Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Aries Deluxe 32. It is time to change the oil and lube the zerks. To do the maintenance I have to turn the blower over so it is wheels up. Last summer there was only a small amount of fuel left in the tank so I just ran it dry. This year the tank is full and the last snow storm didn’t arrive. Instead of draining it (not sure what is the best way) will it harm the engine if I just start It up and let it run at idle until it runs out of gas? It’s around 90 degrees here.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You are going to get a variety of opinions.

Mine is to drain the gas tank and drain the carb in to a clear soda bottle to check for color and water then use it in the car.

Reactions: Miles

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
if your tank is metal and you leave in sun then water condensation will cause rust nipples all over. I have never had a problem with my blowers covered or in garage. most small engine techs I have spoken to say the rule of thumb is to keep metal tank 100% full in off season.

@JLawrence08648 is right . You will get at least a dozen different opinions.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
All my machinery is stored inside, and I never drain any tanks or carburetors. I do add 2oz of Stabil and 2oz of SeaFoam to all my 5 gallon gas cans. I also periodically start and run all my equipment throughout the year.

If I need to put a machine in an upright position of for service, I will siphon out the gas and drain the oil, which is usually when I change the oil anyways.

You can pick up a bulb siphon and battery pump cheap...... Good to have both items on hand .... I always use me battery pump to fill my equipment from my 5 gallon cans.

Note also, any machine I own with a metal tank is full all the time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have seen a metal tank rusted on the inside of a big Honda generator in the dealer's service area. The gas in my metal Honda tank is getting to be two years old so I'm going to drain it with a bulb siphon and refill with non-ethanol stabilized gas.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
I have seen a metal tank rusted on the inside of a big Honda generator in the dealer's service area. The gas in my metal Honda tank is getting to be two years old so I'm going to drain it with a bulb siphon and refill with non-ethanol stabilized gas.
2 year old gas? better drain and clean that carb . Honda's are incredible. I have seen brown reddish fuel in tanks still run okay. It's amazing. Usually they need some some choke to run. I just shake my head at the owners who run this gas.

I should have taken pics of some carbs that still run. Full of reddish/brown mud and jelly . they would be in Ripley's Believe It or Not.

·
Super Moderator
1,474 Posts
...will it harm the engine if I just start It up and let it run at idle until it runs out of gas? It’s around 90 degrees here.
Thanks for any advice.
I'd run it at at least a fast idle to mid throttle though, to get the benefit of cooling air. As it goes lean running dry you'll want to dissipate that excess heat.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The last two winters, we didn't have a lot of snow here so I kept topping up the tank with non-ethanol fuel at the end of the season. I bought the Honda the year after a 33 inch snow, but it has never snowed heavily since then. In the tank it's a mix of 6 month old fuel, 1 year old fuel and 2 year old fuel. It runs fine so far, but you are right, it needs to be changed out.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Let me correct myself. Plastic tanks I drain the gas, metal tanks I keep them full to prevent rusting, however you can drain the tank and spray the inside with fogging oil. If you decide to keep gas in the tank, you may want to shut off the fuel valve, then drain the carburetor from the fuel bowl.

Reactions: farmer52 and Miles

·
Registered
677 Posts
On my craftsman which has the same carb and engines as the troybilts which are notorious for carb problems after sitting off season...they also have no fuel shut off...I keep fuel alcohol free fuel in the tank and with a touch of seafoam added..I start it once in a while..so far so good...no corrosion...no gel.
Alcohol is the enemy...if you are going to run it dry and it has alcohol in it now...at least get the alcohol out..run some fuel through it that doesn't contain alcohol before going into storage.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I drain the tank and the carb and use a baster to remove the fuel in the well below the tank fuel outlet. There is no corrosion in the metal tank or carb. Fuel is non-ethanol premium 91 without any added conditioners.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Forgive my naivete but when you say wheels up, do you mean up on the bucket? Or upside down...like if it were a dead snowblower in a snowblower cartoon?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Wheels up means standing the snowblower up on end, on the bucket. Some store it that way through the entire off season.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I thought so...just wanted to make sure. I've had pretty good luck with just shutting off the fuel and putting a sandwich bag over the fuel hole and then screwing on the cap. If there's no shut-off, I just pinch off the line. I've never had a fuel leakage while standing her up with this method.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts