Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I may have a chance to get an Ariens Deluxe 28" with a popped 11.5 Polar Force engine for a $100. Seems pretty fair and the guy just want's it gone and that's the offer I made. Only thing I have to put on there is my HF 6.5 at the moment.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
by popped do you mean blown? can it be rebuilt?
6.5 may be under powered for this machine.
Came with a 11.5, so I'm thinking a 6.5 is definitely undersized by about half.
Of course, a Predator 420 is very affordable, even now.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
I think the original engine was 11.5 lbs-ft of torque not HP, probably around 7-8 HP.
Get the job done for most conditions, but under powered especially for heavy wet snow on a 28" machine IMHO.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I think a 212cc predator would run it OK....if deep snow the first pass may be a chore, but smaller bites on the other passes would be possible. I find the 212cc are as powerful as an 8 hp Tecumseh....less cc but more rpm capability.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with Cranman. For future reference.... last year I swapped a 212 predator onto a john deere 826 and drilled out the jet by a couple thousandths. I honestly couldnt tell the difference between the way it blew snow compared to the 8hp that i took off. But i also would say 26 or 28 inch buckets would be about the limit before i seriously considered a bigger engine .

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I have the 212cc on an Ariens 10000 series, 24-inch, works great ... I have a couple of the older, solid steel, JD826's with the 8HP, they work great ... If I ever did a swap to newer engine on them, I would consider the 301cc, or better yet, even the 357cc for sure ... :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just got a line on another Deluxe 28 from a friend who's neighbor has for $200 that runs. Waiting for a call, guy said he still has this one, we'll see.

UPDATE: just got a text, supposed to pick up the 28 Tues evening.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Careful, you're on your way to approaching an infinite quantity of units .... ask one who knows .... :)
Yup but the goal is to keep the Ariens 520, Compact 24 and this Deluxe 28 if it works good. I will keep my 2 2 cycle blowers and get rid of the rest, if people would get odd their wallets, lol.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Her it is, I have been working on this most of the day. I fixed a lot of little things on this and still have to replace the auger bolts with sheer pins and get a new scraper bar. It runs good and I did add the auger mod as this 28 has a 3 blade impeller and my 11528 has a 4 blade impeller. I can see this one could be cut and have the 3 scoopers welded to make it fill the auger housing better but I will see how it blows snow 1st. For $200 bucks, I think I got a good deal.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I know, even selling 5 this year, I still have 11 in done condition .... Including the Ariens ST824 I just restored, which I will put to its paces first snow event. I resigned to the fact that I am a collector, thus keeping to many ....:) But it is fun restoring non working metal back to life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts