Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This followed me home today. I knew something was up as the auger gear housing is held together with THREE hose clamps. Previous owner knows nothing about the machine as it belonged to his father. I couldn't just leave it there, one of you's might get it! :) The engine fires, haven't looked at the belts. How common is this with the JD 828D model that the gear housing splits? Ebay has replacements for $190 used and $600 new. I haven't pulled it apart yet. I'm sure the innards are bad. Anyone have one lying around and want to sell it? Someone tell me I can't/shouldn't weld the case. Looking forward to hearing your expertise. Thank you, Scott
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Gas Personal protective equipment Tints and shades Auto part Machine

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would find a parts unit maybe one with a blown motor. They are available.
An ariens 924024, or 924044 model has the same front gearbox.
Here is a 924024 and an 924044 for reference
Wheel Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

Wheel Toy Automotive tire Tire Tread

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a 924024 and an 924044 for reference View attachment 186560
Here is a 924024 and an 924044 for reference View attachment 186560
View attachment 186561
Great information to have. Thank you!

·
Registered
531 Posts
a gearbox from an ariens st828 st928 or st1028 should work, just make sure it has the cast iron gearbox. An st1032 gearbox should also fit but you would have to swap the rake shaft. How is that thing still even working?

·
Registered
127 Posts
You have a gem.....even though it has some damage. I have an 828D and a TRS27......the 828D is BY FAR the better unit. I'm sure a good welder could gouge out the crack, then weld and grind it to a nice finish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... I gutted the gear case and learned that it has been previously repaired with presumably JB Weld. Upon scrubbing it clean gravity took it off the bench and it split in two on the garage floor further revealing the extent of the previous repairs. It's toast. I think I found a replacement gear box, thankfully. One thing I noticed as I now have the machine split is there is not a JD label or serial number to be found. I've had older JD's and they all have had the label. The triangular OPEI label is present on the right side. Am I missing something? Would like to match up the serial number to get an accurate age.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
That's an Ariens built JD so I'm thinking the square label should either be on the back like on all JDs, or on the side where one of the wheels is at. Good chance it's come off over the years. I've seen a number of them do it. I have an exact model to yours at one of my church buildings so if I can provide you any info let me know. It is probably a 1998-2002.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's an Ariens built JD so I'm thinking the square label should either be on the back like on all JDs, or on the side where one of the wheels is at. Good chance it's come off over the years. I've seen a number of them do it. I have an exact model to yours at one of my church buildings so if I can provide you any info let me know. It is probably a 1998-2002.
I’ve scoured this machine over. No remnants or sign of adhesive anywhere!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.