Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2013 Ariens Pro 32 (926039). I recently noticed I have a bit of in/out (axial) play (towards and away from gearbox) of the impeller shaft and impeller. Maybe 1/8" or so. I have no radial play in the impeller bearing itself, just axial.

The whole shaft assembly (impeller, shaft and pulley) moves as one. It seems to slide in/out of the gearbox.

Plan on taking things apart once it gets a bit warmer and see if I see anything wrong. I can't recall if it did it before or not. Any ideas?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Not a Ariens, but had something similar on a Craftsman. On that one there's a bronze bushing on the impeller shaft that was worn out. Once replaced, the in-out issues were resolved.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
My machine does the same thing from new. It had an impeller shaft oil leak after 2 years and the dealer replaced all the seals in the gearbox and it still had the slight movement of the impeller shaft in and out of the gearbox. I think that is probably normal for a late model Ariens. My machine gets used a lot and the play has not changed in 5 seasons.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My machine does the same thing from new. It had an impeller shaft oil leak after 2 years and the dealer replaced all the seals in the gearbox and it still had the slight movement of the impeller shaft in and out of the gearbox. I think that is probably normal for a late model Ariens. My machine gets used a lot and the play has not changed in 5 seasons.
This is what I was thinking, but didn't know for sure. I thought I'd ask before I started pulling it apart chasing a problem which may not even exist.

·
Registered
326 Posts
At the very least make sure you have the correct oil in the diff. If you have oil then I wouldn't worry. Just monitor it to see if it gets worse. I had a bronze gear fail on another off name machine. It was so bad the pulley would loose tension. I sold the machine cheap with the info that it needed a repair.
Ariens claims the gear box is warrantied for 5 years or something. If true, your machine is fairly new yet. It should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts