Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman 536886121

During our last snowfall the cable that connects to the clutch cable snapped rendering the auger useless.

99% certain this is the part that I need

How do I install this? Would this be the only part that I need to order, or are their other parts that I would need. At nearly 10 bucks standard shipping from Sears, I would like to get everything I need in one shot.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Have you considered a generic steel cable and a couple cable clamps?

I am not sure how the ends of that connect, but you might save some money by just getting steel braid cable.

You could also try small engine repair shops or a local sears and see if they stock them instead of waiting for shipping.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It normally connects to a tension spring that is connected to the idler pulley bracket. You'll have to remove the plate under the snowblower and the plastic belt cover in front of the unit. A couple things you'll want to check are the conditions of the drive cable and tension spring, as well as the drive belts, last thing you want is the other cable or the belts to blow out just after you were in there. If they're rusted or the belts are worn you might want to consider replacing those while you have things apart. I spent about $150 several years back for parts for an old MTD because all the things I mentioned were worn (plus the friction disc). I figured since I had to open it up I might as well check and replace what was needed to keep it running for a long time. I'm glad I did!!! But if you just need to get by for now, and if everything looks in good condition I'd try what Shryp mentioned. Also, try a local service dealer they might be able to order you the equivalent part without shipping, might save some money there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The arnold motor supply store surprisingly had the replacement part. After about an hour or so I got it figured out.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Great to hear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts