Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering: I just moved into a farm house in the country couple years ago and is all gravel. I got my shoes on my snow blower set so scraper is about 1/2" off ground. I want to use this blower (very big one) at the Church as it is on 3 acres and a lot of sidewalk. The church blower is so-so but mine would be so much easier and I just like operating it better. I'd want the scraper only 1/4" or slightly less there though to clean the sidewalks. I don't want to keep raising and lowering from my place to the Church. Is their a way to maybe slip the shoes into or onto something to use at home then just slip off when at Church? The shoes (or skids) would be set at Church height always and raised by such as mentioned when on gravel? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Might be easier to make a slip over scraper bar with a couple pins to hold it. If you have a welder it should not be too hard to make. A piece of 1/4 flat bar with supports top and bottom. Drill thru the supports to pin it. When your done the church remove it. Should do what you need.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hello Geno,

Would the roller bearing skids be good compromise so you don't have to mess with the skids at all???
Have you used the Frankenstine blower yet and how well does it work for you?

Even a pair of clip on skis with hairpin clips would probably fall if the conditions were right and the snow managed to break on hair pin clip and then you would lose the pin shortly after-hate that.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If it was me in that situation, first off, I personally would think a 1/2 adjust on the shoes to scraper would still ingest and shoot out a good amount of stones, as gravel is never level. I would probably adjust higher ...

As far as going back and forth, hauling a unit in truck or on trailer, I would think the inconvenience would hinder that thought. With that being said, if your determined to go through all that, I'm sure you could figure a way to rig up something to go over the skid area of your unit, set a church pavement height, by drilling and bolting on some type of poly rise block or such?

My thought would be use yours for your place , and the church for theirs......

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You could tack weld your skid shoe bolts then fasten your skid shoes with quick release similar to the round knobs that hold handles and such on. If you are familiar with bicycles, they use a quick release for wheels. They make bigger ones for lawn mower handles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks on all the input- I'll consider the ideas. maybe an adjustable scraper is the ticket. roller's maybe but they would need adjusting back and forth. I'll ponder these ideas. The frankenstine blower don't miss a beat. Works just as good as the day I finished it. Not real happy on the remote chute.. but that is easy to deal with. It's a snow cannon for sure. Church won't buy another blower because being demolished in summer and being re-located. They have a Arians st824.. but no match to mine so I prefer to make it fun if I'm driving all the way there to do it. I will need to raise shoes more- gravel was being picked up.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Wow, jtclays, that system is pretty wild!

Geno, how involved do you want to get? I could see possible add-on skids, of the extra thickness that you want to add. Lift the bucket, slide them under the existing skids. Then secure them using maybe a bracket welded to the add-on skids, which would provide a female nut positioned above the existing skids. You could secure the add-ons using a thumb-screw or bolt, coming down onto the existing skids from above, through the nut on the bracket. The fastener would hold the add-ons tight against the underside of the normal skids.

Not a great description, I know, but maybe you get the gist of what I'm talking about?

Maybe you could just use pins, as well. It would depend on part on what the existing skids look like.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
What is the snowblower in question? Maybe a second set of skids on the side or back of the bucket.

My Honda has skids in the back of the bucket and on the sides. I typically keep the rear skids all the way up when doing my driveway. Then when I get to the back yard I drop down the rear skids that I have pre marked for the height I want.

Front skids are set to 1/8 shave plate height.
Rear skids I use 1” shave plate height.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the snowblower in question? Maybe a second set of skids on the side or back of the bucket.

My Honda has skids in the back of the bucket and on the sides. I typically keep the rear skids all the way up when doing my driveway. Then when I get to the back yard I drop down the rear skids that I have pre marked for the height I want.

Front skids are set to 1/8 shave plate height.
Rear skids I use 1” shave plate height.
I got an Idea from another member who suggested similar.. but screw jacks. I'll look into that what Honda has.. sounds what I'm looking for. just don't want to lay on ground (65 y/o) to reset side shoes every time I use it. Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
My New HSS 928 as the adjustable heights,I can set it to do a smooth driveway and when I blow a path to the shed ,I just set the chute of the grown by setting the hydraulic control handle to set the different height,a great feature.

as
I think the new Honda Track HSS has an easy to adjust variable bucket height setup.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not familiar with any current product Geno. It's a valid idea though. I know for a fact Ariens is interested in adjustable skids from the operator position. Kind of so you could go from black top, to gravel or your yard, and then back onto the smooth.
I guess for now, you could fab a bracket that stayed on the bucket sides. Weld a "tab" onto different height skid sets and just slide them into the bracket. Have high pair and down to pavement pair. Just tilt back and swap them? With your skill, I'm sure you can think something up:grin:
Thanks jtclays.. great idea. I'll ponder that and others. How you been? haven't heard much from you for awhile. Maybe because I've been off the site long time getting re-adjusted. have good winter- be safe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts