Snowblower Forum banner

impeller mod question

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  PhilThefarmer 
#1 ·
I have to change the belts on my 7/24 snapper, I thought this would be a good time to do it. Its really is pathetic (I'm sure replacing 27 y.o. belts will help). I saw a before and after video of the mod and it looks like mine in the last storm. I get the bolts (double nut to hold on?) and fender washers, but the rubber piece....is it a piece of tire I cut out or is there another option?

I assume taking the shroud off to do the belts will make it accessible for the mod? Also, what is good to coat the shroud? I saw wd-40 or car wax...are those good options? Other suggestions...

TIA

#2 ·
Baler belting, HD truck mud flap, tire side wall etc.

Remove the Chute for easier access to the impeller.

I like wax and Fluid Film as well as repainting inside the chute to aid casting and prevent snow from sticking.
There are hundreds of post on this topic

#5 ·
Even though I used track pads from the RR, that is not something people normally can get.

I would also use the baler belting. If your near on old farm, they probably have some they would give you, or a farm store or Tractor Supply. A piece of old corded truck mud flap would also work

#6 ·
I'm in the suburbs of Northern NJ, not really a farming area but there are some smaller hold outs I can check with to see if they have baler belt. I was thinking of using a sawzall on some tire sidewall (I saw the kits on ebay, but I need the mod for the upcoming storm). I was thinking double nut to lock it in (better than lock washers?), thought the self tapping screws might back out.

Thanks for the replies

#9 ·
I used a truck tire sidewall. It was hard cutting with a razor knife! I then figured out, if you keep dipping the knife blade in a cup of soapy water, it made it somewhat easier.
I think if I ever did it again, I would use the baler belt.
Luckily I haven't had the need since getting a 28sho.

#14 ·
Well what a day if you have impeller mod. We received about 4" of snow and probably an inch of rain. It is like walking on a sponge. Between the slush and the water I can see the mod really working and worth while. Last offer on ebay was $25 for the kit (1/4"....why 3/8", stronger I guess). Now I have to install the new pull start, put on the belts and do the impeller mod....man this thing is going to be in pieces on the garage floor...LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.