Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a good deal on a Craftsman 29" 9hp blower today for $40. It's in real nice cond. and the guy says it just won't start. Picked it up and will work on it this week, sounds likes like bad fuel and carb clean. Oil is clean and there is like hardly any rust, even the wheels are nice on it. Looks like this one.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Good deal. I have the same a few months ago for $40. It had a new carb but was surging.
20210215_143837.jpg

Reactions: Auger1

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sure would be nice to have that tall shute, this on has the old Murray style. I had a chance after cleaning the driveway of the itsy bitsy snow we had today, for sure it needs carb work cannot move the choke hardly at all, the primer bulb hose is busted and the electric starter just buzzes but all in all it look good.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
None of the 9hp 29" snowblowers came with the metal chute, but they can be retrofitted. You want to look for an older Murray-built snowblower with the metal chute. I once picked up a 5hp 24" Craftsman snowblower for $30 just for the tall metal chute, then swapped chutes, then sold the donor with the short plastic chute for a small profit.

Here's a photo of a similar donor snowblower

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've flipped a couple of these... they usually come with the non-adjustable carbs and the last one was fitted with the ubiquitous $15 aftermarket adjustable carb and a taller metal chute.

View attachment 176295
Wow, a left-handed model. Never seen one before.

Reactions: db130

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal. I have the same a few months ago for $40. It had a new carb but was surging. View attachment 176302
Mine looks exactly like yours. Today I got to work on the beast and while the electric starter is funky I did find that the carb was gummed up on the outside badly, so bad that the choke and throttle would not even move. I gave it a little PB Blaster and freed that up but still no start. Pulled the new spark plug and it was dry with no signs of fuel on it, sprayed some carb cleaner in the hole popped the plug back in and it fired right off and died, needs carb work. Went out and plowed the backyard with the Ariens and washed my car, after that was done I started work again. Pulled the carb popped the bowl off and surprisingly it was not real dirty inside. The main jet was plugged solid as was the small hole in the idle screw, got all clean out and put back together but I did one other thing that I thought should be done first, I drained the fuel tank. Put every thing back together added new fuel and it popped right off and ran pretty well. Set the idle and high speed with the tach (was at 3000 RPM) and the only thing it does now is some surging and popping at higher speeds. How do you guys or what hole do you drill opening up the main jet for more fuel on a Tecumseh? I do have some adjustable jets from other carbs but I am not sure if they will work on a newer one.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I set the Tecumseh RPMs at 3,550 max 3,600, imo minimum 3,400.

To drill any jets, best to have a micro drill set plus numbered drill bits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the internet where a lot of guys pay 10% the cost of stuff they buy lol. gun forums the same where a guy buys a $1500 shotgun of rifle at a garage sale for $10.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's a keeper after putting the Amazon adjustable carb and the paddle mod on the machine. Cut into a 13" ice and snow in my backyard like cutting through butter tossing the snow 25ft. in the air, wife got a chuckle out of that when the ice was busting off the small branches on the maple tree. Will be taking the taller shute and electric starter off my Spirit snow blower and selling that one. Best $50 I ever spent on a big machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts