Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ST824. Used it yesterday in the gear it is stuck in and it worked great. Didn't clog up at all like my 68' and '73. Im guessing this one is late 80s early 90s needs a paint job... bad. Whole front looks like rust but inside the bucket is fine. I'm guessing the rod that the friction disk sits on and moves on is rusted and I just need to scrape it off and grease it. Going to give it an oil change and grease all the points I can find on it. Going to do the same with my 73 8 hp also but the only thing wrong with that is low oil. I have a 1974 6 hp parts machine laying around and it has an electric start on it, this new one doesn't which I was surprised to see. Can I switch it over, or because it's a smaller engine I need a bigger one? Going to the shop now to try greasing the rod and write down the serial numbers so I can find out what year it is. Try to get pictures of all my machines as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
congrats on the purchase of the ST824

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the machine says it can take electric starter and lights on a sticker by the way. I can just hook any ole' 12 volt light for like moped or something right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it had the big wheels and the differential. Well All of mine have the diff, I guess I have just been lucky. This was my first one with the large wheels and he just put snow hogs so $50 was worth it over a simple paint job and getting the gear lever to move.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Some engines put out AC and some put out DC. Some even have both. While most 12v lights will probably work, you have to be careful of the wattage. Most small stators are low amperage.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Friction wheel assembly is frozen to the shaft it slides on. Not a Biggie.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ya got the friction wheel loose greased up everything now it works like a beast. 1st Gear barely moves the machine same with reverse but the rest works great, I'm hoping I just got some grease on their that needs to wear off, or do I have to make the chain tighter? Trying the light tomorrow and maybe even painting it. I have yet to see if my 6 hp starter on a 1974 ariens will even match the teeth on this, hope that works though.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ya got the friction wheel loose greased up everything now it works like a beast. 1st Gear barely moves the machine same with reverse but the rest works great, I'm hoping I just got some grease on their that needs to wear off, or do I have to make the chain tighter? Trying the light tomorrow and maybe even painting it. I have yet to see if my 6 hp starter on a 1974 ariens will even match the teeth on this, hope that works though.
You might have to adjust the positioning of the friction wheel to the drive disk.

The closer the friction wheel rides to the center of the drive disk, the slower things go. Problem is if you adjust it to go closer to the edge of the drive disk in forward, then reverse will be even slower.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah maybe when I got it loose I just didn't put it back in the right spot. Ill see if I have any wiggle room today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed the impeller kit and the thing really flings the snow now, 20+ feet. The Friction wheel is slightly cracked in an area but other than that it looks good and solid. The thing is instead of 1 rod, it also has a rod above and below that the friction wheel clamp holds onto while the friction wheel is on the middle rod. It doesn't seem really adjustable. Should I just put it in first and try to whack it closer to the edge of the disk?

Edit: My 1968 Pulls me around in top gear, I have to run basically. If I could get this ST824 to do that it would be unstoppable. Plan to impeller kit the 68 and 73 some point this week.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Installed the impeller kit and the thing really flings the snow now, 20+ feet. The Friction wheel is slightly cracked in an area but other than that it looks good and solid. The thing is instead of 1 rod, it also has a rod above and below that the friction wheel clamp holds onto while the friction wheel is on the middle rod. It doesn't seem really adjustable. Should I just put it in first and try to whack it closer to the edge of the disk?

Edit: My 1968 Pulls me around in top gear, I have to run basically. If I could get this ST824 to do that it would be unstoppable. Plan to impeller kit the 68 and 73 some point this week.

Is the external shift rod adjustable, the part that comes down from the shift lever?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Please DON'T "whack" your friction disc to try and adjust it.
What is you machines model and serial numbers ??

If first is really slow and reverse is really slow then you likely have it in the right spot :blink: Not what you want to hear but they purposely make reverse pretty slow so if you fall the machine doesn't run over you or push you down to begin with.

To get a faster reverse you're going to have to give up speed in every forward gear as you shift the friction disc further on the reverse side. At some point if adjusted too far 1st becomes neutral :banghead: And by then neutral is also reverse.

You mentioned the other machine is faster and the same applies. If you try to make this faster you also make reverse slower. :facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Clean the drive plate and friction wheel rubber with brake cleaner. Any grease will cause slipping. Also make sure the drive belt is tight. A weak or broken Belt tension spring can cause slippage

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
put the shifter in the highest forward speed, and see where the rubber disk is contacting the drive plate. If its already near the edge, that's the best it will get. Put it in neutral, and see that the rubber disk is roughly over the centre of the drive plate, which means it would be not going either forward or reverse. then put it it full reverse, and see where the rubber hits the plate. Don't bash or whack anything. If you got grease on the rubber or the plate, clean it off. I likely won't wear off and it might damage the rubber both from slipping and from the chemistry of the grease not getting along with the rubber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Noticed the drive belt itself is actually kind of loose compared to the auger belt which is tight. I'm guessing this should be tighter? Just tighten the screw? Going to clean the friction wheel and drive disk. Still no answer with the electric start? I guess I'll just try hooking it up, just got some nice orange paint mixed up also so the rusty bucket look shall be gone soon and it will look brand new. Paddle Kit installed yesterday, throws insane now but if I could get the drive perfect I know it will throw further.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts