Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray 1696028 900 Snow Series 27-Inch 205cc Briggs & Stratton. Great deal as an and of season mark down.

It came/shipped with some light assembly instructions some of which were already complete when I uncrated it. No problem.

However, I have noticed from standing behind it, down on the right, off the motor, below and forward a bit from the pull start there are two wires hanging out that side. There is a coupler on the end as if they should plug in somewhere but I can't see where and it's not mentioned in the instructions or manual.

Any help?

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
Hi Murphy,
welcome to the forum!
that is almost certainly a wire to plug in a light.
I tried googling for info, and couldnt find anything definitive about it though..
but that's most likely it..unless anyone has a different idea?

I dont know if there is any optional "light kit" for your machine or not..I would guess no..but rather than have different engines for different models, they probably used one engine for several different models..some of which have lights, and some dont..the wire is still there on the engine however either way..I would guess the wire is supposed to be "tucked in" under the shrouding so the owners of non-light equipped machines never even see it! ;) but yours was left hanging out for some reason..

Scot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Murphy,
welcome to the forum!
that is almost certainly a wire to plug in a light.
I tried googling for info, and couldnt find anything definitive about it though..
but that's most likely it..unless anyone has a different idea?

I dont know if there is any optional "light kit" for your machine or not..I would guess no..but rather than have different engines for different models, they probably used one engine for several different models..some of which have lights, and some dont..the wire is still there on the engine however either way..I would guess the wire is supposed to be "tucked in" under the shrouding so the owners of non-light equipped machines never even see it! ;) but yours was left hanging out for some reason..

Scot
Thanks! We'll see if there are any other opinions forthcoming but for now, you are the leader in the clubhouse!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Agree that it is probably an optional headlight connector. It's a good thing. Many of us without headlights wish our machine came provisioned with an alternator. It's not exactly easy or cheap to add one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where would I get a headlight to add, and where would I mount it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
You can find them on Ebay. You want to stay away from automotive driving or fog lights as they need too much electricity. Most are around 55 watts and I know my craftsman blowers will only run 18 watt. Some of the newer stuff like yours will run 20/25 bulbs like an 880. If you google GE, Sylvania, Philips .... 880 you'll see the style of bulb. BUT for that you need a housing.
If you buy a cheap flood at Northern tool you need to know what watt bulb or be willing to swap out the new bulb in the housing for one you buy that's the right wattage. Engine numbers will tell what stator output you have.
Post the numbers off the engine itself and someone will likely be able to tell you the output.
One wire is likely yellow and that's for the headlight and the other is red and that would be for heated hand grips.

These are 35 watt: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?escapeXml=false&ipp=24&storeId=6970&Ntt=tractor%2Blight

LEDs are really a nice way to go but they are more $$ Best thing it's a nice bright clean white light they put out and they use less electricity for more light. With LEDs you also need to change the AC output that a stator normally puts out to DC. It's not hard but it's an additional step to get them to work correctly.

LED how to: http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/6602-upgrading-your-snowblower-lights-led-lights.html

Cheap handwarmers: http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/ariens-snowblowers/15737-need-heated-hand-grips.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts