Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 MTD 5 h.p. Tecumseh model 550 and after all these years I figured it was time for a new blower. Well after seeing the prices of new ones (and I can afford a new one but I'm cheap) boy did I have some thinking to do. The old one was getting kinda tired so I found this website and did some research. I ended up buying a Harbor Freight 212 6.5 h.p. for the total price of $101.00 bought all new belts and a friction wheel. Went through and changed every bearing and bushing but the biggest change was adding the impeller mod. I tell ya anyone that doesn't do this is a fool. I can see why the snowblower companies don't because of the lawsuits and all. I ended up cutting an old tire and installing with stainless bolts. It's really warm today so the snow that is left is very soft and wet all I can say is wholly shoot I was blowing heavy wet snow 25 feet with huge smile on my face as I did it. So in conclusion.........DO IT!! I have now a totally different blower and all parts are new for less than $150.00 so I would like to thank everyone hear for there help and there posts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was called a fool for buying my snowblower in the first place, so can I still earn that same title for not installing the impeller rubbers?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sounds ridiculous but I'm kinda hoping far another storm just so I can go out and play.
It only sounds ridiculous to non snow blower people. Here, every regular member who has done a restoration pretty much feels the way you do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds funny being called a snowblower people but now I'm obsessed with this machine. Time for a repaint too. Custom paint that is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts