Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have been looking for an upgraded snowblower and I think I have it narrowed down between the Deluxe 28 SHO and the deluxe 28. Here in Anchorage the SHO costs 1600 and the regular deluxe costs 1100. Is it worth 500 for the SHO? It seems like a lot? The SHO is from a dealer that couldn't answer any of my questions and just handed me a flier for Ariens. The deluxe 28 is from Home Depot and I found out who they use for warranty and talked with the owner to verify that they will handle any warranty I would need. I am replacing a 5hp 24" toro storm and it seems to do ok but is pretty underpowered. What do you guys think? I don't want to settle and I don't want to feel like I overpaid, if that makes sense. Is the SHO 1/3 better? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
943 Posts

Is it worth $500 to throw snow 50' instead of 40'?

To me its not.

The dealer should demote that "sales" person to a janitor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the SHO would be better for a 28 inch path. I have a Deluxe 24 and I'm pretty sure it has the same engine as the Deluxe 28. I opted for the 24 because I figured that it had more power per clearing width. I'm very happy with it power wise. Not sure if that helps you but the 254cc engine is well matched to a 24inch clearing width in my opinion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kobuk- the price down here in the lower 48 is $1100 for the Deluxe 28 at Home Depot, same as you. The SHO is sold at all dealers for $1350 as is the MSRP shown on Ariens website. Are you sure the dealer isn’t just trying to take advantage of you? Sounds like he wasn’t eager to sell one. I had a dealer similar to this where I live.

In my opinion the SHO is absolutely worth the $250 premium for bigger motor and belts (I own one). But who could know for sure as I don’t own the regular one!

I wouldn’t personally have paid $500 more, however. My guess is that the deluxe will allow you to get by just fine there in AK, maybe just a little bit slower.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Is it worth $500 to throw snow 50' instead of 40'?

To me its not.

The dealer should demote that "sales" person to a janitor.

He is looking for help you being a reg here toss out something totally invalid to a guy who has 1 post

The 254cc is rated 50 feet not 40 the sho is 55feet
where the 254 cc fails is eod it struggles the sho with the bigger motor and higher impeller speed is a star
over 20 yrs whats 500 by bucks chump change living in Alaska seems like a no brainer 28sho

·
Registered
148 Posts
@Kobuk I’m bored at work.... Jewell Equipment in Wasilla has the SHO on their website for $1349.00. They are the only preferred Ariens dealer in the area. I’m assuming this isn’t where you were handed the brochure?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did call back and question him about the msrp pricing vs what he is asking. It sounds like they have to pay shipping themselves vs the box stores don't. To verify, I called another place up north that also sells Ariens and he was the same price as the local guy. As far as 500 being chump change! haha Well, to some maybe and if we were talking less than 10% difference is one thing, 30% is quite a lot. I don't mind paying for quality so that is why I am asking if 2.5 ft/lbs and 5 feet is worth 30% more! I asked if he would take 1350 for it and he just laughed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Kobuk I’m bored at work.... Jewell Equipment in Wasilla has the SHO on their website for $1349.00. They are the only preferred Ariens dealer in the area. I’m assuming this isn’t where you were handed the brochure?
That is the other store I called and they also wanted 1600 for the SHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the SHO would be better for a 28 inch path. I have a Deluxe 24 and I'm pretty sure it has the same engine as the Deluxe 28. I opted for the 24 because I figured that it had more power per clearing width. I'm very happy with it power wise. Not sure if that helps you but the 254cc engine is well matched to a 24inch clearing width in my opinion.
I was kind of wondering the same thing as far as enough power for the 28 vs the 24. There is only 100 difference between the 24 and 28 so I was hoping the 28 would work fine. It seems to have more reviews and I was thinking that must be because more people have bought the 28"s? Either that or the guys that buy the 24's just don't like leaving reviews!:wink2:

·
Registered
943 Posts

a little too hung up on numbers all the time there, 1132LE

the torque, HP, RPM's and now throwing distance

Add in a little moisture to the snow and distance drops to who knows what.

RPM's set at 3480 instead of 3580? - OOH THE HORROR!

Life is too short to worry about the performance difference between 17ft lbs and 21ft lbs of torque and a snow throwing distance of 40' instead of 50'

C'mon

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I did call back and question him about the msrp pricing vs what he is asking. It sounds like they have to pay shipping themselves vs the box stores don't. To verify, I called another place up north that also sells Ariens and he was the same price as the local guy. As far as 500 being chump change! haha Well, to some maybe and if we were talking less than 10% difference is one thing, 30% is quite a lot. I don't mind paying for quality so that is why I am asking if 2.5 ft/lbs and 5 feet is worth 30% more! I asked if he would take 1350 for it and he just laughed.

500 over 20 yrs is much less then a cup if coffee a day.69 cents per day

the 28 struggles with the 254 on the plow pile its well documented here
you will get 20 who say its fine 20 who say its not
you will do as you please
.69 dents a day is chump change

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I was kind of wondering the same thing as far as enough power for the 28 vs the 24. There is only 100 difference between the 24 and 28 so I was hoping the 28 would work fine. It seems to have more reviews and I was thinking that must be because more people have bought the 28"s? Either that or the guys that buy the 24's just don't like leaving reviews!:wink2:
I have a deluxe 24 and like said the engine is a great match for a 24" although if you got the 28" I think you will do fine but may have to take a smaller pass in the heavier snow but will still do the job.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

a little too hung up on numbers all the time there, 1132LE

the torque, HP, RPM's and now throwing distance

Add in a little moisture to the snow and distance drops to who knows what.

RPM's set at 3480 instead of 3580? - OOH THE HORROR!

Life is too short to worry about the performance difference between 17ft lbs and 21ft lbs of torque and a snow throwing distance of 40' instead of 50'

C'mon

you are the only one talking abut throwing distance
its the plow pile that matters
you buy a machine you buy 1 time and do it right

then you dont have to worry about yada yada life is to short or buyers remorse
trying to help vs you talking about throw distance which you wrong about and not any help at all
you cmon

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well it's easy to rationalize spending additional money if you always prorate it over a lifetime, but $500.00 out of pocket now means that's $500.00 that can't be used for other things right now. If everyone used that rationale, Arien's would just produce, and sell, "Pro" snowblowers for $3,000.00 But let's face it, we all have to base our daily spending on what we can afford now.
Buy the machine that will get the job done and you can live with. If that means it might take more time, than you have to put a value on your time and factor that into your decision and your budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it sounds like either go with the 24 deluxe for good power to width ratio or step all the way up to the deluxe 28 SHO. I am probably over thinking all of this and either has to be way better than what I am curently using. Something just feels wrong paying 250 over msrp.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guess it sounds like either go with the 24 deluxe for good power to width ratio or step all the way up to the deluxe 28 SHO. I am probably over thinking all of this and either has to be way better than what I am curently using. Something just feels wrong paying 250 over msrp.

That’s not cool that they quote $1350 on their website. A “plus shipping” notice would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
OH it will def be better than what you had, found this vid of a deluxe 28 and watching the vid I don't see SHO on the blower.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well it's easy to rationalize spending additional money if you always prorate it over a lifetime, but $500.00 out of pocket now means that's $500.00 that can't be used for other things right now. If everyone used that rationale, Arien's would just produce, and sell, "Pro" snowblowers for $3,000.00
But let's face it, we all have to base our daily spending on what we can afford now. Buy the machine that will get the job done and you can live with. If that means it might take more time, than you have to put a value in your time and factor that into your decision and budget.

Lets face it most people are broke because the dont have a budget and waste all kinds of money they dont even know where
2 of 5 cant even cover a 400 dollar car repair but have a 200 month cable bill and a iphone
that machine struggles with 254 which is what I said also pointing out at .69 cents a day its a no brainer for the right machine

he gets 75 inches year its pretty cold minus 20 lets stay outside longer taking partial passes to be fine lol
sounds like a plan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OH it will def be better than what you had, found this vid of a deluxe 28 and watching the vid I don't see SHO on the blower.

That machine doesn't seem to have too much trouble in the video. The majority of the time we get 4-8" dumps, so nothing crazy. We will also usually get one or two big dumps a year so if I went with the deluxe 24 or 28 it would probably be fine. I have a neighbor with a ariens. It looks like a 30" beast and I couldn't tell what engine it has. I played with it during our last 12" dump and it worked great doing our street. It doesn't have the auto turn or the levers, it is just a straight axle design. It is super front heavy and he only uses it if there is a larger dump. I'm planning on using mine every time it snows and being nimble is pretty important.

·
Registered
148 Posts
With the type of snows you’re getting, I’d personally lean more towards the standard 28”. What time is lost at the end of the driveway will be made up by the larger cut for the rest of your area. The 24” will likely handle the end of driveway better, but you’ll be spending more time on the rest.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts