Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a oil film in my driveway by my blower after I was done. I am not sure this is the culprit, but I did notice it. Is this normal? It concerns me that its right up against the motor and presumably extremely hot, which is probably white its cracked. But, it appears held there on purpose so I am not sure.

Platinum 30 SHO, 2nd winter.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I saw a oil film in my driveway by my blower after I was done. I am not sure this is the culprit, but I did notice it. Is this normal? It concerns me that its right up against the motor and presumably extremely hot, which is probably white its cracked. But, it appears held there on purpose so I am not sure.

Platinum 30 SHO, 2nd winter.

Thanks!
A film on your driveway? If this is leaking oil enough to leave a film on your driveway, you have bigger problems. It's just a vent and should be sticky, sorta oily, ukky thing on the end. It should not be leaving any noticeable drainage at all.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Looks like the crankcase vent (via the head), and in such a late model machine, I am surprised that it does not go to somewhere on the intake - reg stopped allowing those to vent to the atmosphere some time ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Could the engine have been overfilled ? [ oil ] The excess would get spit out . Best Bet ... clean around vent, and extended oil filler tube . Check oil on level surface . Work cleaned machine for about 5 minutes, check cleaned areas for oil . A leak can be anywhere, and hard to spot when it drips . Crank seals seldom leak, but can pass vapor, which builds up in bottom of blower housing, and gearbox pan . The valve cover could leak, but seldom a meaningful amount .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A film on your driveway? If this is leaking oil enough to leave a film on your driveway, you have bigger problems. It's just a vent and should be sticky, sorta oily, ukky thing on the end. It should not be leaving any noticeable drainage at all.
It was a small amount - i just meant the rainbow streaks in the water. small amount but it was clearly from my blower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could the engine have been overfilled ? [ oil ] The excess would get spit out . Best Bet ... clean around vent, and extended oil filler tube . Check oil on level surface . Work cleaned machine for about 5 minutes, check cleaned areas for oil . A leak can be anywhere, and hard to spot when it drips . Crank seals seldom leak, but can pass vapor, which builds up in bottom of blower housing, and gearbox pan . The valve cover could leak, but seldom a meaningful amount .
Plausible but unlikely, I am pretty specific when i am filling it. I will try your suggestions, thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts