Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
In all the years we have discussed this idea, I have only seen one real logical use for wheels..a guy needed to wheel his snowblower from the shed, across a good amount of grass lawn, whenever he used it. In that case, he installed wheels to get the machine over the grass.

For any other "regular" use, wheels are a bad idea..skids are so much better..
which is why snowblowers have had skids for over 60 years, and not wheels.

Scot
I respectfully disagree.

I never tried an old set of steel shoes on my Ariens, just the new steel shoes that come on the machines. Maybe the steel is different today? I just don't know. But they wear down FAST!

In my use of snow blowers, I clear a lot of cement sidewalks plus a large driveway. The shoes on my machines would not even last a season. By February I would have flipped the shoes around, then throw them out come April.

Now that I added my version of wheels on the machines, they stay level, the scraper bar don't need adjustments and more importantly the original set I made are still in fine working order.

For my application it's an awesome add on.

Plus with the new auto turn I run straight lines down the driveway without fish tailing all over the driveway. That snake action will tire you out in short order.

·
Registered
801 Posts
here are a few pics of my roller skids I made from an old skid shoe and some 1" thick uhmw (someone already posted a video of it above). There are no bearings just a 1/2" stainless steel bolt welded to the skid and a 9/16 hole in the uhmw with a little light grease on the bolt. They have never frozen and have worked fine for over six years with little to no visible wear. They glide easily over my driveway and make this 300+ lb large frame old school cub cadet easy to move in a straight line and since it has a differential and turns like a dream.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb395/carlb2323/CubCadetRollerskid4.jpg

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb395/carlb2323/CubCadetRollerskid1.jpg

I made some long 12" regular style skid shoes from the same material and the rollers work better for me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
here are a few pics of my roller skids I made from an old skid shoe and some 1" thick uhmw (someone already posted a video of it above). There are no bearings just a 1/2" stainless steel bolt welded to the skid and a 9/16 hole in the uhmw with a little light grease on the bolt. They have never frozen and have worked fine for over six years with little to no visible wear. They glide easily over my driveway and make this 300+ lb large frame old school cub cadet easy to move in a straight line and since it has a differential and turns like a dream.

I made some long 12" regular style skid shoes from the same material and the rollers work better for me.
People don't understand how nice the wheels up front work on paved surfaces. My late uncle made a set of bearings for a 1960 snowbird and when I sold that machine maybe 10 years ago the sealed bearing where still working.

I believe your pictures inspired me to fix the autoturn on my Ariens 3 years ago. But I went with bigger bearings and one on each side similar to yours. A blend of my Uncle and your idea.

Does the nylon wear down on your wheels? I was afraid of wobbly wheels and went with sealed bearings. I know the bearings hold up (but the machines stay in my garage not outside all year long).

·
Registered
801 Posts
.Does the nylon wear down on your wheels? I was afraid of wobbly wheels and went with sealed bearings. I know the bearings hold up (but the machines stay in my garage not outside all year long).[/QUOTE said:
They are now six years old and there is no visible signs of wear. I haven't had to adjust the scraper bar since i put the wheels on. With the differential and the roller skids this beast is very easy to use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have installed inline skate/scooter wheels on all of my previously owned blowers. Skid shoes were leaving impressions on my asphalt driveway. I went with the simple approach as opposed to modifications of skid shoes (mostly because I do not have welding tools, experience, or ingenuity).

I used inline skate wheels or scooter wheels depending on the snowblower's skid shoe dimensions. These wheels would be bolted on using a longer carriage bolt to support plastic spacers, bearings and wheel. I bought the inexpensive bearings ($.75) from a go kart supply site. As I did not need the expensive high tech laboratory equipment bearings which could cost over $40 a pop. You can buy used inline skate or scooter wheels on ebay very cheaply.

Although it is not as an aesthetic a solution as welding. It was a cheap and easy fix for the lesser skilled. How long do they last? Oldest one is 16 years on same wheel & bearing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Would somebody mind posting one of CarlB's photos here so I can see his design-they absolutely refuse to load for me.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I used inline skate wheels or scooter wheels depending on the snowblower's skid shoe dimensions. These wheels would be bolted on using a longer carriage bolt to support plastic spacers, bearings and wheel. I bought the inexpensive bearings ($.75) from a go kart supply site.
If you went with the inline skates wheels or scooter wheels, why buy bearings? The wheels have bearings. I'm confused. Or did you use the bearings as the wheels.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Did you cut these in a circle and drill them or did you buy them as round? If you cut them it would seem to get a perfect circle you would have to have made a jig and then use a bench grinder or a router in a table.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The standard bearing dimensions for inline skates & scooters are 8mm id (inside diameter) & 22mm od (outside diameter). The bearings are removable from the wheel and can be replaced on skates & scooters wheels when the bearings are worn or switched into new wheels when the wheels are worn.

Not all snow blowers share the same size carriage bolts for the skid shoes. So the skid shoe's carriage bolt size will dictate the id size (inner hole) of the bearing needed.

In short, Ariens has a 3/8" carriage bolt would require a 9mm id bearing. While my Sears & Husqvarna blowers have 5/16" carriage bolts and can use the standard 8mm id bearing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Here you go:

Thanks VT007,appreciate it.

Look good,Carl.I'm actually tempted to make and try them-just out of curiosity.

I'd really like to have an even bigger set of wheels that I could attach quickly,just for transport, to my Allis 828.Sometimes I take that old pig down to the gate area to keep the road widened out-it's a single lane.It's quite a walk down there.A set of wheels that I could just clamp on at a moment's notice would make the trip much nicer.I wouldn't have to hold the front up nor let it bang along on the road,which gets heavily rutted and rough over the course of the winter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sample of 85mm scooter wheels on 2005 Ariens ST1332LE blower. 9mm id 22mm od bearings used due to 3/8" carriage bolt of Ariens skid shoe. I did add a plastic spacer to reduce rubbing/rust. Don't leave blower facing wrong direction on slope surface if you use this solution. Or have a door stop handy as a hill brake.

I have also installed wheels on a Sears 9HP 28" blower as well. The smaller carriage bolt size 5/16" and lower auger housing allowed me to use standard inline skate bearings (8mm id) and wheels (68mm). You can buy used bearings and wheels on eBay. Unlike the avid skater, the snow blower does not require high performance bearings & wheels. So end of life quality bearings & wheels to a skater is more than adequate for your snow blower.

How well do these used parts hold up? The scooter wheels on the Ariens blower (below) were installed in 2005.

Attachments

Reactions: cranman

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's it, roller blade wheels. Easiest thing to do, and I have them. Sure my kid won't miss them! Put them on the blower in the winter, and take them off in the spring!! Like to try them out on biggest, bulkiest, heavy, and less maneuverable blower, a real John Deere 1032.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dynamark used steel disk wheels instead of skids, as seen in the Sears "3 stage" machine in the pic. Apparently this didn't amount to a competitive advantage as they didn't keep it up, nor did other vendors copy the design.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Did you cut these in a circle and drill them or did you buy them as round? If you cut them it would seem to get a perfect circle you would have to have made a jig and then use a bench grinder or a router in a table.
just used a plain old whole saw and drill press I don't remember but i think either 2 or 2 1/2 inch. This stuff drills and cuts easy

·
Registered
270 Posts
it's time I weighed in on this topic...

In all the years we have discussed this idea, I have only seen one real logical use for wheels..a guy needed to wheel his snowblower from the shed, across a good amount of grass lawn, whenever he used it. In that case, he installed wheels to get the machine over the grass.

For any other "regular" use, wheels are a bad idea..skids are so much better..
which is why snowblowers have had skids for over 60 years, and not wheels.

Scot
I know that guy Scot is talking about. "He" had a brand new Husqvarna ST327P. "He" put adjustable wheels from a Toro lawnmower on it. Bolted right on, same holes as the snowblower skids. At first they seemed to be the hot setup! "He" could raise the scraper bar an inch or more off the grass, move easily to his driveway and lower it to an 1/8" and clear the driveway. Then "he" noticed the snowblower didn't steer well, "he'd" pull the triggers to go left or right and still had to use considerable effort to turn. The wheels froze up and also made it difficult to go thru deep snow as they stuck out too far. Part of the problem seems to be the Husqvarna was very front end heavy. In conclusion "he" doubts "he" would do it again.
Then "he" had a reversal of fortunes, "he" didn't get the property managers job "he'd" need the big snowblower for. "He" wound up selling the snowblower. It was way to big and heavy for what little driveway "he" had. "He" bought a 10 year old rusty Cub Cadet that had been worked hard and put away wet as they say in the horse world. After numerous applications of grease and oil it works fine. Besides, "he" likes to work on them as much as use them.
"He" got into some less than satisfactory discourse with some forum members and then lost his password and didn't have the same email address to recover it.
"He took some time off and then decided "he'd" come back and just not try to be so social.
So the bottom line is the wheels thing isn't going to work for 9 out of 10 people. Just "his" 2 cents.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Wheels up front are nothing new. All the Snowbirds had eighth inch discs as can be seen on my 1963 S263. Modern manufacturing dictates stamping out a skid instead of working with steel plate which will last a lifetime.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Does wheel size matter for turning and ease of manueverablity? Would a thin wheel such as a wheel off roller blades work better than a wider wheel made from that white plastic? Is the white plastic the same material as cutting boards? Polyethylene?

Would a taller wheel such as a child's bicycle training wheel work better? It is talking but not that wide. It seems a lawnmower wheel is wide and my guess would make it harder to turn.

The few examples shown, a bearing and a white plastic wheel and the mention of a roller blade wheel are all small and seem to work well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does wheel size matter for turning and ease of manueverablity? Would a thin wheel such as a wheel off roller blades work better than a wider wheel made from that white plastic? Is the white plastic the same material as cutting boards? Polyethylene?

Would a taller wheel such as a child's bicycle training wheel work better? It is talking but not that wide. It seems a lawnmower wheel is wide and my guess would make it harder to turn.

The few examples shown, a bearing and a white plastic wheel and the mention of a roller blade wheel are all small and seem to work well.
In my experience with wheels, I want something that can slide made of a hard material (I use sealed bearings as wheels) as when you turn, you want the wheels to slide. IMHO a rubber wheel wouldn't slide well as you change direction.

In addition to changing direction, I do press down on the machine handles slightly so the bucket floats to omit the dragging of my wheels. But, it will slide on the pavement if you were unable to float the front.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts