Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help deciding here. I am looking at finally retiring my little 22" yard machines snow blower I bought 15 years ago for our previous house with smaller driveway, which did the job then. I have been struggling with that machine for the last 7 years in our current house that has a driveway that can accommodate up to 6 cars.

This is what I have:

We live in Central NY, just south of Syracuse in place where lake effect snow can be frequent. 80-100" of snow annually where I live is common. There is no local dealer to buy from within 1-2 hours that I am aware of, so the big box stores in where I need to go.

These are the two I am looking at:
1. Ariens Deluxe 28" - Lowes
2. Toro 928 OAE - Home Depot

Is one better than the other? I like the one handle chute operation of the Toro although I'm not sure that is worth a $200 price increase. The LED headlight isn't needed since my driveway is well lit from the lights on the garage and lamp post in the front yard. Beyond that I don't really see anything compelling to sway one way or the other with exception of price.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What about All Weather Power Equipment in Warners NY?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about All Weather Power Equipment in Warners NY?
Ah, didn't know they existed. I think when I looked on the Arien's website for dealers I believe Cazenovia is the only place that came up.

Thoughts on going with the Toro or Ariens?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I agree. Go over and compare them sometime. Here is a showroom picture from All Weather

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Ahhhhhh, nothing like shopping at a local power equipment dealer.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It's a pic from their site. Judging from the orange Ariens logo the front of the dash 2015 -17ish??

·
Registered
113 Posts
As a tall person, I like the controls on the Toro better. Having to reach over the handlebar to turn the chute crank on the Ariens is pretty awkward to me.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I like the quick stick also. They carry Toro too at All Weather. Get over there and shop around. You never know what you might find. That's how I ended up with my Pro 28. Made a few calls around in the early pre season found a nice shop about an hour away, got a great deal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What's the wood block on the SHO model ?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
These are the two I am looking at:
1. Ariens Deluxe 28" - Lowes
2. Toro 928 OAE - Home Depot

Is one better than the other? I like the one handle chute operation of the Toro although I'm not sure that is worth a $200 price increase. The LED headlight isn't needed since my driveway is well lit from the lights on the garage and lamp post in the front yard. Beyond that I don't really see anything compelling to sway one way or the other with exception of price.
If you are choosing between the Deluxe 28 and Toro 928 - go with the Toro

If you are choosing between the Deluxe 28 SHO and Toro 928 - it's a toss up (SHO has larger engine and higher output impeller than the Deluxe 28 -in Canada they are usually only sold through dealers)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ah, didn't know they existed. I think when I looked on the Arien's website for dealers I believe Cazenovia is the only place that came up.

I debated the same two models just last week. Both are very good machines.

First , in order to compare the Ariens to the Toro Power Max 928 OAE, you would have to compare it to the $1,349 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO . . . not just the Ariens Deluxe 28.

Finally, after 3 days and going to 6 shops and stores I decided on the Toro. I leaned towards Ariens, but after rolling the machines around a bit in the stores and shops and also watching a few vids I went with the Toro Power Max HD 928 OAE. I do like the chute control on the Toto better. Reaching for the hand crank on the Ariens makes one lean forward and had a tendency to make the machine want to turn IMO.

Note. . . if you can still get that 928 OAE. . .. there is a newer version with all poly plastic upper impeller cavity. The Power Max HD 928 OAE has all metal design more like heavy duty pro blowers in the Toro line.

In short, the Toro has a larger engine (265cc vs 254cc), The Toro joystick chute control is easier to use IMO, the impeller and chute design is a better design and like the pro machines,

Watch the whole first video or skip to the end where Paul shows the time difference between machines. The Toro was not far behind the pricey + $3,000 Ariens Pro Rapid Trak and threw snow comparably.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, leaning over the handle bars to crank the chute at such an awkward position is certainly very strange on the newer Ariens... What was the designer thinking ??? LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts

Shame I'm too far south of you (181 miles).
Selling this for a relative that doesn't need it any longer..

IMG_20201017_105228.jpg
IMG_20201017_105228.jpg IMG_20201017_105237.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
As a tall person, I like the controls on the Toro better. Having to reach over the handlebar to turn the chute crank on the Ariens is pretty awkward to me.
I agree. .. it's different now with machines and "Auto-Steer" or Auto Turn. Different than a solid axle machine or ones with trigger steer. Leaning forward to crank and make small chute direction adjustments on the fly may make you turn the machine .
Having to reach over and crank the chute control is a bit different on machines with "Auto-Steer".
Not like the solid axle machines most of us are used to.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Reactions: 4getgto

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally, after 3 days and going to 6 shops and stores I decided on the Toro. I leaned towards Ariens, but after rolling the machines around a bit in the stores and shops and also watching a few vids I went with the Toro Power Max HD 928 OAE. I do like the chute control on the Toto better. Reaching for the hand crank on the Ariens makes one lean forward and had a tendency to make the machine want to turn IMO.
That's a great point. When I was trying out the Ariens at Lowes I thought the same about the crank that it was weird to have to lean over so far to do so. Although it did move effortlessly. Then I tried the Toro at Home Depot and was shocked at how much better it was. All in one unit to direct the snow in every direction vs the Ariens crank and then shifter direct the snow,

1 - 20 of 67 Posts