Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I'll ever us craigslist to sell anymore. Over the past couple of months I've been putting various items for sale on CL car parts, musical instruments, snowblowers etc...and all of these items that I've put on there 99.99% of the responses that I get are from someone in texas, ny, Georgia, new mexico ( I live in Michigan) sending me a text message saying they are interested in item please respond to the following email address.
This is getting beyond frustrating, and I think that I' m done trying to sell stuff with them.
Anyone else have this going on?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feel your pain. I don't sell a whole lot on Craigslist, but because of what you experienced, I state in the ad that I will not respond to texts or emails. If interested call.

That weeds out most of the scammers that send emails and texts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
First off . . . those people are not interested in what you are selling. They are interested in what they are asking for, namely your email address or phone number. They gather those bits of information to sell to marketing databases and spammers.

There is a delete button on your email system for this very reason.

You'll be able to tell the real ones from the phishing folks, and ignore the rest. Once you do that CL becomes reasonably useful again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree completely! Unfortunately I don't use eBay anymore because of the fees. Haven't used them in 8 years and won't, so I have been using Craigslist exclusively. The last item I tried to sell netted a total of 10!!!!!! spam text messages in 2 days. Not kidding. I won't do texting at all anymore, only e-mail and phone calls. They need to start cracking down on fraudulent postings too, which also pop up on eBay as well. Even people who aren't scammers will will promise to show up all the time but won't. Then there are the Paypal scams where they want to send you money first without seeing the item, then give you too much and ask for money back, etc... If I had other alternatives I'd use them, but for now I only sell stuff I really want to get rid of. Otherwise I don't bother because like you I am sick of it all.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I put in the ad no texts.....I get about twenty as soon as I place the ad, and just delete them without reading......Facebook Marketplace I just started using and get some results from........

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't think I'll ever us craigslist to sell anymore. Over the past couple of months I've been putting various items for sale on CL car parts, musical instruments, snowblowers etc...and all of these items that I've put on there 99.99% of the responses that I get are from someone in texas, ny, Georgia, new mexico ( I live in Michigan) sending me a text message saying they are interested in item please respond to the following email address.
This is getting beyond frustrating, and I think that I' m done trying to sell stuff with them.
Anyone else have this going on?
Tell me about these "musical instruments". I'm always looking for an odd ball, or interesting guitar. Just bought another today that was a good deal.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I much prefer email. It goes through the CL anonymizing system, which is nice, you aren't giving out your email address.

Unfortunately, calls or texts give out your phone number, which is probably more valuable to scammers/spammers, and is tougher to "replace". A throwaway email address is easy and free, but needing to get a new cell # is very unappealing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have bought and sold successfully many times on CL.

It is kinda' getting easier to spot fakes. Many times the reply wil have dashes in between the title posting. Ex: if one advertises "Honda superclean snowblower" and a reply comes back as "Honda-superclean-snowblower" with "-" in between then it is spam fake.

When I advertise, I will put in a manual question to answer. Ex: "Please reply with your favorite pro football team in the subject line to reduce SPAM." Generally, folks will know a football team and can answer it properly to which I will respond. If it does not have a team I will not reply.

If a person puts in a phone number i will not phone right away... I like to have a short dialog to converse very briefly. If a person is interested then they will keep up. If I reply to an inquiry and there is no return reply then I know they are jerking my time.

CL is a great way to buy/ sell if one is a little patient.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
maybe I should start switching everything to call only.
I think it is easier to do the weeding out over email. Of course if you do choose to take only phone calls, you can answer only the ones from local area codes.

When I was selling my Toro 3521 I got a text from a Colorado number asking about my email address or phone number (can't quite remember). My response to them was that they were contacting me from a Colorado phone number. They didn't reply after that.

Last weekend, I listed an IKEA bed frame on CL. I got an almost immediate call from a California number, then several other calls from local numbers. The California number turned out to be legit as they left a message, but something for callers to be aware of if they have recently moved and are using a phone number that appears to be out of the area.

I think I sold the bed frame in about 30 minutes after posting it . . . got about 6 inquiries within a short period of time.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
maybe I should start switching everything to call only.
i put in my cl ads to reply with phone number so i can call them. i won't put my phone number in. then they can find out where you live if they are bad.( reverse directories )

i don't respond to anything else unless they give me their phone. then i can use the reverse phone directory to get their name and address. then i know they are real and live in the area.

on average about 75% is legit this way. it's a pain but before it caused a lot of problems because of all the spam and scam phone calls.

you can also use Facebook market place or Nextdoor.com which is just local neighborhoods which to sign up you have use your real name and be verified. from face and nextdoor i am guessing the legits are very high.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
First off . . . those people are not interested in what you are selling. They are interested in what they are asking for, namely your email address or phone number. They gather those bits of information to sell to marketing databases and spammers.

There is a delete button on your email system for this very reason.

You'll be able to tell the real ones from the phishing folks, and ignore the rest. Once you do that CL becomes reasonably useful again.
i don't really use craigs list but around here most use Kijiji and all messages run though them to your email address and they mask your email address. i won't even consider giving out my number to people anymore. it is almost easier to just message people through the app on my phone. my phone makes it super simple to respond since most of my responses to people are the same and the responses pretty much just pop up at the typing of the first letter.

facebook marketplace can be a bit hit and miss. quite a few people generally don't read the **** ad and message you without reading where you are located. it does share it to lots of places and get the ad lots of traffic. i have sold a few things on the market place which would have likely been a bit tougher sell locally.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tell me about these "musical instruments". I'm always looking for an odd ball, or interesting guitar. Just bought another today that was a good deal.
I have a Peavey Delta Blues 210 amp that I'm trying to sell, or trade for something a little more face melty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts