Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold the Briggs & Scrap Iron. Also sold the beast (Bolens). Bought an Ariens Deluxe 30 the carb'ed model from last year.
This is a pretty sweet machine. I've used it twice and it's great. I might add weights to the bucket, not sure yet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Congrats..Deluxe is a beast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Added weights to my deluxe 30 efi. I bought a steel bar from a welding shop, 1/2 in x 3 x 28 and painted it kubota orange. Looks great weigha about 13 lbs and total cost under 25 $

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@gearge,

If you first edit the photo, even a minor border change and save it, then drag and drop it, it will retain its position, instead of flipping it sideways.

Not sure why this site does that, but that is how I have rectified it on the ones I post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added weights to my deluxe 30 efi. I bought a steel bar from a welding shop, 1/2 in x 3 x 28 and painted it kubota orange. Looks great weigha about 13 lbs and total cost under 25 $
I'm gonna do it. Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've never had to add weights to a snowblower in over 50 years. Is this something I can look forward too with my new machine? If it needs weights, why doesn't Ariens add them. I've always trusted that family owned and run company to try and do the right thing. Sounds like somethings fishy here.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@vstorm,

I have never needed weights on any of my machines either. I use the proper gear and never have an issue. Of course mine are all older, well bult heavy duty metal.

I guess the newer machines are very light in the front, or maybe there owners want to run in high gear for the amount … ???

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I've never had to add weights to a snowblower in over 50 years. Is this something I can look forward too with my new machine? If it needs weights, why doesn't Ariens add them. I've always trusted that family owned and run company to try and do the right thing. Sounds like somethings fishy here.
Nothing fishy at all. Depending on your needs and machine and snow removal style maybe you want to add weight maybe not. If you want a snow cab then maybe you will add weights. If you want to go like gangbusters into the EOD, have at it. I would never want to go back to the old machines. Smelly, hard to turn, tiny wheels, no thank you.
As far as Ariens including weights why should they when not all need them? There would be buyers complaining "why do I have to pay for weights I'll never use!!!!" From what I've noticed on the forum not a huge percentage of owners add weights anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's for packed bumpy snow. So it is less likely to climb on top of the snow pack.

·
Registered
871 Posts
the older machines were generally heavier as the better ones didnt use stamped metal and/or used a thicker gauge metal, my 1980's craftsman/murray blower is very heavy on its own, problem is when trying to turn it, it could be troublesome if u have no upper strength, just pushing it without the drive engaged is a workout especially on inclines

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess that I'm just spoiled by my 1993 Cub Cadet 826T. It has trigger steering and the carriage has a three position adjustment: Travel, about one inch off the ground. Also useful for debris filled areas after a storm. Normal, scrape mode and Dig, with the nose down slightly it digs through hardpack and bumps. Nice feature to have but I want to go back to wheels now that they are 16". I can use chains and get the same traction as the tracks with the increased maneuverability of the wheels, which I'll need with a larger machine. I also have a 60's Ariens locked axle machine that doesn't have the ride up problem. Thinking that everything is ok with a machine that requires extra parts to make it work under certain conditions is asinine. Does any other snow blower manufacturer have this problem? It's looks a lot like a serious design flaw, offered to the customers as a feature. Another thing I read somewhere here is that there is a model or models that have a release pin to unlock one axle when you want to steer? What's that all about? That function has been handled by triggers for several decades. Are we now going back to the early days of manual controls on the chassis? Does Ariens dislike the well proven trigger/dog clutch/planetary gear set steering system or do they just not want to pay the price for use of the patented device? I know that they have an automatic system that worked great in the parking lot but not so hot on my 300' gravel driveway. I felt like a drunk who used his snowblower to get to the bar in a blizzard. You should have seen the tracks. The trigger steering on my old machine works great and holds a straight line with one hand on any surface, no fighting. I also tried a 28" pro and that one seemed to have great balance.. It had a larger, heavier engine and that must have been the difference. Nice to know they designed the more expensive machine properly to impress people who use their blowers commercially and make the little guy, their bread and butter customer, have to buy a part right off the bat or suffer with an imbalanced machine. Nice! I have noticed many other flaws in what was once a great product from a great company. They apparently still make some good products but be careful which one and with what options you pick. Skip the EFI, the SHO, the unbalanced chassis with the under-powered engine, etc. I've never seen so many problems with a major manufacturer. I'm glad I looked here to see what's new in this world. I am shocked to see that some people now a days are accepting mediocrity as normal. Ariens still makes some excellent performing machines, they just need to work on their reliability and refine their product design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts