Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 832 Toro with an 8hp Briggs and as usual I can't leave well enough alone. I would like to put a charging system on it so I can run a headlight as well as possibly heated grips. Does anyone know what I need to do or can it even be done?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
THOSE ENGINES ARE NOT SET UP FOR THAT. IT WOULD NEED A STATOR AND MORE THAN LIKELY YOU WOULD HAVE TO SWITCH IT OVER TO THE MAGTRON IGNITION SYSTEM.:cool:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
This is the Magnetron ignition system:

The Magnetron Ignition System

Essentially, an electronic ignition system. And the only reason that I can think that you would need it over the points system, is to provide room for an energizing coil under the flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Powershift93, dropping the all caps would be nice.

A Magnetron ignition would move the unit that produces the spark to the outside of the flywheel leaving room for a different unit under the flywheel to produce electricity for a light or hand warmers or in a perfect world both and a heated beverage dispenser :cool:
But to mount the magnetron there needs to be mounts on the engine and the flywheel has to have a magnet on the outside to "excite" it so it produces the spark. Same with the unit under the flywheel.
I don't know about your specific engine I asked you to post the numbers as that would be the next question someone who knows would ask so they can look up what is available for that specific engine. With some you can mount a different flywheel or on some you only need to add the extra coils for producing the current to run a light. On others there isn't anything you can do. My Troy is that way, no option to add anything to the "SUB-365" engine for lighting.

This helps explain it.

Same as above but maybe now it makes more sense . . . maybe :confused:

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
THE MAGNATRON SYSTEM GETS RID OF THE POINTS. CONDENSER THAT IS OLD AND OUTDATED. IT IS LIKE AN HEI IN A CAR. WAY MORE RELIABLE. THE STATOR UNDERNEATH IS USED TO RUN A LIGHT. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts