Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ariens 24" compact . Model 920021. Over the summer , mice made a nest. I removed all debris.
When I tried to start it, the machine would not start. I noticed the gas looked "oily". I drain the gas and added new. The machine started but it is loping a lot.

I removed the carb and cleaned it. ( I think). This effort made no difference.

Can this carb be adjusted? Do you think the carb still may be dirty internally?

Any help would be grateful!

Pilotboat

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to the forum pilotboat

If it's the original carb then it shouldn't be adjustable.

It's very likely the carb is still dirty or has a restricted passage.

Does it have a fuel shutoff ?? Did you leave it with fuel in the tank and carb over the summer ??

Did you use a fuel stabilizer like Marine Stabil ??

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My aliens does have a fuel shut off. I did put stabil in the tank but maybe to much.

Could the fuel shut off be restricted? Fuel flows but I don't know if it is enough

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
That sounds kind of weird, the gas looking oily. But it's fresh gas now, at least, so that's good.

Does it run better/smoother if you give it partial choke after it's warmed up?

I would personally be more likely to suspect that the carb is still dirty, vs the fuel shutoff restricting fuel flow too much. Were any gaskets damaged during the cleaning, and not replaced? Including between the carb and the engine?

You can pull the line off the carb and open the fuel shutoff, to see how it's flowing, if you want to check that.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Asked about the fuel shutoff only to see if you closed it and ran the carb dry before storing it or left fuel in the tank and the valve open.
Best to run the carb dry at the end of the season and some of us do siphon out the fuel from the tank too.

Not measuring the Stabil can also be a problem from your description of "oily".
Like anything else that's good, too much can be bad.

Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning. You might try adding a measured amount of a good fuel injector (carb) cleaner like Lucas or Chevron to see if it's gum the cleaner can dissolve ??

I like the Lucas better and it's what I buy but either Lucas or Chevron are better than Seafoam or any of the other cleaners (IMO) I've found over the years working on car engines.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts