Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 or is it 5 Ariens snowblowers, would have to check! Yes there are 5 if you count the one that is in pieces.

As strange as it might sound I have never bought one! Seems people just feel a need to break them then give them to me!

Thought I had a list of them but can't find it right off this morning. I know one is a 10M6 from back in the 1960's Believe that is the one with the ratchet hubs that is in pieces as one of the hub springs are broke.

Of the bunch I have two that I repowered with Briggs model 15C107 engines believe they are model 910017 or there about. As much as I liked the old Tecumshe engines they were getting tired and hard to find parts for them. These new Briggs are smoother and more powerful as well. Sitting in unheated shed very seldom take more than one pull on rope to start. They do have electric starter but it's not worth the effort to plug in they start so easy!

Let's see if I can post a picture:

These are the two with the Briggs engines. Note that the control for the chute on the one to the right in the picture is a bit low. That is because the crank for that blower does not have a U-joint in it. I'm hoping to find an inexpensive u-joint and modify it some time to make it easier to use. Seems every place I have tried to find one is asking something like $30.00! I can get a u-joint for a car for less than that so being a bit of a tight-wad I'm holding off for now.

Well I'l stop rattling on for now, it's too hot to be thinking about snow blowers right now!

·
Registered
451 Posts
That one on the left is a 910 series and it looks like you disabled the main clutch remote (which I find comes in very handy for the mower attachment.) Is that a 74'?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you are right about the remote control for the clutch being removed. As I recall it interfered with the motor or the motor interfered with it! Never had that on any other of the blowers so don't really miss it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If you can weld or have a friend that can, a 3/8 socket u-joint will solve the issue with the chute rod.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Kshansen. , Where in upstate NY are you ? I sm in Northville, on Sacandaga lake, about 60 miles NW of Albany.rigjt in the rain belt today anyways .

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
@kshansen,

I located some 10mm knuckles for cheap online ... worked great for the chute rod relocate. They came with set screws, but I just drilled through and put in pins.

Careful, as I am up to 8 blowers, all obtained for free, and all restored or repaired and running great.

This is very addictive, and providing you have the space for storing them, you will find you have no room to move, and will be forced to sell some ... :) :D :giggle:

Here is a few of them ...

And here is a photo of that 10mm knuckle I was referring to ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You definitely have snowbloweritus and snowblowercollectoritus, there is no hope for you either.
Well I just had to find an old picture showing the "Fleet"! The ones to the right in the picture are the two that have been repowered. One of the two to the left is now in parts on shelf the one in the middle is actually the first Ariens I ever ran. It was one dad bought after a blizzard in the mid-sixties!

There is also a green and yellow snowblower in the barn but not sure we want to talk about that here! Dad's neighbor passed away many years ago and his widow gave it to dad in exchange for doing her drive and when dad passed it came to live with me. Like all the old Tecumseh motors it's motor tends to be a bit weak and dribbles a little oil out the breather vent and wife does not like that on the driveway!

Well that was great talking about the machines and forgot to attach the picture!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Have you ever thought about cutting digging notches in the auger flights of the 2 dog eaters on the far end of the photograph??

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well I just had to find an old picture showing the "Fleet"! The ones to the right in the picture are the two that have been repowered. One of the two to the left is now in parts on shelf the one in the middle is actually the first Ariens I ever ran. It was one dad bought after a blizzard in the mid-sixties!

There is also a green and yellow snowblower in the barn but not sure we want to talk about that here! Dad's neighbor passed away many years ago and his widow gave it to dad in exchange for doing her drive and when dad passed it came to live with me. Like all the old Tecumseh motors it's motor tends to be a bit weak and dribbles a little oil out the breather vent and wife does not like that on the driveway!

Well that was great talking about the machines and forgot to attach the picture!
View attachment 168009
That one on the right is a 1974 910 with the remotes still intact. It differs from the 73 in that the chute remote uses a real worm then travels parallel with the frame through the frame mount (which is actually part of the frame, not weld or bolt on) then through a universal joint to put the remote operation in a better position for the operator. The 73 places a straight non linked remote on the diagonal just below the carb, like the one pictured second from the right which also looks to be a 910. I think all 910's use worms for chute rotation and they ditch left side bolt on chute linkage support.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That one on the right is a 1974 910 with the remotes still intact. It differs from the 73 in that the chute remote uses a real worm then travels parallel with the frame through the frame mount (which is actually part of the frame, not weld or bolt on) then through a universal joint to put the remote operation in a better position for the operator. The 73 places a straight non linked remote on the diagonal just below the carb, like the one pictured second from the right which also looks to be a 910. I think all 910's use worms for chute rotation and they ditch left side bolt on chute linkage support.
Yes that is the way they were and I'm someday going to modify the `73 to be like the `74 as far as the chute control is concerned. Both of them are the ones that have been converted to the OHV Briggs motors as shown in the earlier post. For one of them I did steal parts off the other to convert the clutch from the remote control lever due to interference with the starter on the motor. Then after that one worked so well I decided to repower the other one so I had to fabricate a clutch lever to replace the one I stole to do the first conversion.

The only other changes I had to make was to get a bushing for the pulley on I believe the 74 as the shaft on the Briggs was smaller and on the 73 I had to replace the mounting stud in the frame as they were too short as they were sized for the Tecumseh motor with stamped steel base mount.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
@oneacer very very cool fix on the chute rod . love this stuff. and love your shed. I need one. have sold 6 blowers in 6 weeks and am down to a very low number ( state secret ). I'm keeping my best high dollar ones for when the snow flies.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
@kshansen,

There called universal joints and can be found online.

Here are some, or you can buy them single.

Note: the setscrews wont hold, I just drilled through and put cotter pins. Of course make sure the chute is operating properly, and any swivel should be around 45 degrees give or take.

As mentioned, if you are a good welder, a socket universal joint will work also.

Also, you will note, as in my photo, I opted to not drill another hole in my handle bar, due to the stress these bars endure, and opted to use a bracket for the eye bolt attachment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@kshansen,

There called universal joints and can be found online.

Here are some, or you can buy them single.
Yes I know about U-joints having been a heavy equipment mechanic for 45 years and had seen the 10 mm ones and was just hoping to find some like them in 3/8 for a better fit on my shafts. Then again I could spend some "quality time" with lathe, drill press and power saw and make some from scratch like I did years ago!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts