Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Tacoma and 1995 Toro
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1995ish Toro for $20 from a friend who was selling the home of his late parents; It ran when parked but had been sitting for at least a decade. I took it to a local Toro dealer after putting gas in it (it did not start). I ended up selling it to the Toro dealer for a $5 profit ($25) and subtracting that from the price a used 1990s Craftsman. The Craftsman is not in perfect condition, but it fires right up every time! It also motorized rubber tracks instead of wheels; I paid $175 for it, which consider how much new machines are going for, I believe to an okay deal...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
welcome. what was wrong with the the toro that made you sell it? to be honest it will have likely been a better machine than that craftsman. dealerships are usually the worst place to take older machines. would have likely been better off with a small engine mechanic. dealers usually just throw parts at stuff which can get expensive quick. if that craftsman is anything like my noma that a very similar looking bucket you will likely need to do the impeller mod to it to make it throw decent. i could also be wrong but i feel like that 4hp might be under powered to be throwing snow.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I probably would have kept the Toro.
As Crazzywolfie advised, I'm pretty sure a small engine mechanic could have had the machine running and operating in under half an hour.
Good luck with your new machine.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
I bought a 1995ish Toro for $20 from a friend who was selling the home of his late parents; It ran when parked but had been sitting for at least a decade. I took it to a local Toro dealer after putting gas in it (it did not start). I ended up selling it to the Toro dealer for a $5 profit ($25) and subtracting that from the price a used 1990s Craftsman. The Craftsman is not in perfect condition, but it fires right up every time! It also motorized rubber tracks instead of wheels; I paid $175 for it, which consider how much new machines are going for, I believe to an okay deal...
depends. did you service it yet?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome,
It looks like it needs some new skid plates.
Probably needs the normal servicing too?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
welcome. what was wrong with the the toro that made you sell it? to be honest it will have likely been a better machine than that craftsman. dealerships are usually the worst place to take older machines. would have likely been better off with a small engine mechanic. dealers usually just throw parts at stuff which can get expensive quick. if that craftsman is anything like my noma that a very similar looking bucket you will likely need to do the impeller mod to it to make it throw decent. i could also be wrong but i feel like that 4hp might be under powered to be throwing snow.
Wouldn’t start at all and had been sitting for at least a decade, and it didn’t have auto-drive...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Where should I take it to get serviced?
Do it yourself? Skid plates just unbolt. Scraper bar too.
Belts easy.
Lube easy.
Change oil, easy?
Why pay someone?

EDIT, unplug the spark plug and check your auger and impeller for play, put on gloves and try to wiggle it side to side, up and down, in and out.
I just replaced mine. They are garbage.

Reactions: Rooskie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do it yourself? Skid plates just unbolt. Scraper bar too.
Belts easy.
Lube easy.
Change oil, easy?
Why pay someone?

EDIT, unplug the spark plug and check your auger and impeller for play, put on gloves and try to wiggle it side to side, up and down, in and out.
I just replaced mine. They are garbage.
Oil's good, but should I change it now just to be safe? It takes the same oil as my truck (5W-20) and I was told it's okay to run Mobil 1 full synthetic (which I also run in my truck). Where do I get the belts? This is my very first snowblower (technically second, but first running example), so I don't know much about where to get parts...

However, doing routine maintenance on anything with an internal combustion engine is something I know very well! If anything, it should be easier to work on than my truck!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Wouldn’t start at all and had been sitting for at least a decade, and it didn’t have auto-drive...
sitting is usually not an issue. really seems like it just needed to be seen by a real mechanic. also seems weird that a dealer would buy it. could have done a engine swap on it. those older toro's are really good quality machines. if the machine looked good it would have been worth tossing a new or used engine on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sitting is usually not an issue. really seems like it just needed to be seen by a real mechanic. also seems weird that a dealer would buy it. could have done a engine swap on it. those older toro's are really good quality machines. if the machine looked good it would have been worth tossing a new or used engine on.
How much would a new engine have cost?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to try and get the Toro back tomorrow...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
depends on which one it would have needed but a predator engine is usually $100
Like I said, I'm gonna try and get it back tomorrow; I'll pay him $25 and get it back, but keep the Craftsman just in case, then I'll take it to a small engine mechanic.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
if you do get it back you could always check the engine out that is on it first. best to start by checking for spark then fuel. even if you try spraying some flammable liquid in the carbs intake it should fire if you got spark and engine is mechanically sound. it will likely need the carb cleaned since it sat so long but it might be fine.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts