21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The donor stubby arrived today.

The size comparison:
Tool Wood Bumper Gas Fender

The donor saw-tooth gearing ring which will be transplanted to the longer/taller discharge chute:
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Tints and shades Fashion accessory

The taller chute and its base ring which will be removed and placed in the scrap bin.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Paint Vehicle door

Both chutes viewed from the impeller's point-of-view.
Paint Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Gas Asphalt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Make sure you revert to that photo prior to welding, in order you have the right gear position..... :)
Why I always work with spare donor parts when possible -- one can then always reference the original part unmolested.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The sidewalks are a couple of loops around both sides of the street. I'm like at the cross of an "8" residential street wise. So, I'm never all that far from the house. In addition, I usually request a tank of lawn mower gas from the occasional folk that offer to pay for the neighborly help -- livin' off the fat of the land!

As for warmth, when banging out many driveways, the physical work keeps the heat up. What's important, however, is to wear slick ski bibs and a Nylon shell jacket so the powdery snow does not stick to cloth, melt, and make your outfit into a cold, wet, and frozen crusty coating. A two-wrap scarf and ski goggles keeps the neck and face from suffering blowing and fly-back snow.
You're a lot braver than I am.

I don't use additives in my fuel, but I am picky about how it's stored.
I can't even imagine taking fuel from other people's 1 - 5 gallon cans stored who knows where for who knows how long.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Rings removed. I also cut off the back-of-neck rotation mounting lug on the new taller chute. It will need to be repositioned once I have modified the vertical angle of the taller chute to my satisfaction. I will be building a weight supporting arm to utilize the back-of-neck lug to decrease the forces acting on the base ring gear mounting location.

Orange Gas Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Plastic

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
A wedge of material has been removed from the back of the longer chute so it will stand up straighter. The removed wedge is visible on the table to the left of the chute.

Next up is to sandblast the decades-old base saw-tooth gearing ring prior to MIG welding.

Funny! A can of Ariens orange/red spray paint gets captured in the background to the left of the chute deflector.

EDIT ADDITION:

In case anyone is wondering how I figured out just how much of a wedge to cut out of the back...

I placed the front edges of the chute sans base ring on the edge of the table. The chute was then tilted back and forth to various angles until I settled on a vertical orientation I liked. With a machinist's ruler set flat on the table, I slid it into the throat of the chute and marked the location with a Sharpie. I then transferred the mark to the outside back of the chute. Using masking tape, I ran two strips from each front corner of the chute to the mark on the back. The tape edge was marked with a Sharpie and the cut made.

Wood Tool Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I LLLLLIKE it!

Hat Gesture Entertainment Headgear Cap

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
See the "EDIT ADDITION" text in the vertical chute photo for the process I used to get the wanted amount of wedge out of the back of the taller chute.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Regardless how you came to settle on that position, I personally would not have cut it for that straight up position. ... Just my thought.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Regardless how you came to settle on that position, I personally would not
have cut it for that straight up position. ... Just my thought.
To each his own.

If there's a problem, I'll cut out the collar welds and add some wedge metal back in.

Reactions: Oneacer

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
After grabbing something to eat and finishing the other life tasks on today's to-do list, I figured the saw-tooth base ring gear should make a pass through the sandblasting cabinet.

I cleaned up all the manufacturing stamping residual on the gear teeth with a file. One V groove had a weld splatter BB left over from the original chute/ring welding process. I popped that off with a chisel punch.

The forty year old ring gear is now more pristine than the day Ariens had it made!

The view of the chute base ring looking down from the top.
Amber Gas Circle Font Tints and shades

The view of the base ring looking up from the impeller's point-of-view.
Rectangle Circle Fixture Composite material Metal

A close-up of the condition of the forty year old gear teeth.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Orange Automotive lighting

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No one's commented on the picture I posted...
What the crap
I was... But, I had no idea of where to start!

Where did you get that image? What game is it off of? Did the flying little man land in his net? Are you saying it's too much angle or not enough?

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was... But, I had no idea of where to start!

Where did you get that image? What game is it off of? Did the flying little man land in his net? Are you saying it's too much angle or not enough?
The problem is you don't know what it is.
It's human cannonball on the Atari 2600. Depending on the mode you could adjust the angle of the cannon.

I wasn't saying too much or too little....I was suggesting it's a similar issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
that looks very close to the angle on the Honda HS/HSS chutes.
Hopefully will work well for you!
So, what's the deal with the banana angle of the tall Ariens chutes from the factory? Well, the angle kind of matches that of the stubby. But, I'm guessing it has more to do with the turning mechanism. See, these old chutes have a rather large discharge hole from the impeller. In order for the more modern taller chutes of the same diameter to be controlled from the nape-of-the-neck, that center-of-rotation needs to be at the center of that very large discharge port. And, the only way to get that to happen, is curve the chute out of the way making clearance for the rotational control pivot.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts