Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here from Boston area- I have an ancient Ariens 6hp, see attachments- today in the wet snow I think I broke the impeller roll pin, as the auger turns fine, but the impeller no longer turns with it, but spins freely by hand. Does anyone know the proper step to replacing this roll pin? It does not seem simple like the auger shear bolts. Thanks in advance to all replies :)

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Most likely have to remove the bucket from the body, remove the pulley coupler thing from the back of the shaft, remove the bushing holders from the sides of the bucket then pull the whole assembly out of the bucket. While you have it apart probably would not hurt to replace the bearing on the back of the bucket and the 2 bronze bushings on the sides of the rakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely a roll pin, I found a broken one in the impeller hole when cleaning the melting snow out of it - this repair cannot be done without removing the auger/impeller assembly?

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Should be able to pick them up at a hardware store. I'd check with a retailer that carries Ariens too. Probably a better bet to make sure you get the right size specific to your machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THX - so the chute is removed, I see no reason why I can't do this job without pulling the assembly out? :confused:

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
It could probably be done, but as long as you can get the pulley/coupler off the impeller shaft it would probably be easier to just remove it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after trying to do it thru the the chute hole, I ended up just removing the auger end brackets and end bolts and pulled the whole assembly straight out, without removing the rear pulley. Used 1.5" roll pins as I couldn't find find 1.25" ones, they seem to work OK. Just have to slide the splined end into the female bearing at the rear of the bucket (that was a lil tricky) and rebolt the auger ends to the brackets. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roll Pin

I was able to replace the roll pins through the chute without taking it off. I used a a punch set and a long piece of metal to tap them in. The thing is the roll pins keep snapping. Any thoughts on why the roll pins would keep breaking? :eek:

Thanks!!

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I would guess either your roll pins are much softer metal than what was originally in there, they are the wrong size (too small diameter) or something else is mechanically wrong. Does the impeller shaft slide forward and backwards a lot so that the impeller might be hitting something? Do you pick up rocks or something? Is there ice frozen around it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will check the shaft to see if it slides. I typcially don't pick up much debris because my driveway is smooth pavement. I did snap a stick the other day so maybe that caused it, but I would have thought the sheer pins would have gone first unless it went straight to the propeller.

Thanks for the reply....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone. Brand new to this site today BUT this was a great help to me. Thank you for the posts everyone made here. I know it is now nearing 6 years since the last post was made here but the info is still relevant. The Ariens I was working on was purchased new by my Dad back in December 1972, so it has been in the family since new. It is a 7hp snowblower and even though it is 44 years old now, it is still a good unit.

The issue I had was this morning (after the snowblower had not been used for a couple winters), I was using it and the roll pins broke so the impeller stopped. I ended up taking the chute off. That was easy because it only has 6 short little Phillips screws holding it on with 3 little metal plates underneath holding the chute in place. Actually, I only needed to take 4 of the screws out and just loosened the other 2. This gave me access to roll pins once the chute was lifted off. To make your life easier though, if you have some long punches (9 or 10" long) that will fit the 1/4" hole, you will be glad you bought them. If you have some 1/4" rod that is 10+ inches long, you could use that also.

Just wanted to let anyone know who has a early 1970's Ariens snowblower, it is possible to change those roll pins without taking too much apart.

Great site, glad I found it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glad to hear that this was feasible for you guys. When I first read the earlier posts, I was worried that the impeller shaft would be bent if you did this while still mounted on the bucket. I guess it depends on your degree of rust-welding. I had a terrible time trying to get mine off, and mine was out on the bench vise while I was doing it. I had the proper roll pins, but they were just completely rust welded in there. The shaft was also rust welded to the impeller fan, so that was fun loosening it.

Do yourself a favor and re-grease or anti-seize the shaft when you do this job.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I find it easier to remove the Gearbox and Impeller on the 10000 series.. You only have to remove (6) 7/16 nuts from the side bearing assembly, and (2) 3/4 Bolts from the auger shaft, knock out the side bearing carriers, and it slides right out. Easier to deal with once it is liberated. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts