Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to check on my blower yesterday, and they informed me that the internal governor is busted, and for him to continue it would get rather pricey. So I was wondering what does it take to get the crankcase off of this beast? I have a B&S 190403 2994-01 on a Simplicity 860.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In a nutshell, you have to pull the sump cover... the governor shaft should be pressed into the sump cover itself. It's not a difficult job if you're good with a wrench, however it can be somewhat time consuming.

You'll have to remove the pulley & shrouding. Clean the shaft really well & be sure to remove any marring (i.e. from set-screws) because you don't want to damage the crank seal. I'd remove the engine entirely just because it's easier however not completely necessary.

Before going in, purchase a new sump gasket & governor assembly (391737 before date code 91061000; 494845 after date code 91060900).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In a nutshell, you have to pull the sump cover... the governor shaft should be pressed into the sump cover itself. It's not a difficult job if you're good with a wrench, however it can be somewhat time consuming.

You'll have to remove the pulley & shrouding. Clean the shaft really well & be sure to remove any marring (i.e. from set-screws) because you don't want to damage the crank seal. I'd remove the engine entirely just because it's easier however not completely necessary.

Before going in, purchase a new sump gasket & governor assembly (391737 before date code 91061000; 494845 after date code 91060900).
Seems pretty straight forward. Looking up the part # it looks like a plastic gear that's probably worn out

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I've seen them break in half. The plastic becomes brittle over time, and always lets go when it's the most inconvenient.

You might consider replacing the sump gasket, and crankshaft seal. At least while you have it this far apart.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got it apart, and the gear it self seems to be intact, but I did notice a small wire ring laying in the depression of the gear. I wonder if that is what was causing me trouble. You g to check for more debris tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I meant to ask earlier...what problem(s) were you having & how did your mechanic conclude that the internal governor was busted?

Was the gear stuck on the shaft? When it does this, and you go to sync the governor arm with the throttle, you're setting up the governor to run WOT without a load = Kaboom!

I had this issue on my '72 H35 Tecumseh:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the one. The engine would run wide open and shoot fire from the exhaust. So the mechanic adjusted and cleaned the valves and still the same thing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got the new gov gear. It's a little different, metal hat. I noticed that the little ring that came loose didn't come with the parts. Is that because of the metal parts used?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts