Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping out a friend. The belt guard, whatever it's called, was on the hole just below the one you see it in now. I don't know if he had it in the wrong hole, or not.

However, it just didn't seem right there. I moved it up to where it's at, and seems better placed, I just want to know if it's ok where it's at. Seems ok to me, just wanted opinions.

Pulley.jpg

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, lower hole. I'll move it tomorrow and see how it fits. It was on the lower hole with a stack of washers building it up, looked ridiculous. I have to change the belts, I'll do that all at once.

I'll fool with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention, this is a mid 90s version Toro 7-24. The engine was replaced with a Briggs 11.5 TQ snow blower motor. Originally had a tech. 8HP.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
My vote is for where you have it now, it is better positioned to keep the belts from jumping the grooves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How does the machine operate with the way the belt guides are now? If it operates the way it should now you could switch the guide and see if it changes. As long as the belts do not cause creep in the auger or transmission, I would leave it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How does the machine operate with the way the belt guides are now? If it operates the way it should now you could switch the guide and see if it changes. As long as the belts do not cause creep in the auger or transmission, I would leave it. Just my opinion.
I'm not sure. The guy's my best friend, but UUUUUUGHHH! He ran the thing without the belt guard, and with the guide in the wrong place, BEHIND the belts. As a result, the belts are all chewed up and he tells me "it didn't work right". What did you expect? I'm going to change the belts, and make adjustments if needed then try to run it a little, see how it does.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was going to guess that you had it right, but on this 724 Tecumseh drawing it shows the other.
WOW THANKS! I couldn't find that picture. Yeah, it was in that hole, but it was BEHIND THE BELTS and STACKED WITH WASHERS!!!! He stacked about 1/4 inch of washers between the block and the guide because "it wasn't going far enough out. IT WAS BENT! I straightened it out in a vice, it's 90* all the way around. Should fit better down low.

I'll move it tomorrow and get it right.

I feel like I rescued this thing. :D I'll fix it and give it back to him and tell him "don't touch it"! Just use it and call me when you need something.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While we're on the topic, should the belts ride on this thing, or should there be clearance?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A small gap when the belt is engaged is normal. It will make contact when the belt is slack (drive is off)
Exactly what I thought, just making sure. Not the best mechanism I've seen to keep the belt in place.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
When the belt is slack, it wants to return to a circular shape. This stud will create a bit of a pinch in the relaxed shape of the belt. Without this pinch (oval) the belt will continue to rub the top of the pulley and make it want to creep when the drive is disengaged.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When the belt is slack, it wants to return to a circular shape. This stud will create a bit of a pinch in the relaxed shape of the belt. Without this pinch (oval) the belt will continue to rub the top of the pulley and make it want to creep when the drive is disengaged.
So I'll set it to about 1/8 inch when the belt is engaged.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Be careful if you move it to the lower hole. You mentioned washers and it might be because the bolt is too long for the hole. Just something to be aware of before you get a wrench on it and try to crank it down !!

Maybe someone lost the original bolt during a belt change, never know.

·
Registered
842 Posts
good point mark! that should bolt right to the block with a single washer under the bolt head to hold it all in place maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 inch long 5/16x18 bolt stock,

should be a small gap between the belt retainer and belt when loose to help it stay in the grove and not pop off. when disengaged .most of my machines have about 1/4 inch retainer belt/pulley gap when new

1 - 20 of 21 Posts