point.

It does have the teardrop bowl on it.

It has two levers up front.

It has chrome handlebars.

It has a push bottom primer you depress while pulling over.

It has two small metal sliding knobs on the carb shield. One for throttle and one for choke. I found that odd as I see most from this era have throttle on the handle bars?

The engine is a reddish orange color...?? not typical white but it is a Tecomse (sp) engine. The engine recoil has a square shrowd but its square to the ground not like the ones I see pictured.

It has the under drive gear to rotate the chute. It is not the worm gear side drive.

The engine (I believe its been repowered)
Model number H70 - 130032
Serial number 8240 16011

I cannot find the Ariens sticker on the back of the housing and the model stamp was cut off for some reason.
Added pics. Thoughts ideas on the chassis or the engine?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Scot had it nailed down earlier...65-68 chassis and the engine appears to be '68 based on the numbers and exhaust. If it was a 78 it should have the square muffler. Definitely repowered, not sure what that tecumseh is off of though. I've never seen a recoil with an odd shape like that one. Maybe someone else has better info on the origin of the engine..?

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
North,
Thanks for posting the photos!

The engine is absolutely not the original engine..and its unusual, the serial number seems to say 1968,
but the muffler says 1960 to 1966, so thats a bit of a mismatch.
and that recoil "cover" is also odd..that might not be original,
as the red appears to be slightly different than the engine.

It probably is a 1968 engine though..perhaps different manufacturers spec'd different featured from Tecumseh..
I have snowbirds here:

Snowbird Snowblowers

That are believed to be around 1970, and still have the round "button" muffler! which Ariens machines last saw in '66.
The engine could be off a Snowbird, I cant think of anyone else using that shade of Red in the '60's.

Not that the origin of the engine matters at all! ;) its just a source of curiosity..its still a 7hp Tecumseh,
which is close to what the original engine was..basically a bolt-on replacement.

North, in your "photo 3" it appears there might be a dirty Ariens tag just under the base of the chute..any numbers on that tag?

Scot

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
North,
Thanks for posting the photos!

The engine is absolutely not the original engine..and its unusual, the serial number seems to say 1968,
but the muffler says 1960 to 1966, so thats a bit of a mismatch.
and that recoil "cover" is also odd..that might not be original,
as the red appears to be slightly different than the engine.

It probably is a 1968 engine though..perhaps different manufacturers spec'd different featured from Tecumseh..
I have snowbirds here:

Snowbird Snowblowers

That are believed to be around 1970, and still have the round "button" muffler! which Ariens machines last saw in '66.
The engine could be off a Snowbird, I cant think of anyone else using that shade of Red in the '60's.

Not that the origin of the engine matters at all! ;) its just a source of curiosity..its still a 7hp Tecumseh,
which is close to what the original engine was..basically a bolt-on replacement.

North, in your "photo 3" it appears there might be a dirty Ariens tag just under the base of the chute..any numbers on that tag?

Scot
7-10 M 84365 Good catch scott. . What does that turn out to be as far as the chassis?

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
7-10 M 84365 Good catch scott. . What does that turn out to be as far as the chassis?
That turns out to be 1965! :)

Now we only need to know only more thing to nail down the exact model..does the snowblower have a differential? Some do, some dont.

A differential means it has a full differential transmission, and a "differential lock" on the left wheel, right in the middle of the wheel:

That lock can set the machine so that it operates with the differential on, so the machine has full power to both wheels, but the wheels turn independently of each other, which makes turning very easy..or the axle can be "locked" so the axle is solid..which I guess gives more power. I have the differential on my '71 Ariens and I love it..I always have it set to "unlocked" so the wheels turn separately from each other..turning the machine is very easy when in use, and it turns easily even when the engine isnt running, for wheeling it around the garage and driveway when not running.

So take a look at that left wheel and let us know if you have a lock there or not..

Scot

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That turns out to be 1965! :)

Now we only need to know only more thing to nail down the exact model..does the snowblower have a differential? Some do, some dont.

A differential means it has a full differential transmission, and a "differential lock" on the left wheel, right in the middle of the wheel:

That lock can set the machine so that it operates with the differential on, so the machine has full power to both wheels, but the wheels turn independently of each other, which makes turning very easy..or the axle can be "locked" so the axle is solid..which I guess gives more power. I have the differential on my '71 Ariens and I love it..I always have it set to "unlocked" so the wheels turn separately from each other..turning the machine is very easy when in use, and it turns easily even when the engine isnt running, for wheeling it around the garage and driveway when not running.

So take a look at that left wheel and let us know if you have a lock there or not..

Scot
It does have the differential option on it. Just had it out to blow the last weeks worth of light accumulation off. Works great.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Mystery solved then! :)
You have a:

1965 Ariens model 10M6D.

The 6 means it originally had a 6HP engine on it, and the "D" is for differential.
(The D could also stand for "deluxe"..) but deluxe machines of that era had a differential! ;) so the D can stand for either..

The chrome handlebars indicate it was a top of the line model for its year..which would have been the 10M6 and 10M6D for 1965...but we know yours is the 10M6D because of the differential.

The engine definately is not original..its most likely a 1968 Tecumseh off of a Snowbird, although it could be from a different manufacturer too..

Scot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts