Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found an 10,000 series Ariens, model 910010 snowblower, serial 001209 with an elect. start. I've been looking for a 32" snowblower and found this one for $180.

I bought this because it ran well and I could just tune up the carbs because it sat, but is there anything in particular I should know about these machines, such as quirks to watch out for? Apparently it has a heavier duty auger gear box. Anything I should address first on this before the snow hits?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Ariens manual says #910010 is a 1973 model year. Serial numbers went from 101-6690.

Check it over carefully. Bushing and bearings wear out. If they haven't ever been replaced, then they are due. I'm doing that now on my 1971 910962. Bearings, bushing, tires and tubes ran about $140. Check the spindle hub. Is it aluminium or steel? Mine was aluminium and cracked. Pull the blower off and check the auger rear bearing.

Here's my standard check list:

Engine: Drain the oil, refill with 5w30 synthetic. Clean the spark plug and lube the cylinder. Check the compression while the plug is out. Pull the bowel off the carb -- flush and clean it.

Thower: Pull the shear pins, rotate and grease the rakes. Drain the gear box. If it comes out dirty, flush with diesel or mineral sprits until clean, then refill with 80w90. Check all the shaft bushings/bearings. Everything should spin easily with the belt disengaged.

Drive: Pull the lower plate, then lube all the moving parts -- use a lot of ATF if necessary, then grease. Check the hub/spindle bearings. Check the drive wheel bushings. Check the friction disk for wear. Everything should turn over nice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Ariens manual says #910010 is a 1973 model year. Serial numbers went from 101-6690.

Check it over carefully. Bushing and bearings wear out. If they haven't ever been replaced, then they are due. I'm doing that now on my 1971 910962. Bearings, bushing, tires and tubes ran about $140. Check the spindle hub. Is it aluminium or steel? Mine was aluminium and cracked. Pull the blower off and check the auger rear bearing.

Here's my standard check list:

Engine: Drain the oil, refill with 5w30 synthetic. Clean the spark plug and lube the cylinder. Check the compression while the plug is out. Pull the bowel off the carb -- flush and clean it.

Thower: Pull the shear pins, rotate and grease the rakes. Drain the gear box. If it comes out dirty, flush with diesel or mineral sprits until clean, then refill with 80w90. Check all the shaft bushings/bearings. Everything should spin easily with the belt disengaged.

Drive: Pull the lower plate, then lube all the moving parts -- use a lot of ATF if necessary, then grease. Check the hub/spindle bearings. Check the drive wheel bushings. Check the friction disk for wear. Everything should turn over nice.
Very helpful, thank you! The engine runs well once it starts but I definetly want to clean that carb and replace the spark plug on it. The pull start feels like it has compression but I'll grab a gauge to check regardless.

Nice thing about the auger rakes on this is that the PO put grease fittings in before.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Nice thing about the auger rakes on this is that the PO put grease fittings in before.
Nope, not the previous owner, it came with grease zerks when new, standard equipment from Ariens.

Nice find! I also have a 32" 10,000 series, I love it..

Scot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts