Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep seeing guys talking about these and I'm curious how much it helps with slush.

I often get slush at the end of the driveway from salt on the road and by slush, I mean horrible to move even with a shovel. It's the slush you get that looks almost clear from the amount of water in it.

Will my Ariens 24" be able to handle this with an impeller kit?

And, how can anyone get themselves to drill into their impeller without crying? :confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
On youtube there is a guy that put out a with/without video. He's blowing heavy wet slushy edge of street stuff. It helps. He demonstrates it.

I prefer the method of thru-holes and small bolt/washer,nylock nuts over his method of self-tappers. Other than that it's the way to go.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The very wet stuff that fell last night was no problem for my 208cc Cub Cadet with the impeller kit. I did my whole driveway of slushy snow and didn't have to clear the chute once!

·
Registered
407 Posts
It helps.. hands down the best addition to a snowblower if you want to add or change anything. The holes being drilled is minor to the machine as they get filled with bolts and rubber on one side. You could put nylon or rubber washer on head side if worried about rust- but never is a issue after several years of use. Drill the holes carefully and remember to start with pilot holes so bit don't jump on you. take chute off and have too it. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
248 Posts
all i read about here is how great impeller kits are.
must be a reason no manufactuer sells them. if they are so great i would think some company would have a line from the factory with them

·
Registered
581 Posts
+1 on everything Geno said. I put one on the old toro 5/24 I have and it was like a different machine after I was done. It amazed me how much of a difference those little pieces of rubber made. I used and old tractor trailer mudflap that I ripped down to size on a tablesaw.

·
Registered
864 Posts
So I keep seeing guys talking about these and I'm curious how much it helps with slush.

I often get slush at the end of the driveway from salt on the road and by slush, I mean horrible to move even with a shovel. It's the slush you get that looks almost clear from the amount of water in it.

Will my Ariens 24" be able to handle this with an impeller kit?

And, how can anyone get themselves to drill into their impeller without crying? :confused:

it will no doubt help. when you get that heavy slush sleet snow, it's best to just plow it. or, let it melt, if at end of season. snowblowers never were made to move that stuff. they are snowblowers, not mudblowers or slushblowers.

to move slush you need something like a hydraulic pump, the kind they use to pump concrete. :rolleyes::D

the paddle kits help seal the impeller housing, but they also fill the impeller full of holes, and add a bunch of weight to the impeller. they are a catch 22, i.e. 2 steps ahead, one back.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
must be a reason no manufactuer sells them. if they are so great i would think some company would have a line from the factory with them
it will no doubt help. when you get that heavy slush sleet snow, it's best to just plow it. or, let it melt, if at end of season. snowblowers never were made to move that stuff. they are snowblowers, not mudblowers or slushblowers.

to move slush you need something like a hydraulic pump, the kind they use to pump concrete. :rolleyes::D

the paddle kits help seal the impeller housing, but they also fill the impeller full of holes, and add a bunch of weight to the impeller. they are a catch 22, i.e. 2 steps ahead, one back.

See this is what I don't understand.
If they are so great why doesn't a brand new Ariens or Honda come with it installed? It's $5 worth of rubber and hardware if you're doing it in mass production.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
There is a company that produces them. I have done this modification to two different blowers and they work.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
If they are so great why doesn't a brand new Ariens or Honda come with it installed? It's $5 worth of rubber and hardware if you're doing it in mass production.
Don,t know. Why don't you ask the manufacturer directly? All I know is there are a thousand guys on this forum who happily use them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Simplicity introduced the concept on its snow blowers decades ago but dropped it. Like many manufacturers cost savings probably entered into the decision to drop the feature. Current impeller and housings are simple welded fabrications and the extra tolerance between the housing and impeller is designed for piece-to-piece variability. The Impeller kits we install are custom fit to our machines. The impeller to housing clearance has a broad tolerance and gap between both is kept large to prevent metal to metal contact. Fitting rubber wipers to each impeller is tailored to each unique machine. In mfg. doing that on thousands of production machines requires custom fitting.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Don,t know. Why don't you ask the manufacturer directly? All I know is there are a thousand guys on this forum who happily use them.
No need to get nasty.
I'm just asking for opinions and explaining my thoughts. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Impellor kit

Heavy wet snow in Boston last night. My old Ariens would always clog the chute in that kind of stuff.I recently put kit on ..Tried as hard as I could today to get chute clogged and I could not..Throws regular snow lots higher and farther.I wish I had done it sooner.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
No need to get nasty.
I'm just asking for opinions and explaining my thoughts. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
I wasn't intending anything nasty. I just asked why don't you contact the machine manufacturer. That's all I intended. Maybe no one has approached them with the idea. My thought is they build in that distance to make their machines more "friendly". You know when machine performance is altered, tolerances closed off etc... Things tend to get a'little dicier.

·
Registered
407 Posts
One reason 'maybe' is that Clarence probably holds the Patent. Some machines.. Like Honda already got close tolerances so don't need them. Good question though- Really don't know the answer.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
honda wouldnt put them on because it would make it throw to far. imagine an hs1332 throwing the snow halfway down your street

·
Registered
657 Posts
Simplicity introduced the concept on its snow blowers decades ago but dropped it. Like many manufacturers cost savings probably entered into the decision to drop the feature. Current impeller and housings are simple welded fabrications and the extra tolerance between the housing and impeller is designed for piece-to-piece variability. The Impeller kits we install are custom fit to our machines. The impeller to housing clearance has a broad tolerance and gap between both is kept large to prevent metal to metal contact. Fitting rubber wipers to each impeller is tailored to each unique machine. In mfg. doing that on thousands of production machines requires custom fitting.
I would think they could design some simple flexible rubber flaps thick enough to do the job, have the impellers predrilled with 1/4 inch holes, and manufacture the flaps with slotted holes with varibility in mind so that during manufacture they could be installed easiliy, slid almost to contact with the housing and tightened with nylocks.

It's too bad they don't do it, as drilling inside the chute isn't all that fun with the machine put together. That said, I'm glad I have an extensive drill collection including extended length bits as it wasn't a problem with the right tools.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Did it on my 68 ariens with 212 predator, cannot clog chute, it will pump water
A couple years ago in March we had a wet heavy snow fall of about a foot of snow and about a week later it had melted and left a 2 inch deep puddle in the driveway and then we got another 6 inches of snow on top of it. I was blowing it and I went into the puddle and my machine was throwing a wet slushy water and snow mix about 4 feet out of the chute with out clogging at all. Before the impeller kit it it would have never been able to throw water and slush out like this. Great addition to any two stage blower

1 - 20 of 108 Posts