Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a free Husky/MTD 30" 9HP snow blower with a broken reducer gear. I have it replaced, but now I can't get the impeller shaft through the bushing in the housing. I've tried putting a 2x4 on the new reducer gear and hitting it with a maul, but no luck. I can't take the bushing out because the bolts will be covered by the impeller when it's all set in place.

If I can't get this in, do you think someone would buy the remaining part of the blower? It runs fine, but I can't take up space in the garage anymore. Too much snow!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have you try polishing down the shaft and inner race of the bushing, sometimes dirt and oxidation expand the surfaces?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Anytime I mount anything with a friction or interference fit I try to achieve a temperature difference between the two items. So, heat one and cool the other whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Anytime I mount anything with a friction or interference fit I try to achieve a temperature difference between the two items. So, heat one and cool the other whenever possible.
+1; heat the bushing & cool the shaft.

If there were set screws...they often mar the shaft; you may need to sand/file-down the marring.

good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I will try to clean/grind the shaft and bushing, then heat it up. Fingers crossed (after I do the grinding).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts