Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to use my new Ariens Deluxe 24 this year. Bought it new at the end of last season and New England is in for another 12+ inches of snow over the next 24 hours.

Been noticing inconsistent starting the last few outings. My technique for pull starting has been relatively the same. Temperature has been consistent around mid 20s. Been using Seafoam and Shell V-Plus high octane fuel. Stored in the same spot. All in all, things have been quite consistent. Starting the thing has not been:

Day 1: Took about 7 pulls from a cold start.
Day 2: Took 1 pull from a cold start.
Day 3: Took 4 pulls from a cold start.
Day 4: ???

Probably not a big deal, but I though these machines are known to start in 2 pulls. Have not even tried the electric start yet, but will eventually. Once it does fire up it seems to run pretty well. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Most say seafoam is for keeping carb clean, stabil is for water and gas freshness. I use stabil marine myself. I have more issues with moisture then old gas clogging the carb. I shut off gas and run carb dry for sitting periods. Inconsistent starting sounds like water or clogged carb, but if it runs fine, might just be how it is.

-efisher-

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
7 pulls is a lot, was this the first use of the season? Full choke, 3 primer pumps?

Have you been running the carb "dry" after each use? And maybe turning the gas back on without enough time for the fuel bowl to fill fully?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most say seafoam is for keeping carb clean, stabil is for water and gas freshness. I use stabil marine myself. I have more issues with moisture then old gas clogging the carb. I shut off gas and run carb dry for sitting periods. Inconsistent starting sounds like water or clogged carb, but if it runs fine, might just be how it is.

-efisher-
Quite possibly water. As a precaution, I use a Mr. Funnel when filling fuel, that is supposed to filter out basically anything (water included) but the fuel. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7 pulls is a lot, was this the first use of the season? Full choke, 3 primer pumps?

Have you been running the carb "dry" after each use? And maybe turning the gas back on without enough time for the fuel bowl to fill fully?
I thought 7 pulls was a lot as well, and no it wasn't the first start this season -- yes full choke and 3 primer pumps each time. I have not been running the carb dry. Is this recommended? I have been told this could freeze the fuel lines and the areas without fuel (carb).

It was started about a month ago from summer storage, and I do recall that took a few pulls as well. But that was due to everything being dry from storage and fuel getting back to the lines. I'm hoping that maybe over time as the machine breaks in it will settle in more consistently. I would love to pull this thing in two starts or less -- don't we all. I'm not getting any younger.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I would call the dealer, and see if they would send someone out to check it out. It should not take more than 1-2 pulls. Or, maybe you have some bad gas, despite your additives. Or, maybe too much additives. Did you measure it accurately, and shake it up before adding ?

Or, maybe your choke is not working properly, or the primer hose has come disconnected. My 10 year old Ariens takes 2 pulls at most - usually one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would call the dealer, and see if they would send someone out to check it out. It should not take more than 1-2 pulls. Or, maybe you have some bad gas, despite your additives. Or, maybe too much additives. Did you measure it accurately, and shake it up before adding ?

Or, maybe your choke is not working properly, or the primer hose has come disconnected. My 10 year old Ariens takes 2 pulls at most - usually one.
Good advice. I will call them tomorrow. Should still be under warranty.

Yes measured the additives based on manufacturers spec. Gas is no more than 4 days old. Didn't bother to shake up the Seafoam.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is it required to have it on "Full" choke when starting? I ask because my new Ariens 24 Platinum seems to start on 1 pull when I use mid choke...I don't think I've started it on full choke yet because after a few pulls I moved to less choke and it kicked right over. I took that as it's been in a warm basement and didn't need the full choke???

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My suggestions:

1. Stop with the seafoam. If you are going to use an additive, use STABIL-360 which will treat ethanol and also stabilize the fuel. Seafoam is.. for old things. Your machine does not need it and will not bennefit from it at this point. Add to that that Seafoam is not a true fuel stabilizer, although it is known to help. I like the stuff very much, but it won't be helpful on modern engines running it all the time.
2. Stop running premium octane gasoline. Your machine will purr very nicely with 87 octane. That top notch shell V-Power stuff is for advanced fuel injection systems on vehicles, not small engines, or even small engines with fuel injection.
3. Confirm this starting method-
A: Set choke to full
B: Set throttle to full
C: Prime 2-3 times
D: Pull Recoil rope handle
E: Should start right up- gradually reduce choke over the space of 5-10 seconds until fully off
F: Grin ear to ear and think you are the top dog and post on here how excited you are because your snowblower started with just one simple pull..

Run the machine a few times with just fresh fuel without any of the additives.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Is it required to have it on "Full" choke when starting? I ask because my new Ariens 24 Platinum seems to start on 1 pull when I use mid choke...I don't think I've started it on full choke yet because after a few pulls I moved to less choke and it kicked right over. I took that as it's been in a warm basement and didn't need the full choke???
Depends on the environment and outside temps. But regardless, you should see it sputter and fire up be it full or half.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I will be curious once you've moved from the warm basement into the frigid cold. My estimation is that you will then need to use the FULL choke.

BTW, aren't you located in MA? What's that beast doing in a warm basement?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My suggestions:

1. Stop with the seafoam. If you are going to use an additive, use STABIL-360 which will treat ethanol and also stabilize the fuel. Seafoam is.. for old things. Your machine does not need it and will not bennefit from it at this point. Add to that that Seafoam is not a true fuel stabilizer, although it is known to help. I like the stuff very much, but it won't be helpful on modern engines running it all the time.
2. Stop running premium octane gasoline. Your machine will purr very nicely with 87 octane. That top notch shell V-Power stuff is for advanced fuel injection systems on vehicles, not small engines, or even small engines with fuel injection.
3. Confirm this starting method-
A: Set choke to full
B: Set throttle to full
C: Prime 2-3 times
D: Pull Recoil rope handle
E: Should start right up- gradually reduce choke over the space of 5-10 seconds until fully off
F: Grin ear to ear and think you are the top dog and post on here how excited you are because your snowblower started with just one simple pull..

Run the machine a few times with just fresh fuel without any of the additives.
Thanks for this info. After this tank is empty (runs great after it starts) I will definitely take your suggestion and just use fresh 87 octane fuel. I suspect that you have had the same experience as I, judging by your confidence inspiring post : ) Stay tuned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will be curious once you've moved from the warm basement into the frigid cold. My estimation is that you will then need to use the FULL choke.

BTW, aren't you located in MA? What's that beast doing in a warm basement?
It's where I store it and it's part of house so heated. No room in my garage due to wife's car and my summer car haha...

All I know is it kicks right over mid choke but does not on full choke, so I'm hoping it's a temp thing and not some other issue. I just wanted to bring it up to you in case you found a difference too.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Take a peek and see if the primer line is good. There were a few post a while back on Ariens (LCT/AX) rotting the primer line in very short time from new. You should be able to look up under the cover and locate it (can put in service position or just tilt up and support a bit with a jack stand/box to make it easier on the knees). Pop it off and plug the end with your thumb and press on the bulb. You should feel resistance at the bulb. If you hear a hiss you know there's a leak somewhere or it was never attached maybe. Personal preference, but if you have a Torch plug I'd replace it with an NGK. I've seen a couple friends/neighbors have new Ariens delivered with a Champion or NGK also, so may not have a Torch. The only really good use for the Torch brand plugs is securely placed in the dumpster:p
Again, just an opinion. My LCT is on it's 3rd season and will literally start half way through the first pull.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take a peek and see if the primer line is good. There were a few post a while back on Ariens (LCT/AX) rotting the primer line in very short time from new. You should be able to look up under the cover and locate it (can put in service position or just tilt up and support a bit with a jack stand/box to make it easier on the knees). Pop it off and plug the end with your thumb and press on the bulb. You should feel resistance at the bulb. If you hear a hiss you know there's a leak somewhere or it was never attached maybe. Personal preference, but if you have a Torch plug I'd replace it with an NGK. I've seen a couple friends/neighbors have new Ariens delivered with a Champion or NGK also, so may not have a Torch. The only really good use for the Torch brand plugs is securely placed in the dumpster:p
Again, just an opinion. My LCT is on it's 3rd season and will literally start half way through the first pull.
Great info...thanks for that. I will look at the plug and the primer line as well.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Just FYI if you've never removed a plug on these engines use a thin walled socket. If you don't have one, borrow one or buy one specifically for future use. There's not a lot of room around the plug and it's way down in there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not to take over this thread but in my case anyway, I went down to take another look before using the blower tonight. This time I primed it 4-5 times but also put throttle on full before I started it. It kicked within 1/2 a pull. It was in Full Choke and I couldn't get it started before in Full Choke. This was also in my warm basement before I brought it outside so I no longer think temp has anything to do with it.

So not sure if I wasn't priming enough or if starting in low throttle causes issues.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Low throttle starts generally are not going to be successful for these engines. They need full throttle to get em turning over and moving fuel and air, then you can back down on the throttle once you've reduced the choke after starting it. I don't like roaring engines on start up myself, but that's just the way these small engines work, my friend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have an ariens 28 deluxe with the briggs 250cc engine. i use 87 octane gas with maybe 2 ounces of seafoam to 5 gallons for my stored gas. never let it get older than 2 months old. this machine after turning on full choke and priming it 4 times starts first pull every time without fail. always stored in a cold shed. i never run it dry after use and dont have any issues. fixing to go out in a bit to blow away the latest dumping here in mass!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for this. Checked the primer line earlier and all looks good. What is a torch plug?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts