Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a Murray 5-22 2 stage [Ultra}...offered as Fixer up...Question is, Heard Murray is out of business...and know that
Tecumseh has been also...Would this be a risky Fix up for avail parts..?
Seems engine will need reassembly...but have seen many eng parts on Ebay...Dunno about machine parts thou..! Any help..?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
They are no better or worse than your typical MTD. I have one right now and it's a pretty decent machine. The plastic ones however have major issues. Almost every one I get has a cracked housing/frame (which is plastic) and they throw belts due to it. Whatever they used for the plastic just doesn't hold up. Always look those over before you pull the trigger....

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Tecumseh engine parts are relatively easy to source as mentioned above. They are still being supported by Techumseh Power. The company did not go out of business they just stopped making small engines.

The Murray non-engine parts may be a bit tougher. If your machine was built before B&S bought the Brand in 2005 you may have trouble finding info such as exploded diagrams and parts lists on line.

In that case email or call B&S customer service directly and they will help you. Last year I contacted them through their online customer service form about a Murray Signature series machine. They emailed me a complete PDF manual. It took about a week to respond but I give them credit for following up.

Here is a link from last year on this topic.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/44793-signature-snow-thrower.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts