Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was browsing ebay looking at Tecumseh engines for sale and I came across this one. It is an Italian made Tecumseh 7.0hp 212cc but very interesting is the fact it has an OHC (Overhead Cam). Which to me is almost unheard of on a Tecumseh, I have seen plenty of overhead valve Tecumseh's, but an Overhead cam, that's new to me and seems rare.
Were these made for racing, Italy is known well for racing.
I have come across another one on ebay in the past and its really got me scratching my head...
These appear to be higher quality Tecumseh engines than the typical US made ones we are all used to seeing. It even has a different style muffler marketed as quieter than most others.
Does anyone have any idea what the story is with these engine's? What they were typically used on, why they are Italian made and why they seem to have some better technology than most of the USA made Tecumseh's like an OHC and a quieter muffler. Clearly a much different design than most Tecumseh engines and I have seen a lot of engine's.
Can anyone shed light on these interesting Italian made Tecumseh engine's?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-ENR212G-E-80900-New-Enduro-XL-C-OHC-Bearing-Cast-Iron-Italy-Engine/253383723958?epid=1283312447&hash=item3afed8cbb6:g:WRQAAOSwMNxXbI8U

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Can't tell from the photos if it's gear, belt or chain.

My question is why they are willing to pay $350 for a used 7hp ??
Because they know it's worth more. This is the ONLY logical explanation.

To who? For what? Who knows. But there can't be any other reason.

My only other guess, if I had a gun to my head, would be they want a complete restoration for some piece of equipment. Wait till you see what incandescent bulbs go for 20 years from now, for those who want to do a factory correct restoration of a car.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
My question is why they are willing to pay $350 for a used 7hp ??
We dont yet know if anyone is willing to pay $350 or not. ;) thats the asking price, not the selling price..this one isnt used, its NOS.

I have never heard of the Tecumseh Enduro engine..some quick googling says they were used on lawn and garden tractors..

Scot

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
So true Scot, I didn't pay attention and thought bidding was at the $350 mark. Now that I'm paying attention I see it's buy it now or offer.

I did notice that the crank runs on some pretty hefty ball bearings so maybe longevity is what it's about.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It says overhead cam right on the Enduro engine sticker and also lists overhead cam as a feature.
Yeah, it does, I think it's a mis-print. Every OHV engine head picture I have been able to find, looks just like that one there, with the square cast piece for the valves, and a valve cover.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tecumseh was [still is] a global company that produced products for markets around the world. Odds are that line of engines was European spec and only made it to the US as service parts for some sort of specialized equipment. I doubt it's Italian origin has much to do with racing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
xl-c x-extra life, cast iron bore, ball bearing crank both sides, c= commercial

yet even the ohv shop manual fails to talk about the OHC nor can i find a ohc manual listed using google

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The Tecumseh Europa service manual states that it is for servicing the "Italian" made Tecumseh motors. The tapered shaft indicates it was made for generator use and appears to be as suggested, an OHV engine, not OHC. JMO

·
Registered
842 Posts
spent 4 hours googling for something about this motor NADHA! yet looking at the seelers photo's i do see spots on the head casting that could hold a overhead cam, with possibly that plastic thing by the spark plug being a screw in cover, the tapered crank dose say generator
how is the cam driven is a great ??

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked up parts for Tecumseh Enduro. It seems they are overhead valves, with push rods. Not over head cams.

Tecumseh Enduro For Sale - Parts For Tractors
In the United States Enduro and Formula were used most commonly on vertical lawn Tractor engine's. They were also marketed XL/C =Extended life/Commercial. My 1992 Sears lawn Tractor has a formula XL/C OHV engine. Those are common.
This is not common. This is a horizontal engine first, which in the US a Tecumseh engine built horizontally was never marketed as Enduro, never saw a horizontal enduro, seen plenty of vertical enduro's. (A few of the last OHV American built racing engines were formula and built specifically for racing, but I have never seen an American made enduro horizontal US made engine and if their are they are rare vs the line of Enduro verticals that were built for lawn tractors.
Also this is an Overhead cam, not an overhead valve, which I have never seen and also has some stainless steel tube running up to its head, OHV Tecumeh's don't have that. Big difference between OHV and OHC. OHC is typically the best small engine you can buy and I've never seen a Tecumeh OHC till now. OHV yes plenty.
Lastly it was made in Italy, has some completely different air filter system that I have never encountered on a Tecumseh and a totally different muffler system, that appears to be made much quieter than the typical ones, Ive never seen that one before (Some of these parts appear to be Italian only, because their are things on it I have never seen on any American Tecumseh ever. This is not a typical vertical Enduro/formula OHV. This is an Enduro OHC with many different interesting design features I have never seen on any other typical horizontal Tecumseh built here in the U.S.
Also as far as the price, $350. It will go eventually, when someone who knows what it is for and has the need for it comes across it, it will sell no doubt about it. I have sold a few Tecumseh engines on ebay. One that was just a regular 7hp Tecumseh for more than that one, so I have no doubt an OHC Tecumseh with ball bearings used and all of this other fancy stuff, will sell for that price easily when the time comes. Their is a fellow selling NOS US Tecumseh Snowking engines 10 and 12 hp respectively.
The 10hp goes for $385 plus 45 shipping and the 12 hp is $425 and 45 shipping and he has sold quite a few of them.
This here is something totally different.
I was wondering if anyone had an actual knowledge on these engine's. What they were built for, the whole story behind them being made in Italy and why so much more rugged than the typical Tecumseh and its interesting design features.
My best hypothesis here since I know they made horizontal formula engines in the US specifically for go-karts and mini bikes, is that this is a racing engine made under the Enduro XL/C line in Italy. But at the moment still just a guess until someone maybe who worked for Tecumseh 10 years ago comes forward with actual knowledge of these things. Subaru made an OHC engine for a generator. The shaft on this engine does have a bit of a taper, maybe it was made for a generator, or to power some piece of machinery of that nature.
Again I have seen a lot of engine's, but an Italian Tecumseh that is Horizontal using the enduro badge with an OHC and a few other interesting features, this one is new to me.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spent 4 hours googling for something about this motor NADHA! yet looking at the seelers photo's i do see spots on the head casting that could hold a overhead cam, with possibly that plastic thing by the spark plug being a screw in cover, the tapered crank dose say generator
how is the cam driven is a great ??
My best guess would be a chain that comes down from inside the block and runs up thru the head to the top and is connected to the cam, that's how Subaru made their OHC engine, if not a chain, a belt or something along that line but using that same route would be my best guess.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Tecumseh was [still is] a global company that produced products for markets around the world. Odds are that line of engines was European spec and only made it to the US as service parts for some sort of specialized equipment. I doubt it's Italian origin has much to do with racing.
Tecumseh company liquidated its engine division in December 2008 and went back to making AC components in the United States with its headquarters based here. Its what they did before they entered the engine market in the 50's and its what they went back to after they left the engine market. Sometime after that Tecumseh sold the right to its name as an engine, Tecumeh/Lausen to LCT (Liquid combustion Technology). A company with its headquarters based in the Carolina's but operates globally. Tecumseh the company that liquidated in 2008 has nothing to do with LCT today. Tecumseh is a US based ac components making company. This engine although different still has some parts that are clearly actual Tecumseh pre 2008. The old style recoil that is no longer produced, the decals that have the old Tecumseh labels, stuff LCT does not replicate. But my question about this engine most likely from the early 2000's is its story, what it was made for, what the line was about, why Italy, what the deal with the OHC and ball bearings are, the stuff that has not been answered yet, not the info out their that can be researched.
Either racing or a generator, my best guess. In the US enduro was followed by Formula. Horizontal Formula engines built in the US were primarily for racing, mini bikes and Go-Karts. Enduro was never made as a horizontal in the US. Enduro in the US was a vertical line primarily for lawn tractors as well as the followed formula verticals that were also used on lawn tractors. So the fact its a horizontal enduro which was the line before formula and formula horizontals were racing engines in the US it points that way.
Either that or generator, it has a tapered shaft and Subaru made an OHC that powered generators.

·
Registered
842 Posts
that tapered shaft tells me machine or a generator, agree to thinking it is chain driven as the castings don't show any signs of belt , then off thread my troy built power washer has a honda that has a double wet belt system. heaven help if that breaks as they are interference motors not much will be left after the valves meet the piston,

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it does, I think it's a mis-print. Every OHV engine head picture I have been able to find, looks just like that one there, with the square cast piece for the valves, and a valve cover.

No that's no misprint, not twice. Your looking up the American enduro line, this is a horizontal Italian enduro. Also American ohv Tecumseh's have OHV stamped into the valve cover, this one doesn't and its got that stainless steel pipe running to it and other differences than a typical OHV head your showing.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The discussion on this has been great so far. A lot of good thoughts on it. Hopefully someone who either worked for Tecumseh or used one of these engines comes forward and shines more light on it. I may shoot the seller a message and ask him what he knows about it for sure and report back what he tells me. Its definitely interesting and different, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts