Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old 826 LE finally needed replacement after I discovered a bad bearing, leaking gearbox and broken scraper. I could have put some $$$ into it, but felt more comfortable having a new, reliable machine. My wife works in a hospital here in Newfoundland and she has to make it to work even on the days when everything is closed due to snow.

I went with the dealer as the $1899 CDN price was comparable to Home Depot and the dealer had the unit on hand. HD has a 3-4 week back order. The dealer also took my used 826 on trade for $225.

The dealer also does all prep and service for HD machines so hopefully I may get some preferential treatment when in need of servicing.

I was going to upgrade to the 928 at first, but finally decided on the 1028 (extra $300 CDN) just because my 140' X 30' driveway took a little too long with the 826 which was purchased based on a small city driveway at our old home. We have a very steep drive with a 25' high lawn bank at the end that the 826 sometimes had trouble blowing over.

I'm hoping the 1028 has that little extra "ummph" to make the blowing a little easier.

I have to admit that I'm a little torn... dreading the first snow as the start of a long, cold winter (800+ cm of snow last year) and being a little excited about getting out with the 1028. I'll post some pics the first time our driveway fills in with 6'+ drifts :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nice purchase as it surely will do the job. I read on another thread that Toros have the impeller gap with the housing pretty close, if it is less than 1/4" then no need for an impeller mod for extra distance and dealing with wet and slushy snow. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
It's always a tough decision between wanting to stay warm and dry and going out and playing with a new blower. :D
Nice choice of machine.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
It's always a tough decision between wanting to stay warm and dry and going out and playing with a new blower. :D
Nice choice of machine.
Really? It has always been a no brainer for me. Heck, after I rebuilt my Ariens I went out with a shovel the first few times it snowed just so I could get a pile big enough to run it through.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello 03eunos, welcome to SBF and congrats

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually modded mine last year with the rubber flaps on the impeller. The gap is so small on the Toro it didn't do jack. I wasted my time. For half the price of a Honda it works great.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Gondo good to see you woke us Toro fans up, for a long time it was very very slow in the land of the big red machine. Now I can check in before the morning coffee again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice.
I was a solid Arien's fan till I got my HD928 OXE.
Sorry, for me there is no comparison, especially to my last one, a 926Le.
I had to spend a extra $200 on the 926 to get it to perform half way decent (pin mod for disco-matic, dual belts, extra shield to keep water and ice of drive and auger belts).
Always maintain my machines meticulously.
Particularly the auger belt would stretch out of adjustment every year. The dual belt solved this for the most point-but IMHO it should have been built this way from the get go. When new-first time in wet heavy snow it stretched to the max adjustment point. Same with shear pins-some years a few, some none, other years more then a few.
Plus it never worked well in slush-and I wanted to avoid any more $ on mods.
IMHO Ariens threw out the dual auger/after thought as a correction for a major blunder-did they actually test this unit in heavy wet snow?-yes I live in WI-not that far from the factory.
Sorry-but this seems to be a habit of them lately...
Sure, I liked the all metal construction, but if it's not engineered right-seems of little value IMHO. All the metal doesn't do a thing if it can't do it's basic task-blow all types of snow-in all types of winter conditions quickly and efficiently with little hassle.
Personally I think the metal vs plastic is just a marketing tactic and glosses over the poor R&D.
Ariens has been making blowers for a long time. IMHO they should have this down by now to a "science"-without the consumer having to spend extra money to get it to do it's basic task.
In part-that's why I avoided Ariens this time.
So I have to buy expensive poly skids on top of a new machine so (maybes as it seems) the Auto Steer will work right on gravel, and shoulders of the road?
Sorry-not this time.
Toro worked great out of the box (all my blowers where dealer purchased)
never had to adjust the auger belt once. The directional triggers are the way to go IMHO-quick and effective. What's the point of buying and paying for power steering if it's not going to work right in all conditions? Makes no sense to this cat...
Another thing I noticed right away it's much better balanced and handles easy and smoothly.
Auger housing and frame are plenty thick, and well braced, thoughtfully and purposefully engineered IMHO.
Down to the basic task-
It throws much farther then any of my Ariens, particularly in wet snow and slush, and you can actually blow powder way faster and farther then the Ariens with out bogging. And it's only a 9 hp-not the big boy. Quiet and smooth and very efficient at using it's available horsepower.
Sorry-I was orange fan for years, but a solid red/white convert.
It may have plastic, but it's very well engineered IMHO at performing it's basic tasks without requiring mods, needless fiddling etc. Sorry, I'm already married.....
And maybe that's in part why Toro's are a few $100 more expensive.
They actually did some serious R&D on their machines-instead of leaving it to the customer to figure out.
Just a quick look at the threads here makes that very clear......IMHO of course.
On the other hand-Toro rate's the HD's for professional use-so at that point they are wash more or less....as the Ariens Pro models hover around 2k and up.
Toro's least expensive 2 stage pro model, the HD 828 OXE is $1399.00, right smack in the middle of Ariens consumer models, so in that sense they are a bargain IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you ever wish you had gotten the larger engine on the1028 ? Any problems with power on the 928?
No problems with lack of power.
My driveway is probably 85'-3 cars wide, plus a few sidewalks.
I regularly blow paths around to the back yard with no problems in deep snow above the auger housing-it just goes.
For years I have used the Teflon/Silicone spray on my snow blowers, so this may help some.
The main reason I have used it in the past was to keep down on rust in the auger housing, as I'm always blowing snow on gravel, and the inside get's nicked and scraped, and this keep it from rusting.
It also cuts down on having to brush out the housing then parking the blower.
Not sure if I have noticed any real difference in performance on any of my machines-but again I just to it by habit for the other reasons mentioned.
When I was looking the Toro salesmen informed me a 9hp Toro will perform on par with a 10hp Ariens, or Simplicity, because their design in blowing/recirculating the snow is more efficient.
I never really had a lack of power with the 926LE, it never really bogged down on me-just didn't throw snow very far for it's size-particularly the wet slushy stuff. There were a few times with the 926le I would have to modulate the drive on occasion, but that's was some huge drifts way over the auger housing. Have not encountered those yet since buying the Toro.
He said the 928 should be fine-and if I didn't think it had enough power I could upgrade after a few determining snowfalls at no charge.
I always run my blowers @ max throttle-like lawn mowers etc.
If you think you might need more power-go for it-especially if you encounter huge drifts on a regular basis.
They are offering 18 months 0% financing so you can spread the extra $ over time.
What's so refreshing for me is no issues-no tinkering, or spending extra $ with a poorly designed new machine
I'm really not trying to knock Ariens-just my opinions and experiences over the years.
Just look here, and other sites-the Ariens owners are usually are having the issue of some kind-this or that-maybe small but they add up over time-you only see a few issue with Toro's-they just seem to go-to me that says volumes on where to spend my hard earned dollars.
By the way-this unit was built in the USA.
I wasn't sold on the Auto Turn for my conditions (the main reason I went shopping was the 926le is a beast to turn)-and was pleasantly surprised (actually blown away) at how well the Toro performed, and what I was really missing over the years in performance and getting the job done faster and easier.
Good stuff IMHO..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice choice of machine.
I hear ya. A new snow blower is a bitter sweet purchase. You kind of want it snow to try it out but yet it's sure nice not having the snow around too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
automojo: Thanks for the great reply. One last question. Do you see any benefit of the plastic shute over the steel with the gravel driveway? I also have a gravel driveway and I remember borrowing my fathers last year and every once in a while you would hear the occasional rock firing out. I don't have a good sense of how much damage that does over time to the steel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
automojo: Thanks for the great reply. One last question. Do you see any benefit of the plastic shute over the steel with the gravel driveway? I also have a gravel driveway and I remember borrowing my fathers last year and every once in a while you would hear the occasional rock firing out. I don't have a good sense of how much damage that does over time to the steel.
Can only speak from my personal experience, but have no qualms regarding the 'plastic' :

At least a far as Toro goes...
Sub Zero Material - Guaranteed For Life

Chute, deflector and ACS are made of a special cold-weather material durable to -104˚ F and guaranteed for life. It is also rust-free, so there’s no binding, and snow and ice won't stick.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts