Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stumbled on this at my local Costco seems like a pretty solid deal for $700. USD. A 24” machine with a 305cc Briggs engine, 23” intake height, headlight, one handed chute control, steel chute, a 3 year machine and a 5 year gearbox warranty. Tires are 13”, Images on Costco website and the photo on the box that this machine is sold in show power steering levers, however machine does not have them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
good find find brother cardo
not a fan of the 12 inch impeller
the rest of the specs for the money are stellar
for someone who isnt comphy buying a better quality used blower for that money thats a useable blower with that engine

better then the 24 deluxe 254cc ariens imo or a similar toro
resale value whoever will be nill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haven't heard much about Jonsered snowblowers, but the 305cc motor and Costco return policy makes this really tempting. I just wish it had auto turn. Tough choice... debating between this, Toro 826 OXE, or Ariens 24 Deluxe...

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF GraphixLL

Can't say much about the Jonsered other than my old chainsaw is a monster. The Toro 826 has auto steering and with both the Toro and the Ariens you'll likely be so happy that returning it won't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Haven't heard much about Jonsered snowblowers, but the 305cc motor and Costco return policy makes this really tempting. I just wish it had auto turn. Tough choice... debating between this, Toro 826 OXE, or Ariens 24 Deluxe...
At $700 it's a nice buy. This model is made by Husqvarna and is quite interesting. The front panel with the light is like mine and it's similar to the current 300 series. The control panel is very much like the current 200 series Husqvarna. At 7 bills it comes in hundreds less than the Toro or Ariens you mentioned. My 924HVX has 16" wheels but only has 205cc. The 205cc has always done the job for me. I've had the bucket filled to the 21" height with medium weight snow and it's had no problem. I can't throw that much snow 50+ feet but then I don't have to. I live on a Cul-de-Sac and get some monster EOD piles that are handled by taking less than a full bucket. It works for me and is better than using a shovel. Here is a Costco video on assembly. To get to the video click on the "View More Details" and just scroll down to the video at the bottom of the page. www.costco.com/Jonsered-24"-305cc-2-Stage-Snow-Thrower.product.100427210.html

If you live in an area with moderate to heavy snows, and have a big area to clean then the Toro or Ariens will be worth the extra coin. If you live in an area with light to moderate snow, where a very heavy snow is out of the ordinary I could see this machine lasting 15+ years if maintained properly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Saw this as well, does not seem to have any auto steer on it...only $699 here...still probably going with Ariens 28 sho

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Saw this as well, does not seem to have any auto steer on it...only $699 here...still probably going with Ariens 28 sho
cl 28 sho is the right move imo
the jones boy will have no resale valve the 28 sho will always be worth between 500 and 700

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
cl 28 sho is the right move imo
the jones boy will have no resale valve the 28 sho will always be worth between 500 and 700
Maybe in your neck of the woods it would be scrap metal but farther west to around here every time a two stage snowblower is listed in an estate sale it's one of the first things gone. No matter the brand, condition, or price. Gone, gone gone.... Although that's not a bad thing, then I'm not tempeted, lol.

·
Registered
871 Posts
there are levers on both sides of the handle, so it seems it does have some sort of clutch style steering mech.
from costco, for that price and youre looking for a new blower u really got nothing to lose. if it doesnt perform u can always return it, but i really cant see it not doing well.
it has most things i would want in a blower

in canada this is costcos best offering $850 +tx , YARDMAX 61 cm (24 in.) Dual-stage 7.0 HP 208 cc Gas Snow Blower w/out all the extras offered by the jonsered

https://www.costco.ca/YARDMAX-61-cm-(24-in.)-Dual-stage-7.0-HP-208-cc-Gas-Snow-Blower.product.100378357.html

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
My vintage 1980's Craftsman has both levers, one is for auger drive and the other is wheel drive...no steering capability other than unlocking the wheels from each other. I have looked closely at the Jonered box and it does not show it.

I am not really worried about resale but want something that will last and work, just went to a dealer and looked at the 28 sho.....very nice. Now if your budget is below $1000 you won't find a bigger engine for the money than the costco one.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My vintage 1980's Craftsman has both levers, one is for auger drive and the other is wheel drive...no steering capability other than unlocking the wheels from each other. I have looked closely at the Jonered box and it does not show it.

I am not really worried about resale but want something that will last and work, just went to a dealer and looked at the 28 sho.....very nice. Now if your budget is below $1000 you won't find a bigger engine for the money than the costco one.
its the small finger lever visible in the pic, it has it on both sides, what else would they be there for. like i said, some sort of clutch, probably locking/unlocking the wheels which is steering, i'll take that over nothing, and its simple at its best, quick chute controls, light, electric start, fairly decent sized engine for $700us is a steal

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK that is interesting, I am curious as to why the box description nor the online description makes any reference to what those are

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I would say id it had steering mr cardo would surely said so
he is a details guy
dont see it having steering for 700

·
Registered
871 Posts
OK that is interesting, I am curious as to why the box description nor the online description makes any reference to what those are
I would say id it had steering mr cardo would surely said so
he is a details guy
dont see it having steering for 700
agreed....but the only time i seen those small finger levers was for some sort of wheel lock/unlock control on the fly for helping in steering, its my no means an auto steering mech(not cheap btw) but it is a type of steering control none the less in which none of the low cost budget snowblowers have

edit: i just dl the pdf, no mention of the levers or pics of it in the pdf ...odd, it could be an extra feature for costco buyers, who knows

Attachments

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
.......just a note to anyone who reads this thread in the future......DO NOT confuse this machine with a Huskee built machine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
im not in the camp of cheaper is worse. it all depends on the distrubuter, retail outlet, markup. costco usually buys direct, minimal markup or knows the retail price of said item and prices it accordingly.
if some other retailer priced it at $1100 does that make it a better machine for some....it seems so. if you dont know the actual wholsesale cost how would u rate a machine based just on its retail price.

u gotta compare apples to apples

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
im not in the camp of cheaper is worse. it all depends on the distrubuter, retail outlet, markup. costco usually buys direct, minimal markup or knows the retail price of said item and prices it accordingly.
if some other retailer priced it at $1100 does that make it a better machine for some....it seems so, or if they splash "sale price" on it and make buyer think the seller think theyre giving it away, dont think so. if you dont know the actual wholsesale cost how would u rate a machine based on its retail price.

u gotta compare apples to apples

for 1100 its not worth it
the 28 sho is 1249
for 700 it is
i woudnt think it would go for more then 799 any place else
i would rate good just because of the engine size 305cc
how anybody could look at a cub cadet or troy bilt or anything thats mtd like and feel its better then a 28sho which is the same price or lower is beyond me

·
Registered
68 Posts
Correct! for $700 it probably is a great deal! compared to Ariens 28 SHO apples to oranges. I had a "in-law family" member who tossed a Troy Bilt blower after 3 years try and push a Home Depot Cub Cadet on me......from what I have researched they are both MTD???

1 - 20 of 95 Posts