Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mr JT Monk-
Yeah, your post #37 shows up. The Toro 928 is a fine machine- I remember looking at that model and thinking it looked pretty bad ass, but I went for the Ariens to get the chute control which is important to my snow removal situations.

As far as modding my machine and risking warranty, I don't get too concerned. The worst case, I buy replacement parts and start over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see... I actually got the Toro 928 because of the double jointed chute control and engine speed control. The chute end can be adjusted a lot further to the downward position on the Toro like on their Pro machines.
So when blowing snow nearer to the machine, it can be directed to do so without over shooting somewhere else. That, and along with adjusting the engine speed a bit lower helps keep it out of neighbors walk or driveway.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Nearest, rather than furthest throw distance.

Many of the reviews and promotional materials for blowers stress long throw distance, and that is a factor for me as well. However, so is the minimum distance. Ariens' website specs (Deluxe) indicate a range 3 - 55 feet. On one side of my driveway there's not more than 5 feet of space. Visually, the Ariens deflector doesn't seem to go low enough to achieve this, especially as the engine speed is either full run or idle -- there's no option to slow it down a bit to reduce the throw distance. What's the nearest others have actually experienced? Is 3 feet realistic when directing the snow sideways to the direction of the blower?
My chute deflector cable is adjusted to give maximum throw distance and still points down a little for a minimum throw distance. In my experience it will not achieve a minimum of 3 ft when chute is at right angle to the machine. For the narrow area between driveways of 5' or a little more (I do 3 driveways like this), when the wind prevents a long throw across the driveway, my workaround is to point the chute to the side but also forward which will easily make your 3 ft from the side of the machine. It is obviously not as effective as a proper twin articulated chute deflector setup like Toro or Honda on some of their models. Ariens are falling behind in this important area.

You can run the engine at a lower throttle setting, it is a short throw variable throttle . As you reduce the Ariens throttle from full toward idle the governor spring effective tension reduces and so does the engine governed speed. At idle and just above the governor has no effect, engine speed is controlled by the idle throttle screw. You can decrease the engine speed enough to limit the throw while still handle the depth of snow you have. This I found by accident when shutting off the choke and inadvertently reducing the throttle setting.

Another approach is to lengthen the lower part of deflector where the cable is attached. This will increase cable travel to pull the deflector down to a steeper angle. But not for a new machine under warranty.

·
Registered
Eastern Ontario, Canada
33 Posts
my workaround is to point the chute to the side but also forward . . .

. . . As you reduce the Ariens throttle from full toward idle the governor spring effective tension reduces and so does the engine governed speed.
I had considered the idea of blowing off to the side but more forward, i.e., targeting within the available 5 feet. But if the exit velocity is really intended for up to 55 feet, it will be blowing out into the street for most of my travel down the driveway (a no-no in our parts), and would be blowing onto a walk along the side of the house (within that same 5 ft space) when going the other way.

I use the short distance chute position of my MTD for that 5 foot area next to the drive, as well as when doing the walkway. In the latter case, I aim the MTD chute straight forward and "recycle" until I get toward the front, or back, of the house, at which point I can raise and rotate chute to blow out into the more open areas. I usually do the walk before the driveway, so there's no problem if at the front I blow it all into the driveway -- it ends up at one side or the other when the driveway is done.

But if the throttle can be backed off to provide the short distance and the engine will still run well under load, that opens another possibility.

More food for thought.

The decision balance isn't tipping -- it's moving back and forth like a pendulum. . . .

·
Registered
Eastern Ontario, Canada
33 Posts
That is one other reason I chose the Toro Power Max HD 928. It has the jointed end on the chute and can set exit snow downward where you want it in narrow spaces. I have the same in my front walk area .
Also. . picture included, the rearward chute angle on the 928 is more than satisfactory.
Those, and the throttle control, have been factors for me all along. I did notice the same side-to-side chute swing at the dealer but also that to get that, the deflector had to be raised above the lowest position. It might have been something with that particular unit, or perhaps it's the limit point of the up-down deflector cable when the chute is at the far right or left. I was going to try to look at this more closely at the dealer.

In looking at videos, have you found one where the Toro 928 is specifically being used to clear a large, packed snowplow pile? Paul has that great video of it moving deep snow on a drive (or grass) and throwing the snow into the neighbor's area, but I would have liked to see the 928 working that same deep snow after a road-width of it had been plowed into a pile -- typical of what I get several times a season.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need some help deciding here. I am looking at finally retiring my little 22" yard machines snow blower I bought 15 years ago for our previous house with smaller driveway, which did the job then. I have been struggling with that machine for the last 7 years in our current house that has a driveway that can accommodate up to 6 cars.

This is what I have:
View attachment 170262

We live in Central NY, just south of Syracuse in place where lake effect snow can be frequent. 80-100" of snow annually where I live is common. There is no local dealer to buy from within 1-2 hours that I am aware of, so the big box stores in where I need to go.

These are the two I am looking at:
1. Ariens Deluxe 28" - Lowes
2. Toro 928 OAE - Home Depot

Is one better than the other? I like the one handle chute operation of the Toro although I'm not sure that is worth a $200 price increase. The LED headlight isn't needed since my driveway is well lit from the lights on the garage and lamp post in the front yard. Beyond that I don't really see anything compelling to sway one way or the other with exception of price.
I bought my 1st Ariens 2 years ago and regret not buying one sooner! I'm west of you in the capital district and so far the past 2 season I did not let me down. I have the 28 inch deluxe SHO and it literally eats the snow. I've even snow blown in heavy wet 8 inch snow and easily thru it over 15 feet! the only thing I would do it buy thru an Ariens dealer(not really cheaper thru Lowes) because they will make sure it is up to snuff and all good and will explain things on it.... no offense to Lowes or Home Depot .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those, and the throttle control, have been factors for me all along. I did notice the same side-to-side chute swing at the dealer but also that to get that, the deflector had to be raised above the lowest position. It might have been something with that particular unit, or perhaps it's the limit point of the up-down deflector cable when the chute is at the far right or left. I was going to try to look at this more closely at the dealer.

In looking at videos, have you found one where the Toro 928 is specifically being used to clear a large, packed snowplow pile? Paul has that great video of it moving deep snow on a drive (or grass) and throwing the snow into the neighbor's area, but I would have liked to see the 928 working that same deep snow after a road-width of it had been plowed into a pile -- typical of what I get several times a season.
I think you're asking whether there is a video of Paul doing a "berm" with the 928. That is generally what is referred to as the stuff a snow plow piles up at the end of a driveway. I haven't seen a video of Paul doing any end of drive "avalance" snow. But if my Sears craftsman can do it like it has been I expect the Toro 928 to do as well if not better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need some help deciding here. I am looking at finally retiring my little 22" yard machines snow blower I bought 15 years ago for our previous house with smaller driveway, which did the job then. I have been struggling with that machine for the last 7 years in our current house that has a driveway that can accommodate up to 6 cars.

This is what I have:
View attachment 170262

We live in Central NY, just south of Syracuse in place where lake effect snow can be frequent. 80-100" of snow annually where I live is common. There is no local dealer to buy from within 1-2 hours that I am aware of, so the big box stores in where I need to go.

These are the two I am looking at:
1. Ariens Deluxe 28" - Lowes
2. Toro 928 OAE - Home Depot

Is one better than the other? I like the one handle chute operation of the Toro although I'm not sure that is worth a $200 price increase. The LED headlight isn't needed since my driveway is well lit from the lights on the garage and lamp post in the front yard. Beyond that I don't really see anything compelling to sway one way or the other with exception of price.
I wouldn't own any other snowblower than a Honda they are expensive but they will last forever especially living in a lake effect snow area those big box store brands are low quality. I personally wouldn't waste my money on one.

·
Registered
Eastern Ontario, Canada
33 Posts
I think you're asking whether there is a video of Paul doing a "berm" with the 928. That is generally what is referred to as the stuff a snow plow piles up at the end of a driveway. I haven't seen a video of Paul doing any end of drive "avalance" snow. But if my Sears craftsman can do it like it has been I expect the Toro 928 to do as well if not better.
Thanks.

Yes, the berm. It's just a residential street, but it's usually plowed with one of those large Caterpillar road graders, with one blade under the frame, and a wing blade off the side. The grader goes down my side of the street first, so the two blades are actually covering most of the roadway. In addition there's a left-turning curve just beyond, and the grader is steered inward toward my driveway at that point to help better clear into the curve, so I usually end up with a particularly large berm. My MTD usually can "handle" the berm (in slices) but it can't throw the plow's hard-packed snow very far. More often than not, and especially if the berm is slushy or filled with hard chunks (scraped up off road) it's enough to move it into piles at the front corners of the driveway. I'm hoping to be able to fling it further along the front of the property to avoid ending up with those tall mountains of ice and snow at the corners that restricts visibility and doesn't melt until May! I think the Toro and SHO Ariens should do it (it's why I'm looking at them), but I'd sure like to see it happening, just as the other videos show their worth in other scenarios.

Your comments always welcome!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks.

Yes, the berm. It's just a residential street, but it's usually plowed with one of those large Caterpillar road graders, with one blade under the frame, and a wing blade off the side. The grader goes down my side of the street first, so the two blades are actually covering most of the roadway. In addition there's a left-turning curve just beyond, and the grader is steered inward toward my driveway at that point to help better clear into the curve, so I usually end up with a particularly large berm. My MTD usually can "handle" the berm (in slices) but it can't throw the plow's hard-packed snow very far. More often than not, and especially if the berm is slushy or filled with hard chunks (scraped up off road) it's enough to move it into piles at the front corners of the driveway.

Your comments always welcome!
I have exactly the same scenario with the same kind of plow they use.
One front blade on the plow and another angled blade that shoves the snow right up the driveway most times 5 to 6 feet or more. And, yes, the stuff can later contain chunks of frozen ice , sand and gravel from previous snow falls and road ice forming.
I don't know why the plow doesn't go down the opposite side of the street first since there are zero driveways or sidewalks on that side. But they do and it is usually over half the width of the street worth of snow since the plow is so huge,

I think the Toro will do fine with it's well designed close tolerance impeller chamber and sizeable engine power. My Craftsman/MTD has done well and with normal snow and driveway berm it will be better with the 928 from what I've read and seen on the videos.

Toro put a lot of engineering into the serrated auger blades, cupped impeller blades and chamber at the rear of the bucket. No other snow blower in it's price range has that patented design which Toro also uses on its pro commercial machines.

Here is an article at Moving Snow that Paul wrote highlighting some design. - -
2020 Toro Snow Blowers Review – What’s New – Which One Is Best For You? - MovingSnow.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't own any other snowblower than a Honda they are expensive but they will last forever especially living in a lake effect snow area those big box store brands are low quality. I personally wouldn't waste my money on one.
Ariens and Toro are not low quality store brands. Both are top performers and either should give him at least 20 years of service with basic maintenance.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I beg to disagree. I think that ariens and toro will easily give 30 years if one follows routine maintenance.

·
Registered
Eastern Ontario, Canada
33 Posts
I don't know why the plow doesn't go down the opposite side of the street first since there are zero driveways or sidewalks on that side.
Do you live on my street? Or are all streets with blower users the same? Can't count how many times I've asked the same question, or at least "how about alternating which side is done first".

I think the Toro will do fine with it's well designed close tolerance impeller chamber and sizeable engine power.
A few related notes . . :
I was at HD today and compared the 928 and an Ariens Deluxe 28. There must have been something wrong with the 928 Quick Stick -- it took what I thought was undue effort to move side-to-side. Probably in the gear set up front. I also found that when slowly sweeping the chute direction with my right hand, holding down the release cap at the same time was tiring. Again, I presume that unit was not set up properly. I have to try a properly working Quick Stick over some time to get a better feel for it; will check at the local dealer.

I also compared the impellers; they look very similar and both have a cup shape of about the same size. However, the Toro's was visibly closer to the inside of the impeller housing than the Ariens. No ruler, but I estimate 3/8 inch or more on the Ariens and about 1/4, if that, on the Toro.

I wondered why the Ariens Deluxe and higher models use a brace to support the auger gear box. Others probably know this, but it was new to me to learn that the gearbox has short axle stubs coming out of it. The auger's center tube fit over the stub and that's where the grease zerk and shear pin are located. There's no central axle going all the way out to the bearings at the side of the auger housing, as there is on the Toro, and the lower trim Ariens models.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Quick Stick on the Toro Power Max 928 I bought seems to work easy and ok. I know the cable can be adjusted for the end chute pivot and that may affect operation. Maybe try the Quick Stick out on a couple of Toro. No matter the model or size. . the Quick stick is pretty much the same.

To be honest, I do not know why Ariens needs that center gearbox support bracket. I think possibly because as you mention, it isn't like most other machines with a pass through auger shaft?

I liked this video of a guy who bought the Toro Power Max HD1030 brother to the HD 928 and assembled it himself. Some helpful info for down the road and storage. What I liked is that the 928 uses the same size drive gear box I believe.

Hmmm . . maybe I should go and get the HD 1030 . .lol. Nah . . I like that the HD 928 has the huge 14" impeller maw just like the 1030 and lots of room to churn the snow and let the impeller get at it.
Plus.. . . I see I'm going to have to get some new sunglasses to attain the necessary "cool factor".

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
JayTee, looks like there is no manual choke on the machine, correct ? I still would like to see someone toss a short 2x4 into the auger to watch it stall the engine. I used my toro for 3-4 years and never got to witness that feature.

·
Registered
61 Posts
JayTee, looks like there is no manual choke on the machine, correct ? I still would like to see someone toss a short 2x4 into the auger to watch it stall the engine. I used my toro for 3-4 years and never got to witness that feature.
It does have a manual choke lever and the usual rubber bellow primer.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
PIOM
If you want to compare apples to apples between Ariens and Toro:

Ariens Deluxe 28 vs Toro Power Max 828 OAE

Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO vs Toro Power Max 928 OAE

To my knowledge, in Canada you can only get a Deluxe SHO at an authorized dealer not at the big box stores, but maybe this has changed?

Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Mr. JT Monk

·
Registered
Eastern Ontario, Canada
33 Posts
. . . Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO vs Toro Power Max 928 OAE . . .
Indeed, that's where I started. But also looked at the Platinum 24 next to it because of the chute control and the larger engine.

I realize the Deluxe 28 SHO is more of match in auger housing size, although it does have a larger engine than the 928. The Platinum 24 is smaller by 4 inches, but that's not a concern. If anything, what might be a concern is a tendency of the smaller front end to ride up. Not sure if there's a significant weight difference at the front due to the smaller size. Guess I could go in with a luggage scale and compare them.

I haven't seen the Platinum at box stores, so you're probably right, but I'm focusing on dealers in any event.

·
Registered
61 Posts
PIOM

Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO vs Toro Power Max 928 OAE
Agree and mentioned that in to him in an earlier posting regarding the model and price comparison.

Of course, Canadian prices likely differ from online US prices as well. Also of note is a lot of smaller shop dealers are running low on stock or slow to get certain models as the season approaches for snow fall.
I wouldn't wait too much longer unless buying from a BB store and they have a good inventory. When I bought last week if I hadn't bought then i would be paying $80 US shipping or driving 75 miles each way with a utility trailer to get one.
Depends on what size metro area a person lives near I suppose.

Reactions: PlOM
41 - 60 of 67 Posts