Snowblower Forum banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, I had to walk a 3/4 of a mile to school in a blizzard. 3 foot of snow. :)
Small town, it had no busses.
I don't remember if we even, ever had a snow day off.
I guess that makes sense. I don't recall any busses driving through 3 foot of snow.

Of course you had snow days off. It was Saturdays, Sundays, Xmas Eve through New Year's Day. :)

I know what you mean. Back in the day...we layer up in "abundance", put on our boots, hats, scrarfs, and mittens. We didn't have smartphones to distract us from exercising "caution". We knew that wearing skinny jeans in the winter is not a very smart.

Wind + wet = very very cold.
Tight fitting clothes + wind + wet = very very, stupidly cold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Snowing as I type this. So far at least 16 inches. Cleared the first 12 inches around 11 pm NJ time. At least another 4 inches so far. Though now it seems to be sleet. The 18 y/o Toro 824 ran like a champ.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Got up an hour ago to let the dogs out. The Yellow Lab took a flying leap out the door and was up to his jowls in snow. The Bernese Mountain went out and did her business and came right back in. She loves snow so it must be brutal out there. We are north of the projected 16"-24" for that Catskills and already have that on the ground.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just got in from running the blower for a couple of hours. The honest to goodness yardstick says 28".

·
Super Moderator
1,607 Posts
found we really had 18 down and still falling, my 928 toro powermax never slowed down even at the eod pile,
the dogs well after they had a dodo path blown out did better, pyrenes are not small dogs they are big like deezlfans these two never before had deep snow to thier private parts and sure didn't like it .mountain/herd dogs not liking snow is funny.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
deezlfan, it appears from your signature you have quite an arsenal of machines to choose from. Which machine or machines did you choose to tackle the white stuff this morning?
Looks like a white Christmas for many in the North East.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Today was the Toro 3521 with a 4hp Tecumseh swap and extended chute. Then went down to the shed and got out the 10/32 Craftsman II on tires and chains. Wanted to try the new chute I had fabbed for the Ariens but it was buried in the front of the shed and the snow was too deep to wrestle things around in the dark.

Got my upper drive done and took a few swipes on the lower. Town plow showed up and pushed a huge pile of snow in front of one of my cars on the lawn. Then he backed into the ditch and got stuck. Town sent a second plow to rescue him and that plow driver pushed through the snow in front of my car and pushed my car 6 ft to the right. Can't see what damage is done yet as the car is now sitting sideways from it's original position on top of the snow bank.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
First off, I pull all my blowers this time of year to the front of my shop garage, so they all get their turn .. :) I'll be using probably each one today, as I'll be doing 3 double drives today.

Second, I would make sure you have the town eat the bill for any damage, as well as any repairs thrown in that might have been scheduled (wink). :)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Well, guess its time to put on my gear, and get out there .... right after I have a quick breakfast.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have some more modern snowblowers at my disposal for today's snowstorm but elected to run an old Ariens 10M6 Sno-Thro. I've been using the 10000 series Ariens for about 50 years. The snow here on the south shore of Massachusetts is the heavy wet variety but spraying the Sno-Thro discharge chute with silicone lubricant keeps it cleared.

An endearing feature of an old 10000 series Sno-Thro is the absence of any operator-presence controls ("dead-man lever"). When the wind direction blows the discharged snow directly back in my face, I can simply turn around and walk backwards! The Sno-Throw doesn't care if I'm present or not. It just keeps advancing! There are no small children, animals or anyone else out in the driveway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The snow here on the south shore of Massachusetts is the heavy wet variety but spraying the Sno-Thro discharge chute with silicone lubricant keeps it cleared.
Where are you, Brad? I’m in Hanover. We only have ~8”, but it is as you said, heavy and wet. It wasn’t a pleasant snow blowing experience for me today.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Beautiful pup, full of the dickens?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Beautiful pup, full of the dickens?
Oh, yes, Riley is the Waterdog of the North, trained by a black lab...
She's not so fond of the snow, though, or her galoshes:
She just finished recovering from Lyme disease. Ouch.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Galoshes video was a hoot!
Wouldn't even attempt to put any boots on our miss Maggie, but she loved her halloween costume --not

121 - 140 of 156 Posts