Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Figured I'd update so others are aware and make informed decisions. I took the machine to the dealer where I purchased it from. The code I was able to read from the flashing led is 2-7 which indicates low/no fuel pressure, which I assumed because I know longer heard any of the noises it made when first turning it on. Seams that these fuel pumps on these machine are a common failure from what I've read on others having the same issue. Now as for the argument of carb vs EFI.... Yes carbs get gummed up and such and efi wont obviously. BUT I can work on any carburetor machine with my eyes closed. This machine you need a degree. Hopefully when they repair it I have no further issues with it or I will most likely rid myself of this technology.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Used this thing ONCE. Put away properly, stabilized the fuel and attempted to start today.....NO GO. What a POS and a bad mistake by me to buy this new garbage EFI shit. Guess i have to bring it to the dealer already. Wow

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
i can rebuild a carb in about 15 minutes and always have spares laying around. Im not a fan on EFI on small engines.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
i can rebuild a carb in about 15 minutes and always have spares laying around. Im not a fan on EFI on small engines.
I "thought" it would be less trouble (not that I had any trouble with my old one AT ALL). I had the bug to buy a new machine and was really intrigued by the new EFI and its functions. I wasn't so intrigued any more as my son and I pushed and pulled it up ramps into the truck to take it to the dealer. First time i have ever had to use dealer service in my life and hopefully the last after they fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I would be upset as well after spending big $ on the machine and having an issue that renders the brand new machine inoperable. At least the machine is still under warranty, hopefully the dealer can give you some peace of mind that the defective part has been replaced with an improved design and it won't happen again.

I personally would not go with EFI on OPE, prefer the tried and true carb design, that is simple, easily repaired/replaced and usually trouble free if you follow the owners manual for fuel and storage.

I think you have a beast of a snow blower, the Pro series are nice machines, hopefully the dealer will get the EFI system sorted out. Follow your owners manual to the letter with regards to the EFI system and storage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would be upset as well after spending big $ on the machine and having an issue that renders the brand new machine inoperable. At least the machine is still under warranty, hopefully the dealer can give you some peace of mind that the defective part has been replaced with an improved design and it won't happen again.

I personally would not go with EFI on OPE, prefer the tried and true carb design, that is simple, easily repaired/replaced and usually trouble free if you follow the owners manual for fuel and storage.

I think you have a beast of a snow blower, the Pro series are nice machines, hopefully the dealer will get the EFI system will get sorted out. Follow your owners manual to the letter with regards to the EFI system and storage.
Yeah I'm hoping after the repair that it comes back in the brand new condition it left in and not have all the screws and bolts look like someone tore into it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have efi on my Snowmobile, Truck, professional Briggs lawnmower engines, but seekd out the Briggs 420 Carbed engine last year. Fuel pumps have been troublesome, and honestly, even being in new England, most people put so few hours on snowblowers compared to a lawnmower, I'd give em a few more year, or upgrades to work out the bugs.

Reactions: jr27236

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have efi on my Snowmobile, Truck, professional Briggs lawnmower engines, but seekd out the Briggs 420 Carbed engine last year. Fuel pumps have been troublesome, and honestly, even being in new England, most people put so few hours on snowblowers compared to a lawnmower, I'd give em a few more year, or upgrades to work out the bugs.
I thought they had already, unfortunately I got caught up in the nice shiny orange. I must admit I have a little buyers remorse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a note, when your warranty is up and you need engine parts look up the parts online from a LCT dealer. Example Ariens fuel pump over $100, LCT as cheap as $19. Come in a box with both Ariens and LCT part #'s printed on it. I want to support my local dealer but there is a limit as to my willingness to take it in the rear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Just a note, when your warranty is up and you need engine parts look up the parts online from a LCT dealer. Example Ariens fuel pump over $100, LCT as cheap as $19. Come in a box with both Ariens and LCT part #'s printed on it. I want to support my local dealer but there is a limit as to my willingness to take it in the rear.
I took it in the rear buying this thing. I appreciate the heads up on parts hopefully I dont need any

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I'd figure I would update as the winter season is steadily growing nearer. I had dropped my machine at the dealer approx sept 20-25th(have to look at service receipt) regardless still nave not repaired the machine or figured out what was wrong as the dealer states they are waiting on Ariens tech to tell them what to fix/replace. My point to these updates is to keep you informed on the process and maybe educate any prospective buyers of these EFI machines. I spent over 3k on this and NEVER used it and it failed to start after 2 months in proper storage. I have NEVER had an issue with any previous carb machines and have to concede that I believe I made a mistake on this machine. It is at the dealer 2 months. Now yes the dealer is most likely dragging its feet on this but regardless I have NEVER EVER had to take any machine in for service under any circumstances. Buyer beware is all I can say. Waste of 3k. Damn orange pulled me in like a tractor beam!!! Lol

·
Registered
780 Posts
I feel a properly designed EFI system would benefit small engines a lot.

By properly designed I mean just like on cars where the fuel tank etc is in a slight vacuum and not open to the atmosphere. Really, I would expect it to solve most of the problems people have with snow blowers etc.

Unfortunately I'm guessing the EFI they're putting on them is far from what I imagine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I feel a properly designed EFI system would benefit small engines a lot.

By properly designed I mean just like on cars where the fuel tank etc is in a slight vacuum and not open to the atmosphere. Really, I would expect it to solve most of the problems people have with snow blowers etc.

Unfortunately I'm guessing the EFI they're putting on them is far from what I imagine.
When I first dropped it off I brought the small little charger for the internal control module battery, they said they didnt need it as they have other well they called me today for the charger to do testing on as they stated. I just got a call telling me it started right up and that the battery was dead? (No way, I charged it) they also asked me what kind of fuel i put in it. I only topped it off with reg gas from the station with of course ethenol because you cant get e-free gas need me unless you buy the can. He said he also cleaned the needle jet on the injector because it was gummed up? We are talking a BRAND NEW never used machine. Now I have to worry about a finicky injector when the sole purpose of getting it was to avoid carb issues because of ethanol!! I even put the Stabil Marine in it as I was told thats the best additive to combat ethanol. I have a real bad feeling as for the dependency of this machine when i will need it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah i always put in the stabil, bit also had a boat mechanic tell me to put in marvel to lube the injectors of my mercruiser. Maybe i will try that or seafoam

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jr27236, is your gas can a modern sealed can?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Jr27236, is your gas can a modern sealed can?
Yes plastic ones but that has nothing to do with the issue.
I purchased it brand new 2/18 right out of a crate, wasn't sitting at the dealer with gas in it. They filled it. I played around with it for 1hour most of run time. Put stabil directly to machine and topped off to mix. Ran machine for a while, put away took two months later NO start, called dealer, they advised to make sure battery is charged(it was), 1 month later I finally got around to try again NO start. I then took to dealer. DONT BUY EFI TOO COMPLICATED.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Find a new Dealer the EFI system is not that complicated, should be a ten minute diagnosis with a power probe or meter.
You stated there was no noise from the fuel pump in a previous post. There are only 4 parts to check battery, harness, module,and pump. Obviously parts swapers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Find a new Dealer the EFI system is not that complicated, should be a ten minute diagnosis with a power probe or meter.
You stated there was no noise from the fuel pump in a previous post. There are only 4 parts to check battery, harness, module,and pump. Obviously parts swapers.
I agree about the dealer part. I even gave them the code the led flashed which indicated about the fuel pump. My point I guess is that NO machine should ever be this complicated and at the end of the day is unnecessary. I got caught up buying this thing because of all the gadgets. I have never had any issues with a gravity fed carb and if I did, it was running ten minutes later. I may get rid of this one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
They called me yesterday to pick it up today. The guy drove it out running where it stalled and would not restart. Stickers are all faded now from being left outside under a canopy when I was told it was inside. Dealer and Ariens are useless in rectifying any of this. The dealer didnt even register it through Ariens. States they use the receipt!! Any dealer people on here do the same? Ariens said they should of registered it. The dealer took the top reg paper and a sticker off the reg sheet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The warranty should be between the dealer and Ariens, its not your fault. If you have a receipt...

Did you buy with a credit card? If so I would give them a call. You may be protected.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts