Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently picked up a jd 726(1970 probably) from a friend. It has a tecumse 7hp on her. I cleaned the carb and she runs and sounds good, but the snow is only going about 5' out. I'd appreciate any input to get her throwing snow better.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
hello treedasher, welcome to SBF!! might be time to change the belts, yes both of them :D

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Welcome, and yes to all the above.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Yep. New belts, impeller kit. Smooth, waxed chute. Check engine rpm.
Welcome to the forum too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply's.

As for changing the belts, I'm told the best way to do this is splitting the blower in half(auger/engine). Is that true or is there an easier way?

I'm trying hard not to have to send this to a shop as I'd like to learn how to service this myself and i already spent to much money every year on an older pos MTD.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
that is probably the easiest way, on my toro 824 its easy because you just slip the belt between the transmission and auger pulley and slide it into the groove

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k, Once I get a chance to buy the belts and pop them in(dreading having to work in a cold garage) I'll give an update on how it went.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When working in a cold garage it helps to smack yourself on the thumb with a hammer. Then youll never notice the cold.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
When working in a cold garage it helps to smack yourself on the thumb with a hammer. Then youll never notice the cold.
ROFLOL! Funniest thing I've read all day!:D

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Thank you for the reply's.

As for changing the belts, I'm told the best way to do this is splitting the blower in half(auger/engine). Is that true or is there an easier way?

I'm trying hard not to have to send this to a shop as I'd like to learn how to service this myself.
That's the easiest way. The two Bolts, one on either side, at the top just behind the impeller drum. You can see it right below the front of the gas tank, down below.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well the belts went in easy enough. Gained about a foot. So I stopped to take measurements of the impeller for a kit and well, I think I found the problem. 3 of the 4 blades are bent.
So for the moment I'll wait till spring to bang them back if I can't find a replacement at a good cost.
And this really sucks cause the MTD's auger clutch is not engaging.
20141202_112805.jpg 20141202_112722.jpg

Edit: Well looks like I'll be banging them out seeing as most places want $300+ for a new blower.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Wow, with that sort of carnage, I'm surprised that you have not ran across more damage.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I'd be checking my shear pins to make dang sure they didn't put hardened bolts in there. That poor impeller must have swallowed a tree stump.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Either that or a frozen sunday paper.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got the rest of the week off and no snow in sight for atleast 4 days(knock on wood).

How would I go about removing the blower so I can work on getting the dents out? And is this something I should be doing?lol

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You have to split the tractor an the blower section apart, then remove the pulley behind the impeller and then remove the bushings on the sides of the augers. Hardest part will probably be getting the large pulley off. After that the bearing / bushing behind the impeller might be an issue.

While everything is apart check on the bearing behind the impeller and the bushings on the outside edges of the augers. Make sure the augers spin freely on the shaft with the shear bolts removed. If the augers are seized you should look into getting them loose so you don't break the front gear case.

Last thing you could do if bored would be open up the front gear case and check on the condition of things. Suppose if you didn't want to mess with it at least open up the fill and drain the old oil out and see what it looks like. If it does still have oil in it and everything still feels tight it is probably good to go.

Check your belts as well. And if your bored think about an impeller mod.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts