Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I was in the market for a snow blower I would be all over that one for that price. Plus I have one very close to that but nowhere as pretty looking but with a bad motor. It ran last I knew but has enough blow-by that it tends to drip a little oil on driveway. Wife sees the rainbow effect and thinks she is walking in puddles of oil. One drop of oil looks like a major oil spill in the driveway!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
@ kshansen,

I'm sure a Predator 212cc will bolt right on. Problem solved.

I'm also sure a wax, or a paint touch up would give you that nice appearance as well .... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
@ kshansen,

I'm sure a Predator 212cc will bolt right on. Problem solved.

I'm also sure a wax, or a paint touch up would give you that nice appearance as well .... :)
I might be tempted but I did replace the original engines on two Arien's "910018" with these 15c107-0040 11.5 Briggs and Stratton Snow Engine 3/4 X 2-5/16 Formerly 8hp for sale online | eBay a couple years back. Not much difference in price from the Harbor Fright engines and I got the 110 volt starters and the 12 volt power outlet to run lights.
Actually the 110 volt starters are somewhat of a waste as the Briggs start 99.9% of the time with one easy pull on the starter even with them sitting in an unheated shed in 0º weather!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I might be tempted but I did replace the original engines on two Arien's "910018" with these 15c107-0040 11.5 Briggs and Stratton Snow Engine 3/4 X 2-5/16 Formerly 8hp for sale online | eBay a couple years back. Not much difference in price from the Harbor Fright engines and I got the 110 volt starters and the 12 volt power outlet to run lights.
Actually the 110 volt starters are somewhat of a waste as the Briggs start 99.9% of the time with one easy pull on the starter even with them sitting in an unheated shed in 0º weather!
Now that I look the Preditor is actually more money if you go by the online prices!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Yeah, I have 2 units that I replaced the engines years ago, one with a Predator and one with a B&S ... I just use the pull cord on both, as no need for the electric start, even though my B&S has an electric start.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is the shaft on that Briggs & Stratton engine at the same height as the original 8HP Tecumseh?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the shaft on that Briggs & Stratton engine at the same height as the original 8HP Tecumseh?
See drawing below, note that I believe the 8 horse Tecumseh will have a 1 inch shaft where this Briggs has a 3/4 inch shaft. One of my Ariens had the 3/4 shaft( 6 horse Snow King) so it was a simple install. The Ariens that had the 8 horse engine had a 1 inch shaft so I got a 3/4 to 1 inch bushing so I could use the original pulley. But to answer your question the crankshaft height was the same as I recall I was able to use the original belts on both the machines I did.

Two other things that needed some work for the Ariens. One was the mounting studs on mine were designed for the stamped steel base of the Tecumseh on at least one of the snowblowers so I had to replace them with longer bolts. The original ones were welded in so that took a little work to disassemble the tractor part and do some grinding to get them out then I installed longer bolts and tack welded them in place.

The other thing was due to the cylinder of the Briggs being on an angle I had to make some changes to the crank for the chute. This may or not be needed on all machines as Ariens has made changes over the years and models. Would not be able to give any details with out seeing the exact design of the machine you are working with.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm on the lookout for a 208cc or 212cc OVH engine for my Ariens 910018.
I stumbled on a 305cc 13.50 Briggs & Stratton engine but took it for granted that the shaft would be higher than the 8HP Tecumseh.
Note: I'm surprised by the height of the crankshaft. The drawing shows 1.25 inches. A 7 HP Tecumseh shaft is at 4.5 inches and the 8HP is probably at the same height.
I'm not too concerned with the pulley size and the bolting pattern on the tractor for the engine.

Thank you! (y)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Note: I'm surprised by the height of the crankshaft. The drawing shows 1.25 inches.
That's not what that drawing shows... It does not give the shaft centerline height. 1.25" is the height of that hole above the shaft centerline.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
As tabora mentioned, that 1.25 is not the center line of the shaft from the bottom of the base. Your reading it wrong.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes I was reading it wrong.
I found one diagram showing it as 4.17 inches. A spec that now makes more sense to me.

201400_spec.jpg

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
90 Posts
jmg - did you buy it? please update us on the outcome. thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I bought it $350.00 it seems OK I hope it will be OK. I guess I will drain the fuel and change the oil and maybe clean it up a little. Should I do some repainting? What do you guyd think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I think that is not the original muffler
is that an original starter motor?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Machine looks to be in fantastic condition. It appears to have a new muffler installed.

I would change the engine oil and the gear oil in the auger gear box, check the condition of the belt and spark plug (replace if necessary, purchase a spare belt and plug anyway) and check auger and axle bushings as well as the impeller bearing.

Drain the fuel and flush and clean the tank and replace the old clear style fuel line.

Grease and lube the tractor internals and apply grease or never seize to the axles, check the condition of the friction disc and drive plate. Pull the shear pins and ensure they are in fact shear pins and grease the auger shaft.

Ensure the scraper bar has been leveled and adjust skids as required.

You could sand and repaint the inside of the chute if you wanted to, but the paint will most likely eventually wear off, although I probably would as well as apply a good coat of wax, since the machine is in such nice condition.

I would seriously consider replacing that clear fuel line with proper reinforced rubber line.

Consider installing impeller kit, if the impeller gap is greater than 1/4"

The condition of this machine is remarkable. It appears to be the original paint and definitely well cared for. I think you got a great machine for a very fair price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey Ziggy thank for the list of chores dang, I just took off the belt guard it has two belts does the loose one tighten when you engage the drive? I guess I have to dig into the owner’s manual, but it is in covid quarantine for a while. Here is a pic of the belts wow the two bolts didn't even have any corrosion. The belts seem to look good like they have been replace recently. I wonder how many hours are on this machine.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
You got yourself a nice unit there.

I was given a JD 826 and am in the process of restoring it.

Hey, if it is not to much trouble, could you post the measurements for that brake bracket there, its the U shaped bar with the mini v shaped brake pad on it. The one in the last picture there, that clamps on the auger pulley when the handle is disengaged. Mine is missing that bracket. i.e. length, width and depth of the U shape. Also at what dimension the brake pad is located. I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Thanks for updating us on your purchase, so many people ask for advice on a machine and we never here back from them.

Yes the condition of that machine is remarkable. I imagine you could blow snow tomorrow with it and have no issues, but better to tackle the inspection and maintenance in warm weather at your convenience than 2 hours before the big blizzard hits:)

The list of items I mentioned may seem long, but really won't take long to go through unless you run into rust welded axles or auger rakes. The machine looks like it has seen some use (paint worn off in chute), but it has been stored indoors and hopefully well maintained over the years. I don't think I have seen a machine of this age in such nice condition.

The belts look good (check for cracking and fraying and excessive belt debris), when you engage the drive, the idlers will tighten the belt. I would order a spare for each.

It would be interesting to see some photos of the tractor internals, when you put it in the service position and remove the belly pan. Keep us updated and we love photos.

There are many knowledgeable folks on this forum willing to assist you with any questions or issues you run into.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts