Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a nice rust free Imperial 826. Looks like it can be a beast in snow.

I have been looking and I cannot find the model or serial numbers. I did clean off enough to find the numbers for the engine.

It looks like an Ariens, but more tank-like. Who made these for Jacobsen? Or did Jacobsen make them themselves.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have had several Jakes, and they are great machines....no good in slush with out the impeller kit though. Jacobsen made their own machines....have a parts machine ready if you depend on it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a nice rust free Imperial 826. Looks like it can be a beast in snow.

I have been looking and I cannot find the model or serial numbers. I did clean off enough to find the numbers for the engine.

It looks like an Ariens, but more tank-like. Who made these for Jacobsen? Or did Jacobsen make them themselves.
I have an Imperial 826, Jacobson . There is a plate on rear of of unit, below back of engine. If you could send me a picture of the drive area where the friction disc is I would appreciate. Took pictures of area before I replaced the disc, but pictures dropped off my phone. Not sure what goes where. Pictures from anyone with same unit would be appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an imperial 826, the serial number sticker is half gone but what is there says 52640T. I assume that is a model # and what is missing is the actual serial #. So I have no idea of the year for my Imperial but I would guess 1970s ? it has the Tecumseh HM80, not sure when Tecumseh switched to the HSK but I think I have seen the HSK on an 1986 machine - so Im guessing my imperial can't be any newer than mid 80s. My Ariens machines are stamped as well as the sticker but I haven't found any stamped numbers on my Jacobson.

Let me know if a picture of my machine would help you GVANDER

I agree with original poster - I know the 70s Ariens are considered the Cadillac of Snow blowers BUT my Jacobson seems equal in build quality. I like they key on the dashboard better than my ariens on the carb cover. My jacobson has the thrower engagement handle grip squeeze which I Like better than my Ariens thrower lever in front of machine by the bucket

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also GVANDER I'm not sure what the forum's policy is on YouTube links in forum post is - but if its ok here is a video with a lot of images of the drive train and friction disc on an imperial 26 if it helps you

ok looks like I can't post the actual link but if you search on you tube for:

FREE JACOBSEN IMPERIAL 26 DUAL STAGE TECUMSEH SNOWBLOWER WON'T DRIVE GEAR WORN BUSHING REPLACEMENT

by a person called mowers and blowers you should find the video

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an imperial 826, the serial number sticker is half gone but what is there says 52640T. I assume that is a model # and what is missing is the actual serial #. So I have no idea of the year for my Imperial but I would guess 1970s ? it has the Tecumseh HM80, not sure when Tecumseh switched to the HSK but I think I have seen the HSK on an 1986 machine - so Im guessing my imperial can't be any newer than mid 80s. My Ariens machines are stamped as well as the sticker but I haven't found any stamped numbers on my Jacobson.

Let me know if a picture of my machine would help you GVANDER

I agree with original poster - I know the 70s Ariens are considered the Cadillac of Snow blowers BUT my Jacobson seems equal in build quality. I like they key on the dashboard better than my ariens on the carb cover. My jacobson has the thrower engagement handle grip squeeze which I Like better than my Ariens thrower lever in front of machine by the bucket
If you could get a picture of friction disc and chain drive etc at the rear bottom that would be great. You would have to remove bottom plate, 2 bolts I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gvander I will try to get to that sunday - in the meantime did you check out that YouTube video ?
I originally acquired my Jacobson as an add on to a deal I was making for a garden tractor. My instinct was to flip it or just save it in case I ever needed the 8hp Tecumseh for my Ariens - which I assumed was the better blower BUT as I started looking closer at the imperial - I really think it is as nice as the ariens, maybe even built a little better, the belt cover is metal, and in terms of refinishing the metal is flatter and boxier which makes sanding easier. The only hesitation I have to keeping it and getting rid of 1 of my Ariens is the lack of parts and donor machines. In my area of western NY old 1970 and 80 Ariens are all over the place and cheap. You can not go to more than 3 yard sales without seeing an Ariens blower (and usually less than $125) On the other hand in 8 years of looking I have never seen another Jacobson imperial 8hp. I cant find my carb cover at the moment and I thought well maybe I can get one on ebay for $10 or $20 ----nope the only one I saw they wanted something crazy like $180.

·
Retired Moderator
10,031 Posts
I have a 626 that I bought cheap not running but not cheap enough. Hard to find parts for these but the build quality is very good. Yes they are heavy like an old Ariens. Mine had a bad jackshaft that I didn't find out until there was snow and the resistance to going forward caused the chain to jump and grind on the gears. The bushing inside the gear cluster that's supposed to spin on the shaft was mostly gone and it was just metal chewing on metal. The shaft is NLA so I needed to make one. Not really that hard, picked up some bar stock at Menards, cut to length and then drilled the holes to hold it position. Drilling a round piece of metal was the challenge. Luckily I have a small drill press and that was soooo helpful. Make sure to oil/grease up all the bushings. I was able to find a bushing for the cluster so it was good to go. As so much is no longer available it's critical to do preventative maintenance to make what you have last. My wheel axle bushings were pretty much gone too.
That carb cover shouldn't be anything special. What did you come up with for a part number for it for yours?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's the needle bearing (2) that was OEM inside that gear cluster. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M5E89Y
The old rusted outer shell of the bearing will be tough to drive out of the gear since it's so thin.
A bushing will substitute but not sure for how long.
Also note the right side of that inner shaft used an L shaped pin which went through the end of the shaft and also engaged a small hole through the side of the chassis thus preventing the inner shaft from spinning and wearing out the thru hole. I use an allen key as a substitute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts