Snowblower Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I understand the need for advertising..this forum probably cant exist without ads..thats fine..
but when I look at a page in this forum, I count 24 individual ads and links to other sites scattered about every page..NOT including links in the text of messages!

So is it really necessary to also turn words in the actual messages into advertisements as well? that just seems ridiculous..and I find it annoying that my own words are being used as advertising against my will..that is just too much, its "over the line"..its taking things too far..

I think there is enough advertising on the page, without turning words in messages into links as well..I find it distracting and annoying..

I understand its being done automatically by the software..but can it be turned off? (if enough members also dont like it)
if im the only one, then I guess I will just have to adapt! ;)
but its been bugging me since I joined this forum..for me, it takes away from the enjoyment of the forum..because im bothered that my own words get turned into links to advertising..and it junks up the dicsussion with distracting links that open up into pop-ups if you accidently pass over them with the cursor..then you have to go and close them, etc..do we *really* need to take things quite this far?

thanks,
Scot

·
Retired Moderator
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my message above wasnt too bad..it only had one "keyword" turned into an ad...the word "software"..but here is my post that triggered this question:

No worries!
you bought one of the best snowblowers there is..

First, the three best brands, in quality, are Ariens, Toro and Honda.

Second, only a few briggs engines are still made in the USA..and they are still believed to be high quality engines..Some smaller briggs engines are now made in China, and people have been concerned that the quality might be beginning to slide..(Briggs has been making some smaller engines in China since 2002) right now, about half the Briggs engines on snowblowers (all brands) are the Chinese-built briggs engines..but not yours.

Because! It is known that the Ariens Professional models still have the larger, made in the USA Briggs engines..(for now)

So the machine you bought is about the best that *can* be bought..
100% made in the USA, very well regarded in terms of quality and reliability..

many snowblower models and brands are creeping downhill in quality..worse and worse every year..but you bought one that is still top of the line..The Cadillac of snowblowers..

Scot
FIVE ads in that one message? and for car companies?
we arent even talking about cars..

Scot

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I agree completely! I suppose normal sidebar or header type advertising is seen by forum owners as a rightful way to gain compensation for the forum they provide.

However, I believe it is very bad form for them to turn participants words into advertising. I think if a posters words are within forum rules they should be left alone.

I am on a number of forums all around the net and this forum and the forums associated with this one are the only ones that do it.

I know it is switched off when you log in. That just means posts are made annoying for visitors and extra annoying if a member just stops by to read without logging in.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I, too, find that very annoying. To the point that I will NOT buy whatever brand it is that pops up.
I do that with my Comcast homepage and I tell them so all the time. I have to wait for their ad to load while accessing my mail page and it makes me mad. I tell them whatever ad pops up goes on my never buy list.

Advertising has become abusive and perhaps it is time for an organized “fight back”.

·
Retired Moderator
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it is switched off when you log in. That just means posts are made annoying for visitors and extra annoying if a member just stops by to read without logging in.
switched off when you log in?
no it isnt..
im logged in, and I see all the links in the text..
it isnt switched off when you log in..

Scot

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
switched off when you log in?
no it isnt..
im logged in, and I see all the links in the text..
it isnt switched off when you log in..

Scot
Woops, guess you are correct. Must be the Tractor forum that switches it off when you log in.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Ill look into it for you guys. And ya... I agree... I find all the popups annoying wile scrolling through a post also.

Ill bring this up to the powers that be. Thanks for the input!!!

·
Retired Moderator
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My turn to question you. :) I still see them, even on new posts.
really? thats very strange..I am no longer seeing them at all..not in this thread, not in any thread..they are completely gone..
most bizzare..

anyone else still seeing them? or not seeing them?

Scot

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Your first post in this thread has the word “software” ready to pop and your second post has the words “car” and “cars” also set to annoy anyone who gets to close. My first post in this thread has the work “posters” highlighted for disappointment.

We have to come up with a fitting word to describe these ridicules “ad bombs.“

This post has the word cars ready to blow.

Now it doesn't...seems they are coming and going. Kind of like STDs...:D

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Anybody still experiencing these "highlighted" things?

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
O.K., good, anybody else?

·
Let it snow
688 Posts
The intellitext ads are supposed to be a default on for guest traffic. When we make software upgrades to the site occasionally there are switches that get toggled and we don't see them until they are reported. Because this happened over the holidays we where on a skeleton crew and it was not caught right away. I put a ticket in to change the default so if you are logged in you will have to opt into the itellitext ads not opt out.

If you see them again and are logged in please send me a PM or report it to a mod or admin they have my direct contact info for emergencies.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I have been gone a couple of days but am back now and I still see the highlighted words. How do I turn them off?

OK, I think I found it and turned it off.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'm semi-computer illiterate. I see those dang highlighted words all the time too and they are annoying. Also, every time I look at a pic someone has posted a daggone ad pops up underneath the pic. What do I have to do to get rid of these dadgum ads??
Joe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.