·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Junk Snowblowers

Snapper M1227E
Craftsman
Murray

The bad transmission is a General Transmission.

Are these still being sold ?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
and your just discovering this now? this is not really something new or even all machines that have junk transmissions. don't buy a single speed mtd machine either. it is always too late for the people coming here looking for help.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Actually it's junk transmission. Not supposed to bash but in this case it's earned. When the trans is working things are great. It's just ugly when it breaks and you find out it's not repairable, no parts available and $250 plus for a new unit.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i am not trying to bash mtd. i get they are trying to make more affordable basic blowers just the like the Ariens 520 i got. it is a basic single speed machine. just have a feeling quality may be the biggest difference. definitely seem to see quiet a few machines with failed transmission pop up for sale every year. even picked one up for myself 1 winter for a whole $40. still haven't found a use for the engine off it yet. when a new transmission is $250+ and it could possibly fail again is it really worth fixing? you can get a pretty decent used machine for $250. here is a good example of one of the cheap mtd's with a failed transmission. if they weren't asking so much it might actually sell.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547080899225908/

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and your just discovering this now? this is not really something new or even all machines that have junk transmissions. don't buy a single speed mtd machine either. it is always too late for the people coming here looking for help.
If you'll read the post I wasn't looking for help just wondered if they were still selling these things as the premier Mr. fixit comes right out and recommends everyone to stay away from them. I was aware of the Craftsman I didn't know that other brands like Snapper and Murray used the same design though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep, I just crapped one today. It is an MTD with single speed. I got it for free, but I spent $200 on fixing/modifying it. It threw snow very far, but crapped out after 10 mins of used. I heard some noises and then the wheels stopped rotating. I took it inside right away to save the embarrassment. It still drive, but feel like skipping teeth. I haven't looked at it, yet, but I'm pretty sure that it was the transmission.

I knew it was a junk snowblower, but I still took it home. I regretted my decision. I actually got mad at it when fixing it. It is absolutely junk. I went online to bash MTD a lot for that.

I was hopping that it would last me a year, or two, so I have enough times to fix my Ariens. But, no, it crapped out the first time I used it.

It had no traction, so I put tire chains on it. I wasn't going to, because I knew it had junk transmission. Tire chains actually worked great. It should be fine if you have friction drive transmission.

It is just that this transmission came from a lawnmower. It has plastic body and brass worm gear. I don't even like brass worm gear, but it can be used in the auger gear box. Pushing a 200+ pounds snowblower through heavy snow is different. It is a lot for a brass gear to handle.

If you search for MTD/Troybilt lawnmower transmission, you will see the same transmission being displayed. The body design is a little different, but mostly the same. $130 to replace that transmission is none sense. It will just crap out again.

I will see if I can put something else on it to make it runs again.

Shame on MTD for making junks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just went out to inspect it.

Turned out to be a belt slipping problem. The transmission is still fine as I checked for the worm gear inside it by rotating the wheels and engaging drive.

This snowblower had no bottom cover so, when I drove over ice and packed snow at the end of my driveway, water must had caused the belt to slip. It felt like a broken transmission (missing worm gear teeth). The sound it made was probably just the axle gear chewing up ice.

I haven't had a change to make a bottle cover for it, yet. I will just take it easy from now on. Being modified, it actually threw snow very well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Kind of got bad news for you. Brass gear is common/standard in the conveyor gear boxes I worked with. Browning, Regal Beloit, Winsmith, Dodge.

I do have to ponder putting $200 into a machine you don't trust (well possible you shouldn't). But its kind of like roulette. Blame the wheel/house or the guy putting his money on the table knowing the odds are agin him?

·
Registered
205 Posts
It costed more than I thought to fix it right. I saw one problem after the other. By then, it was kinda late. I went from plastic bushings to brass bushings, metal skid shoes to plastic skid shoes, tire chains, electric chute control, ... You name it. I only saw the transmission weakness after I got it. Thin metal sheet and everything.

I thought for $200, it is like paying someone to clear your driveway for 2-3 years. I could still get $200 out of it, if I sell it now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A lot of time, I wanted to sell it, but then I did not want to pass my problem to someone else's problem.
I thought, I should make it decent at least. Maybe sell for cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
a guy across the street just tried to give me one of these. last year he asked me to fix it and I said it was not worth it . "buy a Honda" I told him. he got it free when he bought the house so he took it to a garage mechanic well known in our area as being the best ( he is ) and the guy charged him $500 to fix.

anyway the first time he used it , it broke on him. i told him to bring it back to the guy but he wouldn't. he's the type that doesn't like confrontation. wouldn't be a problem with me haha

well , neighbor went out and bought a brand new HSS724 and has been very happy with it. he asked me if I wanted his old snowblower free for parts and I said no. maybe it's an easy fix and I could give it away but why would I want to give this problem to someone else?

it really changed my opinion of this other mechanic for fixing this machine that was probably only worth 50-100 bucks. I guess if it's your only livelihood you don't turn down work.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
A lot of time, I wanted to sell it, but then I did not want to pass my problem to someone else's problem.
I thought, I should make it decent at least. Maybe sell for cheap.

I think you would be okay conscience wise if you told the people upfront about the inherent problems of owning this machine . $200 to some people is not that much and a risk they may be willing to take if they can get a winter or 2 out of it.

I have sold the older Honda models that have only one problem that I know of. Parts availability . I tell them upfront that certain parts are NLA. I own 50's , 55's and 80's with this problem but I also have parts machines so I don't care.

But people want a Honda and usually say they want a cheap Honda until they can get a better one so they are willing to take the risk. Anyways they are all still working as far as I know. No complaints. Just so they know the risk I can still sell these older machines.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Could these machines be retrofitted with a traditional friction disc transmission? It seems a shame to junk an entire unit when the transmission fails. I'm sure there would be a lot of engineering needed by folks much smarter than me....but it's something to consider. It might be interesting to start with an older Murray friction disc unit on the same frame.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit filed against General Transmissions. Those scoundrels shouldn't be off the hook.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Could these machines be retrofitted with a traditional friction disc transmission? It seems a shame to junk an entire unit when the transmission fails. I'm sure there would be a lot of engineering needed by folks much smarter than me....but it's something to consider. It might be interesting to start with an older Murray friction disc unit on the same frame.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit filed against General Transmissions. Those scoundrels shouldn't be off the hook.

I see lots of these snowblowers on sale pages.

My thought on it is if the trans is scrap how good can the rest of the machine be? It is really upsetting to hear once fine names going to such low standards. There are precious few things I want or need but I am pretty choosy where and what I buy.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
To put in simply, I would never even have one of those transmission machines in my line-up.

I hear too many nightmares …. I did not realize they were still manufacturing them.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
would have to find another tractor to hook to the bucket and line the pulleys up but at the end of the day would it really be worth it? if you were poor maybe but finding a cheap to free small snowblower tractor can be a bit on the tricky side. most people scrap just scrap the tractor along with the rest of the machine.
I see lots of these snowblowers on sale pages.

My thought on it is if the trans is scrap how good can the rest of the machine be? It is really upsetting to hear once fine names going to such low standards. There are precious few things I want or need but I am pretty choosy where and what I buy.
i see a lot of them too which is a bit scary but then again i remember seeing them at all the stores at 1 point also. they were the cheapest machine. i think you would see them for anywhere from $500-800 depending on whether they were on sale or not.

other than the weak transmission they seems like decent quality machine. built with about the same quality as most other machine.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
To put in simply, I would never even have one of those transmission machines in my line-up.

I hear too many nightmares …. I did not realize they were still manufacturing them.

But too many people simply like "new". They see a (once) good brand name and assume it's a quality product.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It costed more than I thought to fix it right. I saw one problem after the other. By then, it was kinda late. I went from plastic bushings to brass bushings, metal skid shoes to plastic skid shoes, tire chains, electric chute control, ... You name it. I only saw the transmission weakness after I got it. Thin metal sheet and everything.

I thought for $200, it is like paying someone to clear your driveway for 2-3 years. I could still get $200 out of it, if I sell it now.

The road to perdition is paved with drip, drip, drip!

It takes a strong man to say no.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts