Snowblower Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
I guess that all he could do
Joker: "And you didn't disappoint..."

There's only so many hours in the day and the to-do list is infinitely long. A custom belt guard or a cover modification of the current set-up is on that list.

And, it's bad luck to build more than one belt guard a year...

Salvaged curb-side water heater tank metal as the base stock for a belt guard on a Craftsman edger. The original guard was plastic which, of course, lasts all of the first ten minutes of use.
Bumper Wood Gas Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment

The small curved piece was formed in the mechanic's vise with a small hobbyist set of bending brake jaws -- many little bites of bends. The larger section was produced in the brake for the 20-ton press.
Terrestrial animal Metal Natural material Circle Concrete

Test fit-up is about perfect!
Jewellery Gas Ring Metal Nickel

170°F for eight hours should fully cure the various coats of paint.
Food Tableware Aluminium foil Ingredient Recipe

Certainly a lot more durable than factory! Safety wire keeps the hose clamp tail from being a boor at the party. The world needs more safety wire.
Automotive tire Saw Bumper Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
FrankenChute and now FrankenCover. The world really does need a ton more safety wire...

The material is either polycarbonate or acrylic. I salvaged a dozen 48"x48" interior signage sheets from a Best Buy store refurbish over the summer. The stitching is stainless steel safety wire.

This should suffice until I get around to building one in metal... That is, if I ever get around to it now. This example will probably be more than functionally adequate for the remainder of the machine's service life.

Motor vehicle Hood Light Product Automotive lighting

Helmet Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Black spray paint and done ..... :)
I shot FrankenChute with its second coat of Husqvarna Orange today. And while I was painting, I did hit FrankenCover with flat black. I wire-wheeled the entire thing to help the paint stick to the plastic.

Certainly looks a lot less garish.

Reactions: Oneacer

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
So, is stitching FrankenCover with safety wire a one-off? Nope!

A long while back the flywheel cover on the Chevy pickup truck was lost. A generic plastic replacement can be had on-the-cheap. But, installing a new one whole requires dropping the Y-pipe. Yeah, no...

I cut the cover in half, drilled some holes in it, and stitched it together in-place with safety wire. And it functioned perfectly for years.

Recently, I replaced the Y-pipe during a manifold-back exhaust installation. I used the opportunity to install another cheap uncarved flywheel cover.

Safety wire is some mighty handy stuff.

Automotive tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
but you do carry it to another level with the stitching ... :)
There's a bit of forethought in the flywheel cover stitching. There isn't much clearance between the cover and the flywheel on the inside. As a matter of fact, you can kind of see the starter gearing through the larger center pre-existing drain hole at the cover's lowest point.

Obviously, I didn't want the flywheel spinning against the safety wire on the inside of the cover. So, the long-running front-to-back wire runs are all on the outside of the cover. The crossover passes are side-to-side and well off away from the spinning flywheel.

After I had it back in-place, I thought about the one-piece long-running single length of wire... If it breaks anywhere along its length, the cover will unravel...

I should have stitched each four-hole rectangles separately so that if one of the boxes suffered a wire break, the whole thing wouldn't unravel.

Always be thinking, "Is there a way to do it better?"

Reactions: 4getgto

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Oh, and since we're on the topic of safety wire, the stuff makes great hose clamp material. In the last couple of years I've replaced nearly three dozen hose clamps on rubber air lines to garden hoses and everything in between.

Wire clamps on garden hoses and air lines are especially handy since there's no clamp tail or worm gear bump to catch on stuff as the hose is dragged around. I have a number of super long air rubber air lines given to me by a roofer. The lines were damaged and repaired with hose clamps until the roofer discovered the hose clamps catch on every roofing shingle they're dragged over. The roofer goes, "You want `em for free? I can't use `em."

With the hose clamp repair unions replaced with wire clamps, the hoses drag over roofing shingles and through the grass as if a single length again.

My take on building a ClampTite clone wire clamping tool using turnbuckles:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
If you've ever raced on a track, you become quite adept at safety
wire! And drilling holes in bolts and nuts...
Extremely handy stuff!

The bolts I will be using for anchoring the 20 lb. front-end ballast plates will be drilled and looped with safety wire. I don't want that slab of 1/2" plate steel rattling off its mounts and coming in contact with a busy auger.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Extremely handy stuff!

The bolts I will be using for anchoring the 20 lb. front-end ballast plates will be drilled and looped with safety wire. I don't want that slab of 1/2" plate steel rattling off its mounts and coming in contact with a busy auger.

Mine are bolted on top of the housing and honestly if you torque bolts correctly there shouldn't be any rattling off.

I used lock washers on mine but even without then I doubt there would be an issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
FrankenCover with its one application of flat black. I will have to hit a couple of corners the next time the weather cooperates. A few areas did not get full coverage due to its hanging orientation.

Notice the peakablue at the lower right front top edge.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Tread Gas

Reactions: Beanhead
61 - 77 of 77 Posts